PDA

View Full Version : Raising a Mage Under your control (3.5)

Zero grim
2013-05-06, 09:16 PM
I'm currently looking for ways to bring people back from the dead and put them under the control of the reviver, so far I have a few ideas but was wondering if there was a spell that does any of the following better:

True resurrection and Mind Rape - both level 9 spells so its a high cost for scrolls or requires a pair of mages, both spells can be stopped or resisted so not the greatest way to go about this.

Simulacrum - costly way to get half a powerful figure, works without any time limit since death and can even be used while the target is alive, the closest to what I want but not very powerful.

Create undead - not sure if this works or just give you a basic undead of that type, also has the same problem as the first entry, gaining control of the target isn't assured.

Matticussama
2013-05-06, 09:34 PM
The 6th level spell Animate Dread Warrior (FR: Unapproachable East) could be used for this. It raises a creature who retains all class features, feats, and skills that they qualify after their stat adjustments. The creature's Int takes a -6 penalty (minimum 3) and their charisma takes a Cha -4 penalty (minimum 3). However, if you animate a Wis-based caster this shouldn't be a problem. Alternatively, if the creature's base Charisma was fairly high you could still animate a decent Sorcerer. Wizards are pretty much out of the question with the -6 penalty to Int, but that still gives you plenty of other magic users to animate and control.

TaiLiu
2013-05-06, 09:36 PM
The Dirgesinger has this ability as a capstone, though it is limited by time of death.

The Viscount
2013-05-08, 04:20 PM
While create undead does not give control, rebuking easily solves that problem. The real question is how high a level mage are you planning on bringing back? Create undead does work for all manner of beings besides the ones presented in PHB, one of the better ones being Juju zombie. It's -4 to Int but +2 to Cha so works great for a wis or cha based caster.

WarlockLord
2013-05-08, 04:27 PM
Do note that according to BoVD, create undead can raise casters as bone or corpse creatures. They are uncontrolled, but rebuke undead and master of undeath can go a way toward fixing this...

There's also Diplomacy, but I would advise against invoking those rules, ever.