PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/Pf Race] Nightmare - An aberrant race

CinuzIta
2013-05-06, 08:56 AM
Hello everybody!

I was creating some thralls for a major Illithid boss in my campaign, when I thought "why not making them a playable race?". So I proceeded in disempowering them a bit and these is what I came up with. What do you think?

Nightmares

Nightmares were first created, they didn't came to life just like all the other races. Illithids have long recognized the versatility and the ability to adapt proper of the humans and, having decided that they could do some good slaves if they were a bit stronger in the physical, they decided to mutate them using other aberrations' blood.

They called the result just "slave"; "Nightmare" is a name given to them by surface races because of the wicked appearance of the most powerful members of this species.

The mind flayers keep them in captivity, making them mate once a year in order to maintain the fixed number of slaves; if the number of slaves is too high, Mind Flayers simply kill them.

120 years ago, some nightmares rebelled to their masters and, after killing them, managed to freed themselves and created some colonies in the Underdark or in caves under mountains where they live relatively safe while some others have become adventurers; still, a lot of them are still Illithids' slaves.

Without taking in account the variables body parts, a Nightmare look similar to a human when he comes to life, but he has one or two wierd physical attributes. Nightmares usually have pale skin with black veins, that can be noticed very easily under their skin. They also have black, white or silvery hair and their eyes' colours can span from a brilliant purple to red or gold. The are as tall as a human and can live as long as one of them.

Racial Stats

+2 to One Ability Score and -2 to Cha: Nightmare characters gain a +2 racial bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature, legacy of their humans ancestors. However, because of their wicked appearance, they suffer a malus of -2 to their Charisma (this malus only applies in D&D 3.5 plays).
Type/Size: Aberration (Nightmare). Medium size.
Speed: Nightmares have a base land speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Nightmares can perfectly see in darkness of any kind up to 60 feet.
Skilled: Nightmares gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.
Accustomed to mind control: having served Illithids for long time before rebelling, Nithmares have developed some sort of enchantments resistance. Nightmares gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
Aberration Blood: a Nightmare get Aberration Blood (LoM) as a bonus feat at first level. Moreover, the Nightmare develops other aberrant traits as he gets more powerful. He can select another Aberrant bonus feat when he reaches 5 Hit Dices and another one evey five levels thereafter. The Nightmare must still meet the feat's prerequisites in order to select it as a bonus feat.
Mixed Blood: despite being aberrations, Nightmares are vulnerable to spell like hold person and dominate person just like a human is, because of the trace of human blood flowing in their veins.
Languages: Nightmares begin play speaking Common and Undercommon.

Edit: if you have ideas for new aberrant feats I'll be more than happy to see them..for the moment, the only new feat I've thougt of is one that give bite and claw attacks to the character..

EdroGrimshell
2013-05-06, 10:55 AM
Check my Sig.

Will edit in a critique soonish

EDIT:

Racial Stats

+2 to One Ability Score: Nightmare characters gain a +2 racial bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature, legacy of their humans ancestors.
Type/Size: Aberration (Nightmare). Medium size.
Speed: Nightmares have a base land speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Nightmares can perfectly see in darkness of any kind up to 60 feet.
Skilled: Nightmares gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.
Accustomed to mind control: having served Illithids for long time before rebelling, Nithmares have developed some sort of enchantments resistance. Nightmares gain a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
Aberration Blood: a Nightmare get Aberration Blood (LoM) as a bonus feat at first level. Moreover, the Nightmare develops other aberrant traits as he gets more powerful. He can select another Aberrant bonus feat when he reaches 5 Hit Dices and another one evey five levels thereafter. The Nightmare must still meet the feat's prerequisites in order to select it as a bonus feat.
Mixed Blood: despite being aberrations, Nightmares are vulnerable to spell like hold person and dominate person just like a human is, because of the trace of human blood flowing in their veins.
Languages: Nightmares begin play speaking Common and Undercommon.

Well, these are definitely stronger than humans, that's for sure. If these are for Pathfinder their fine as is, but for 3.5, they're a little strong. Only a little though. I'd say give them a -2 penalty to Cha as well, that way it balances out a little more for 3.5 play and advise removing it for Pathfinder.

Everything else looks good, and this would do well for a character I've been working on lately, an epic level archpriest/quasideity that acts as the leader for an entire city.

CinuzIta
2013-05-06, 11:15 AM
thank you both for the suggestions and for pointing me out your work on aberrant blood (that definitely made my day)!

Also I'm glad to see that this can be of use to someone other than me!

If you don't mind, I'm writing you a pm about an aberrant feat I was thinking at lately, so that maybe you could give me your impressions about it since, looking at your sig, you seems to know quite well the aberrations!