PDA

View Full Version : What is your most interesting/favorite mundane item?

killem2
2013-05-06, 04:28 PM
I don't know why I love these things so much, but I just do.

I love the winches. I've used them in so many ways to help people get out of pit traps, lift or pull things at a distance.

limejuicepowder
2013-05-06, 04:30 PM
Not in the spirit of what you're asking, but wand chambers are pretty boss.

Gold and torches, for a (slightly) more serious answer.

Illarion
2013-05-06, 04:38 PM
Chalk. Never leave home without it.

Vultawk
2013-05-06, 04:40 PM
Rope. Standard uses are great, but when players get creative, they usually go for the rope first.

Shining Wrath
2013-05-06, 04:41 PM
Do tanglefoot bags count?

If not that, grappling hooks. A grappling hook turns an unclimbable wall or slope into an exercise in taking 20 on your throwing skill.

Urist
2013-05-06, 04:41 PM
...Eggshell Grenades? Definitely the cheesiest.:smallbiggrin:

Krobar
2013-05-06, 04:45 PM
My personal favorite would technically be a homebrew item, I guess...

Municipal code books.

I have an epic character from a spelljamming campaign that has municipal code books for Greyhawk, Waterdeep, Sigil, Suzail, Hardby, Union, Brass, Dis, Bral, and a few other major cities. It's how the party managed to not get in trouble a few times.

limejuicepowder
2013-05-06, 04:57 PM

Municipal code books.

I have an epic character from a spelljamming campaign that has municipal code books for Greyhawk, Waterdeep, Sigil, Suzail, Hardby, Union, Brass, Dis, Bral, and a few other major cities. It's how the party managed to not get in trouble a few times.

This is awesome, though I'd hate to be the DM with players that favor exhaustive research.

Krobar
2013-05-06, 05:01 PM
This is awesome, though I'd hate to be the DM with players that favor exhaustive research.

Yeah, he learned pretty quickly that if he was going to have us go somewhere he needed to know the laws there. :smallamused:

rexreg
2013-05-06, 11:57 PM
lard (seriously)
it can be stuffed in your ears if you encounter creatures w/ sonic abilities...
it works as a lubricant (axle grease)
it can be thrown @ monsters as they chase you
it can be used if you want to mess w/ NPC's in an irritating but non-violent sort of way
it can disguise your scent
works as hair gel
can be used in cooking

Miranius
2013-05-07, 08:15 AM
string and soarwood (wood that is lighter than air). the possibilities are.... endless :smallbiggrin:

taking a cue from one of my players characters: a brick. (he almost made that brick into a legacy item so often did it save the parties life... )

killem2
2013-05-07, 09:02 AM

Municipal code books.

Are these actual items? Where do you find stuff like that?

Krobar
2013-05-07, 11:18 AM
Are these actual items? Where do you find stuff like that?

No. They aren't listed anywhere in any books, making them basically a homebrew item as I mentioned. After being fined extremely heavily for spelljamming over the city of Waterdeep, we decided we needed to know the laws of the various cities we visited. Every city has a written record of the laws / ordinances they've enacted, and enforcement and punishment provisions for those laws, so through some roleplaying and visiting city halls, etc., we were able to come up with them.

Later on we had the books enchanted to always be updated with any changes in the law as well, making them even MORE invaluable.

Deaxsa
2013-05-07, 11:30 AM
chalk and a small steel mirror. i swear, you could topple a kingdom with those two items

Vizzerdrix
2013-05-07, 11:36 AM
Shapesand. Always the shapesand.