PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Arrows: Opinions and Reactions to a Theoretical Build

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-06, 05:11 PM
First some assumptions oked and given by the DM. I know some of these are contested. I stand on the other side of at least one of these, but I built it because it is awesome. I do not want arguments about whether anything in this number list is legal RAW or otherwise.

1. You can cast multiple Explosive Runes on an object if you can write small enough.
2. Explosive Runes detonate when broken.
3. You can stitch multiple pieces of paper with Explosive Runes on it into a chain like paper towels.
4. An arrow wrapped in the above mentioned paper towels will fly just fine.(let us say a limit of 26 pieces of paper on a mastercraft arrow)
5. If an arrow hits its target it breaks detonating Explosive Runes cast on it or detonating the above mentioned paper towels
6. A person hit by the an arrow in point 5 is considered close enough to read it because he has skin contact even if the writing is to small for the creature to read.
7. Explosive Rune paper explodes when a shrunken object wrapped in it expands.
8. A portal you can see through such as Mirror of Mental Prowess counts as line of sight for Distant Shot
9. Assume longbow or composite longbow.

Remember this build is theoretical and will probably never be used by me, but if I do use it I will be allowed to do exactly it once as per my group's gentlemen's agreement on game breakers. (Once can mean one time, once session, one adventure, or one campaign depending on the cheese and everyone else's power level. One campaign only if the point of the campaign is stupidity/cheese.) I did not optimize the Idea and do not have a full table of everything I put into it because most of it is unnecessary for the arrow stuff.

This build was originally built for epic levels (specifically level 40) but can be modified for any level at witch you can cast explosive runes with varying levels of success. The build uses the Sorcerer instead of Wizard only for number of spell slots and because I do not like Wizards.

THE BUILD
Get into Arcane Archer (for arrow based abilities such as Seeker Arrow.) Get al least +16 BAB by level 20 for full attack. Get at least 20 levels of Sorcerer casting for full spell slots and spells known. Grab Sand Shaper dip of spells known. Get the Epic Spellcasting, Distant Shot and Swarm of Arrows feats. Mandatory spells are Explosive Runes, Shrink, Permanency (preferably in a form you don't spend XP but at lv 40 the cost is much less significant). Divination spells and items are highly recommended as are Contingency and Clone (ESPECIALLY Clone). More than half of my gold went into a ring of Epic Spellcrafting for a ridiculous bonus on Spellcraft. any Epic spells made with this are not to be cast in the field unless you have a surefire way of getting it back if you blowup, so you don't lose it. I also built a fortress that flys and teleports.

THE ARROWS
All arrows should be crafted as colossal and permanently shrunk. Some arrows are wrapped in Explosive Rune paper. Other arrows have Explosive Runes carved into them by making an epic spell to shrink yourself. put as many Explosive Runes on as you have free spell slots (let us say 26 spells for the sake of math latter.) I also used the ring to get a 200ft. Radius 40d10 sonic damage spell permanently cast in the shape of a rune that I put on a couple separate arrows for killing armies of mooks. It explodes when the rune is broken (this way I can have a big damage spell and not bring my ring to the fight.) The radius assumes the area increase on epic seeds only adds 100% of the original area.

MATH
If either of the explosive runes arrows hits the runes detonate because the arrow is broken. the target hit gets no save and takes 26*6d6 (avg=546) force damage. anyone within 10ft, makes 26 separate saves and takes damage accordingly. If the arrow enters an antimagic field it expands into colossal and Explosive Runes are dispelled on the carved arrows of destroyed without blowing up on the rune paper arrows. an arrow weighs 3/20 lbs. so these colossal arrows were crafted to be 600 lbs. each. Falling object damage says they take 3d6 damage + 1d6 for each 10ft. beyond the first of elevation you had (assuming it hits.) it could also do damage as a colossal arrow either instead of falling damage or in addition to depending on DM (I assume it just does falling damage) which is 5d6 damage.

OTHER TACTICS
You could also key the permanent shrink on your rune paper arrows the same word, or set a word for each quiver or just have a few words for a few arrows. Use them like voice activated land mines. One quiver of 20 rune paper arrows has 520 runes in it. That is 520 saves. If they only fail on a natural 1 that is an average of 5607 damage, 546 for evasion and 273 for improved evasion. If they only succeed on a natural 20 that is an average of 10584 damage, 10374 for evasion and 5187 for improved evasion.

Long lived races and immortality are good ideas. My elven archer would stockpile them at one a day when he is on vacation and place a majority of them in a vault in an active volcano that his fortress usually sits in. the vault would be a hollow 10ft. diameter cylinder. After 100 years of vacationing without using ammo my elf would have 36525 arrows assuming real world calender. My DM ruled that the force of detonation would send a shock wave throughout the planet and crack it. The core would be dead and the planet would burn if it didn't shatter. Great option for holding the planet hostage if you get powerful adventurers after you :smallbiggrin:. Also good for mercy killing in case of Cthulhu.

The clones are there for if someone blows up you quiver by accident. Under this interpretation one sword to the quiver and dead.

That's the Idea I came up with a while back. Well before I actually learned how to optimize. In fact it was the third or forth character concept I ever came up with. Inspired by lv40 characters from an epic level campaign that my group tried to do before I started playing. What do you think?

Renen
2013-05-06, 05:36 PM
Nice thought exercise. Would never actually be allowed tho :smallyuk:

Giddonihah
2013-05-06, 05:36 PM
What do you think?

Well.. you dont want any contesting of the RAW.. so i guess you want to know if its awesome assuming that it works? :smallconfused:

It is infact awesome, though explosive runes combined with arrows is a surprisingly common abuse.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-06, 05:48 PM
I realize that there is a lot of explosive runes abuse.
I was asked to post this stuff on here by a friend.

Does anyone know how arrows shrunk to medium do damage when they enter an anti-magic field?

Chronos
2013-05-06, 07:16 PM
By RAW, a projectile weapon such as an arrow does damage according to the size of the bow that launched it, not according to the size of the arrow itself. Thrown weapons, however, do damage according to the weapon's size. So replace the arrows with javelins or darts and you're fine.