PDA

View Full Version : Metal, Anyone?

God_of_Luck
2006-11-25, 07:03 PM
New Iron Maiden record this year. Next one, chances are these bands release new albums:

- Heaven and Hell (a.k.a. Black Sabbath with Dio!)
- Judas Priest
- Megadeth
- Metallica
- Velvet Revolver

Which are you band excites you the most?

Vaniel
2006-11-25, 07:11 PM
Hummmm

Metallica, a new album?

Let's pray GOD (expression) that their CD will be better then their St.Anger CD...

BlueWizard
2006-11-26, 05:18 AM
I'll want to hear them first. But, I am interested.

Lord of the Helms
2006-11-26, 05:36 AM
The New Maiden album was a pleaseant surprise, my favorite album they did in eleven years. Though I have to say, the new Virgin Steele and Blind Guardian albums are better (not surprisingly), and the new Hammerfall is (surprisingly) at least as good.

I'm very intersted in the new Sabbath album with Dio. I wish this reunion would stick, as I consider their previous joint works the peaks of both Sabbath's and Ronnie James Dio's works, but we know it won't happen :(

Judas Priest's new release, about this one I am...wary is the right word, I guess. A concept album about the life and prophecies of Nostradameus? F*ck the What Now? O_o

Megadeth, I am interested in the new one. The System Has Failed was their first album I liked since Youthanasia.

Metallica, I couldn't care less. As far as I'm concerned they've not put out anything worthwhile in over two decades.

I heard Virgin Steele will release a new live album, possibly a DVD too, next year, which would be awesome. I know they filmed the show I was at a year ago so I might just be on the DVD my own self :smallcool:. Their next studio album shouldn't be too far away too as David Defeis has written some sixty-odd songs over the last six years, so even more goodness ahead :)

Oh yeah, and I know the guys from Orphaned Land are working on their fourth album. The last two were both excellent and quite unique pieces of MIddle Eastern Folk Metal, so I'm looking forward to the next one too.

Gamma Ray are gonna bring out both a new live DVD which should rule as they're one of the best live bands I've ever had the pleasure to see, and a new studio album which I hope will be better than the last two, which were merely "decent".

Don't know when Heathen are finally going to release their new album, it seems they are still looking for a label :(

I'm also wondering if Crimson Glory will be able to make a comeback with their new album, the last two were rather poor efforts sadly :(

God_of_Luck
2006-11-30, 09:13 PM
Not much, but http://www.megadeth.com (http://www.megadeth.com/) has a demo of Gears of War (the song).

Amotis
2006-11-30, 09:32 PM
Metallica needs to stop taking themselves so seriously, get stinking drunk again, grow their hair long again, and rock out like the did in the day.

Flabbicus
2006-11-30, 10:45 PM
I have The Dark Ride by Helloween, and Powerslave by Iron Maiden, as well as Come Clarity by In Flames.

TinSoldier
2006-11-30, 11:30 PM
New Iron Maiden record this year. Next one, chances are these bands release new albums:

- Heaven and Hell (a.k.a. Black Sabbath with Dio!)That would be great! I love that song! And I really like Dio.

- Judas Priest
- Megadeth
- Metallica
- Velvet RevolverMeh.

Is the new Maiden any good? The only one of theirs I have is Live After Death but I really love that album.

October
2006-12-01, 02:51 AM
I have heard some of Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and Metallica. I didn't like Metallica's music that much, but Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden have some pretty good songs. I can't say I listen to them that much though.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-06, 09:49 PM
I love Maiden and Helloween. And Kalmah and Wintersun and Carcass and Stratovarius and...

Lord of the Helms
2006-12-09, 08:58 AM
Is the new Maiden any good? The only one of theirs I have is Live After Death but I really love that album.

I'm a Maiden fan for several years now, have their entire back catalogue, and I personally think it's the best they did in well over a decade, but it doesn't really sound much like the stuff they did on Live After Death. Definitely deserves a listen, but they do have many better albums imo (especially everything they did in the 80s except for "Somewhere in Time"; I also love "The X-Factor" but a lot of people hate that one).

Narmoth
2006-12-09, 01:46 PM
T

Maiden are GREAT. (period). Also their newest disc is very good, combining the 80's Maiden of Dave and Adrian with the acoustic parts introduced by Janick.

When it comes to "Heaven & Hell", I believe it's only a touring effort, with no plans of recording an album (except from 3 songs to be included on the Black SAbbath Dio years disc) since Iommi and Dio have tried to reunite the band earlier unsuccesfully.

Will suggest to everyone to buy the newest album of Sieges Even,the old and now ressuected band of the Hollswarts-brothers (have participated on drums and bass on one or more albums of Blind Guardian, Angra, Rhapsody of Fire)

Thiel
2006-12-10, 11:41 AM
I think A Matter of Life and Death is a great album.
The concert they held in Aalborg last month was great.

God_of_Luck
2006-12-10, 03:33 PM
April 3 is the day expected for the launch of the compilation named "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years" (it will include 2 new songs).

Flabbicus
2006-12-10, 03:43 PM
You convinced me to buy the album off of iTunes (not that it was that hard considering I've recently been on an Iron Maiden spending spree). I'm not disappointed, to say the least. :biggrin:

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-11, 05:19 AM
Anyone here listen to post-metal? Mouth of the Architect, Isis, Cult of Luna? It is a narrow style, with a lot of doom metal influences, but it sounds great. With that, does anyone listen to doom metal? I love Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Solitude Aeturnus, Anathema, and some others. Also, any Viking Metal fans? I like Ensiferum and Thyrfing. And Melodic Death Metal, I loves that. Carcass, Kalmah, Wintersun, I love em all. And Cryptopsy. I love Cryptopsy.

Wow. I am fifteen, and I probably said half-a-dozen bands you have never heard of.

Ethdred
2006-12-11, 06:15 AM
Wow. I am fifteen, and I probably said half-a-dozen bands you have never heard of.

Well, yeah - that's the (part of) point of being 15. It's the 15 year olds who can't name bands I've never heard of that I worry about. Then again, I could probably name 20 bands you've never heard of - all of whom you'd like about as much as I'd like something called post-metal! Viking metal sounds fun - is it anything like Manowar?

It's wierd - there was a time when the list of bands in the OP would have sent me into cartwheels (purely mentally of course), but now I'm not really bothered. I'm even going to see Maiden this month, and didn't even know they had a new album out. I might get it, but then Dance of Death didn't really shake me up. As others have said, I really don't care what Metallica do these days. The Sabbath/Dio thing might be interesting, but I'm not going to rush out and buy it - the first two albums are classics and Live Evil was the first Sabbath I heard, but that third one they did passed me buy.

Strangely, I think the album I'm most likely to get is the Velvet Revolver one - at least I can pretend that I'm not old and jaded...

Khantalas
2006-12-11, 06:26 AM
I'm 16 and I can't name a single band you haven't heard of. Unless it's a Turkish band, and you aren't Turkish.

Like Athor, and Lost Symphony, or Moribund Oblivion.

Fredricus
2006-12-11, 06:31 AM
I'm waiting for the new megadeth album. The Dio and blacksabbath get together sounds interesting. I have alot of Dio albums and I have a Blacksabbath with Dio album.

I've been looking into Nordic bands recently instead of the other big names. It's nice to know bands from my corner of the world. Finland is a great place to live. I've heard Kalmah and Wintersun live, so I know what you are talking about. I'm more into goth and melodic. In music it's important that it is somehow melodic and you can listen to lyrics(if it has some).

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-11, 08:12 AM
I have a habit of avoiding most really popular metal bands: I hate Metallica, only listen too the very least of DragonForce etc. I suppose it is the indie side of my musical tastes coming through into my metal ones- post metal is another good example of that. Viking metal is metal that is based on Viking mythology. So, it may or may not be like Manowar: it depends on the band who is playing it. And yes, Finland and the rest of Scandinavia is the center of metal on earth- most of my favourite bands come from there, and I would love to go there. A lot of the bands over in Scandinavia are quite obscure, but have musical talent that far surpasses most bands from America, Britain and Australasia. Melodic Death metal is the one style where Scandinavia is the best: I have only heard one non-Scandinavian Melodic death metal band that had any musical merit whatsoever. This was Carcass, and they have one of the best Melodic Death Metal albums ever produced (Heartwork, for those that do not know).

Oh, and post-metal is a fusion of post rock and metal. It doesn't use much riffing or solos, it focuses on atmosphere and chord changes, stuff like that. It is hard to explain, so go to the Wikipedia article on post-metal to get the summary. It resembles doom metal a lot, though. All I know is that it sounds goddamn awesome.

Lord of the Helms
2006-12-11, 01:54 PM
Anyone here listen to post-metal? Mouth of the Architect, Isis, Cult of Luna? It is a narrow style, with a lot of doom metal influences, but it sounds great. With that, does anyone listen to doom metal? I love Candlemass, Reverend Bizarre, Solitude Aeturnus, Anathema, and some others.

I can't stand Sludge and am not much into Doom, but Solitude Aeternus and Candlemass ain't bad. Forsaken is a cool Doom band, as is Electric Wizard. Boris has done some cool Drone Doom, too.

The only Doom Metal album I truly love, however, is Sabbath's Dehumanizer.

Also, any Viking Metal fans? I like Ensiferum and Thyrfing.

It's okay, but it gets really old really fast. Turisas is pretty cool, Equilibrium and Moonsorrow aren't bad either. A really amazing Viking Metal band that doesn't sound anything like most of the ordinary ones is Tyr from the Faroe Islands.

In general, I greatly prefer non-Scandinavian Folk Metal bands over your average Scandinavian Viking or Folk bands - it has more lasting value and doesn't all sound exactly the friggin same. Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Skyclad, In Extremo, Subway to Sally, Schandmaul, The Lord Weird Slough Feg etc etc etc :smallsmile:

Viking metal sounds fun - is it anything like Manowar?

Well, not really. Viking Metal doesn't really sound much like Traditional Heavy Metal. It's very catchy, usually pretty fast and heavy on blast beats, and strongly influenced by Scandinavian Folk.

Melodic Death metal is the one style where Scandinavia is the best: I have only heard one non-Scandinavian Melodic death metal band that had any musical merit whatsoever. This was Carcass, and they have one of the best Melodic Death Metal albums ever produced (Heartwork, for those that do not know).

Arsis from the US one of the few more interesting melodeath bands around these days. A much more technical approach than your average Scandinavian band, and frankly they don't just sound like the five hundredth Dark Tranquillity/In Flames/Arch Enemy-clone.

Also, the Grailknights are a fun, catchy melodeath/power metal band.

Oh yeah, far as Carcass goes, I'd pick Necroticism over Heartwork any day. And mind, Heartwork IS a good album :smallwink:

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-11, 05:44 PM
Yeah, well, I never really enjoyed grindcore much, so that is why I didn't like it. My high school music teacher used to be in a death metal band, so all the metal fans like him.

Celtic Metal is better than Viking metal, I agree.

I like doom metal because of its necessary focus on emotion over technicality- while you can pull some tricks while at a slow speed, it is harder than when at high speed, so emotion is a primary focus over speed. Do not get me wrong, I like fast music too- my most listened too artist is Michael Angelo Batio, but I prefer emotion over technicality

Anyone have Sun Baked Snow Cave? it is a collaboration album by some person, and has one song that is 63 minutes long. I do not have it- my city has very little in terms of metal music and I am too young to use iTunes.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 06:48 PM
definately velvet revolver

God_of_Luck
2006-12-13, 01:38 PM
A cool video I found while reading (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/: (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2bRzhkGNJI

JabberwockySupafly
2006-12-13, 06:43 PM
Maiden is always a big deal. I just saw Megadeth with Archenemy, Caliban & Soulfly on Gigantour. Soulfly is the most boring and repetitive band I have ever heard, but Archenemy..*Drools profusely* Good God they rock.

As for Judas Priest, I'm hesitant as it's hard to beat their old work. Metallica just needs to find a nice quiet hole to crawl into and die. Sabbath + Dio is just...yeah. Dio. I mean, you'll be hard pressed to find another name that's as synonymous with the word ROCK as RJ Dio.

As for the current discussion with metal music, I've always been an open-minded guy with metal. I understand, but don't agree, with sub-genres of music. If it's heavy, and I like it, it's metal. I can listen to Nightwish (anyone who calls Nightwish Goth will be slapped. They are more of less Conceptual or Progressive Metal, not goth. Chick Singers do not equal Goth.Type O Negative is Goth, The Cure is Goth, neither have chick singers.) for hours on end and then suddenly switch to God Forbid, and then go for Blue Oyster Cult , and then on to Candlemass, and then on to Virgin Steele (which happened to spawn the greatest Metal song of all time Crown of Glory (Unscarred), such a riveting piece of metal, really gets the blood flowing) and so on and so forth. I just don't see a point in nitpicking music (except for my mini-rant regarding Nightwish [NOT GOTH]....) but hey, whatever floats yer goat.

Shadow of the Sun
2006-12-13, 07:23 PM
Ummm, Nightwish ARE symphonic gothic metal. But that has nothing to do with goths. It uses gothic (i.e. the time period, not the lameass counterculture) imagery. If you like Nightwish, you would like The Gathering. Gothic metal has nothing at all to do with goths. Trust me on this. I detest the goth subculture, and I can say Nightwish are gothic metal, because the subculture has nothing to do with it.

Narmoth
2006-12-14, 05:48 AM
Some known and less know bands of different metal-subgenres:
Melodic Death Metal:
- Opeth http://www.myspace.com/opeth
a band that mixes wery heavy death with more melodic stuff, with progressive metal and with jazz, making very long and very cool songs

Progressive Trash (this subgenre-name is mostly out of use, but fits for my purpose):
- Nevermore http://www.nevermore.tv (http://www.nevermore.tv/)
the famous Seattle metalband that combines trashmetal and melodic death with realy cool clean vocals and inteligent, if a bit drugged lyrics.

- Sieges Even http://www.siegeseven.com/music.htm
Was called progressive trash when the band started round 86, bur should realy be described as very progressive rock/metal, as the sound is more acoustic/rock than metal, but the songwriting is rooted in metal. This band was Oliver and Alex Holzwarths (blind guardian and Rhapsody of Fire) original band that had a reunion in 1999/2000.

Prog/Speedmetal:
- Dreamtone http://www.dreamtone.net/english/index2.htm
A turkish power/progmetal band running their own label.
- Excelsis http://www.excelsis.ch/
Swiss powermetal band with folkmusic influences

More to come when I have time :smallsigh:

Ambrogino
2006-12-14, 07:11 AM
Trust me on this. I detest the goth subculture, and I can say Nightwish are gothic metal, because the subculture has nothing to do with it.

You're fifteen. How do you even know "the" goth subculture (as if there's only one) enough to detest it? Like most of the other sub-metal genres Goth is divided an enormous ammount into subsets and cliques, bands crossing over or being claimed by different types, fashion, musical style and the like all vary wildly. Gothic Metal crosses over into several Goth areas, as does Black Metal, Industrial, and even some areas of Pop or Techno. Goth as a label has now spread enough into the public consciousness that it's often used as a (inaccurate) label for anyone in black with or without makeup, which covers a hell of a lot of the metal sub-genres.

Personally I like to think I've got a fairly wide array of musical tastes, though mostly amongst the metal sub-genres. I've never been able to get into the vocal style used in most of the something-core bands (often described as screaming or grunting). Done sparingly and mixed in with more contemporary vocals, such as by Epica on Consign to Oblivion, it can work fantastically well but I find it jarring for entire tracks, let alone entire albums.

from the Original list

Maiden - the new albums good, but personally I preferred Dance of Death more.
Sabbath - I'll definatly be checking it out, but I might try before I buy
Priest - Never been a huge fan. Not entirely sure why
Megadeth - Probably a pick and choose the tracks I want rather than get the album. Mustaine can be great, or just completly insane and get the albums out just for the sake of it.
'tallica - I've actually kinda enjoyed Metallica's constant reinventions, but St Anger was godawful. I still don't even know the name of the guy who replaced Jason, but they'd be better of getting Jason back and not touring (being unable to give a good show was cited as one of the reasons he left) than putting out anoth PoS like that.
Velvet Revolver - The first album had promise but I don't think it quite lived up to it. I'd really like for the second one to really blow me away.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-12-23, 12:43 AM
The new CD from Lacuna Coil was quite disappionting. Their earlier work (unleashed memories, the Lacuna Coil EP, etc) were much better. The best part of the CD was the "Enjoy the Silence" cover.

Tom_Violence
2006-12-23, 09:17 AM
No, thanks. I'm on a diet.