PDA

View Full Version : [PF] A Raging Conundrum ...

Eldonauran
2013-05-06, 06:49 PM
I was enjoying an entertaining past-time (character building), when I came across an interesting character concept. I've noticed a few 'grey' or 'patchy' areas that I would like to get clarification on. Also looking to get opinions on this, whether RAW, RAI or what you would do to resolve the hiccup.

Viking, Fighter Archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/viking), specifically:

At 4th level, a viking gains the rage ability as the barbarian class feature, but her barbarian level is considered to be her fighter level –3.

This ability replaces weapon training 1, 2, 3, and 4.

When combined with Urban Barbarian, Barbarian Archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/urban-barbarian), specifically:

When an urban barbarian rages, instead of making a normal rage she may apply a +4 morale bonus to her Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. This bonus increases to +6 when she gains greater rage and +8 when she gains mighty rage. She may apply the full bonus to one ability score or may split the bonus between several scores in increments of +2. When using a controlled rage, an urban barbarian gains no bonus on Will saves, takes no penalties to AC, and can still use Intelligence-, Dexterity-, and Charisma-based skills. This ability otherwise follows the normal rules for rage.

Example, Urban barbarian 2 / Viking 4

Since the rages are different abilities (in name, at least), how would they interact?

Would you count the barbarian levels (2) and the viking levels (4-3=1) together to get effective barbarian level (EBL = 3)?

Would you have two different rage 'pools' to pull rage rounds from? Would you have two different rages you can go into, if you had two rage 'pools'? If only one rage 'pool', would you get to choose which rage to fly into (effectively giving the barbarian better versatility in combat)?

----------------------------------

From my standpoint, I'd rule this as if I were a DM. The character only has one rage 'pool' to pull from, and can choose between whichever rage he wants to activate during that rage session. I would allow the barbarian levels from both class to stack to determine which verision of rage the character has access to (+4/+6/+8) and which rage powers he can choose (based on his EBL). I feel as if it is the simplist and smoothest solution.

If you rule another way, be sure to account for a player wanting to activate controlled and then jumping into the regular rage and getting +8 to Str, Dex and Con (or other combinations of that depending on how they level).

Waker
2013-05-06, 07:57 PM
Hmm, my reading would indicate that you would have two separate rage pools to draw from as they are different abilities. You would not stack the class levels together, as the Berzerker ability doesn't indicate that it stacks with Barbarian levels. As the powers are different, you could activate both at the same time, though if they are applied to the same attribute the effect wouldn't stack, as they are both Morale bonuses.

Haven't read PF much lately, so I could be wrong though.

grarrrg
2013-05-06, 10:14 PM
They stack, because Controlled Raging is optional.

(bold/underline for emphasis)

Controlled Rage (Ex)

When an urban barbarian rages, instead of making a normal rage she may apply a +4 morale bonus to her Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. ... This ability otherwise follows the normal rules for rage.

A level 4 Urban Barbarian can EITHER "normal" Rage, OR Controlled Rage.
A level 4 Viking Fighter can only "normal" Rage.

A level 4 Urban/level 4 Viking (lol wut), can either "normal" Rage as a level 5 Barbarian, OR Controlled Rage as a level 5 Urban.

Same goes for Wild Stalker Ranger, and any class with the Destruction (Rage) Domain.

Eldonauran
2013-05-06, 11:11 PM
A level 4 Urban/level 4 Viking (lol wut)....

Yeah, it's a bit odd but entirely plausible. I think that having the rage abilities of a 17th level Barbarian and the bonus feats of a 18th level fighter (say 2 urban/18 Viking), with the option to trade fighter feats for rage powers, is a mighty combination indeed. Especially, if you can tailor the type of rage you fly into, to the situation.

I'd trade the damage reduction, trap sense and (improved) uncanny dodge, any day of the week for something like that.

grarrrg
2013-05-06, 11:29 PM
Yeah, it's a bit odd but entirely plausible.

I was more loling at being an "Urban Viking", but forgot to change the "lol" after I edited it a bit...

Urban Viking...lolz!

Eldonauran
2013-05-07, 12:30 AM
I was more loling at being an "Urban Viking", but forgot to change the "lol" after I edited it a bit...

Urban Viking...lolz!

Heh, yeah. :smallamused:

Who better to pull that off than a halfling? :smallwink: