PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best Touch-range Offensive Spells

Maginomicon
2013-05-07, 03:37 AM
I'm playing an ECL 10: Thri-kreen (2 RHD +2 LA) Racial Class / Divine Spellcaster 4 / Arcane Spellcaster 1 / Mystic Theurge 1. I picked up the sneak attack spellcaster ACF at ECL 3, and the build largely revolves around combo'ing bloodwind and spectral hand with various touch-range offensive spells that would synergize with sneak attack. However, I'm looking into branching out into Save-or-Die and Save-or-Suck touch-range spells.

These are the relevant spells I already have or am considering taking: Inflict Minor Wounds (sneak attack negative energy)
Cure Minor Wounds (sneak attack positive energy)
Flag (Dragon 302 page 50; cantrip short-term invisibility negation)
Touch of Fatigue
Arcane Mark (iffy long-term invisibility negation)
Corrosive Grasp (Spell Compendium page 53)
Parching Touch (Sandstorm page 118)
Wracking Touch (Spell Compendium page 243)
Vampiric Touch
Black Lungs (Ghostwalk page 49; 1/2 spd, lose DEX to AC, -2 Atk for HOURS)
Bestow Curse
Bleed (Complete Champion page 117)
Rusting Grasp
Storm Touch (Magic of Eberron page 103)
Spectral Touch (Libris Mortis page 71)
Overwhelm (Player's Handbook II page 120)
Scalding Touch (Magic of Eberron page 100)

I'm open to hearing about other damage-dealing touch-range spells that don't already do what I have covered, but right now I'm mostly looking for touch-range save-or-die and save-or-suck spells. If I had to guess, there are a number of quality SoD and SoS spells that are overlooked because of their touch-range.

With the playground's help, what are they?

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-07, 03:48 AM
Well Shivering Touch is one you missed, it is slightly broken though. No save 3d6 dex damage. Probably better if you houserule it to a penalty instead of damage but even then its really strong. I believe you can still sneak attack with it but I am not 100% positive if you can sneak attack with non damaging spells.

Malroth
2013-05-07, 03:50 AM
you can but doing so adds negative energy damage not additional ability damage

Maginomicon
2013-05-07, 03:53 AM
Well Shivering Touch is one you missed, it is slightly broken though. No save 3d6 dex damage. Probably better if you houserule it to a penalty instead of damage but even then its really strong. I believe you can still sneak attack with it but I am not 100% positive if you can sneak attack with non damaging spells.Shivering Touch is house-ruled to do a penalty instead of damage (because look at its duration line). Even so, sneak attack wouldn't do anything with it because the sneak attacking with spell rules (Rules Compendium and Complete Arcane) only function with spells that do damage (normal or ability) or energy drain.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-05-07, 03:59 AM
Poison can get nasty as long as your enemy is not immune. The DC scales rather well too.