PDA

View Full Version : The Tessaiga (Magical Katana 3.5)

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 05:28 AM
The Tessaiga

http://images.wikia.com/inuyasha/images/b/b6/Inuyasha_and_Tessaiga_Sword.jpg

This worn looking katana has a heavily chipped blade and its handle is in tatters, looking as if it was found on an old battlefield, long exposed to the weather. While its pretty beat up overall, it was clearly once a masterwork weapon. The blade on closer inspection appears to be made of a strange tooth-like material. Under magical inspection, the blade reveals a faint chaotic aura.

This weapon functions as a masterwork katana for most creatures. However, when drawn by a tiefling or someone with the half-fiend template, the blade transforms. If wielded by a full fledged fiend or someone with the fiendish template, the blade radiates energy and the wielder takes 2d8 untyped damage each round until its dropped.

It becomes a +1 Ghost Touch Greatsword with a heavy curved blade, resembling an exaggerated and disproportional katana. The handguard also sprouts thick white fur. While it appears quite heavy, it actually does not change weight and you can wield it as if it were still a katana. While transformed, it has several abilities (See below).

Windscar (Su):
As a standard action or whenever a foe provokes an attack of opportunity to you, you may forgo all other attacks of opportunity that round to release a powerful burst of energy known as the Windscar at the provoking creature. This takes the form of a 30 ft. cone, dealing normal damage to the target as well as an extra +3d6 force damage to all within its range. Those caught in the blast who succeed a reflex save suffer only half the force damage (DC 10 + half the wielder's level + wielder's charisma modifier).

Backlash Wave (Su):
When caught within the blast of a burst, cone or line shaped area of effect that offers a reflex saving throw, the wielder can forego making a save to make a melee touch attack at the target, ignoring range and distance. This consumes all additional attacks of opportunity you can make that round. If successful, the damage is reflected back at the origin of the AoE and the wielder suffers no damage. If not successful, the blast strikes the wielder with full force and the wielder gets no save.

Fiend-blooded wielders who have reached 6th level or higher can activate a new transformation. The blade now becomes entirely crimson when transformed, as if soaked in blood. While transformed it becomes a +2 Ghost Touch greatsword and ignores hardness 20 or less. You can also use the Barrier Slice ability, in addition to all other abilities above.

Barrier Slice (Su):
The wielder can strike at magical barriers with such immense power that the barrier can possibly be dispelled. The wielder can make one melee attack at his full attack bonus against the barrier as a standard action; Treat the barrier's caster level as its AC. If the roll is successful, the magical barrier is completely dispelled. If unsuccessful, the attack automatically deals damage as normal for a sunder attempt, overcoming all hardness.

Fiend-blooded wielders who have reached 11th level or higher can activate a new transformation. The blade crystallizes, becoming a +3 Ghost Touch greatsword that is made of pure diamond. This blade ignores any hardness 30 or less and you can also use the Adamant Barrage ability, in addition to all other abilities above.

Adamant Barrage (Su):
As a standard action or whenever a foe provokes an attack of opportunity to you, you may forgo all other attacks of opportunity that round to release a powerful spray of shards of pure diamond, known as the Adamant Barrage. While these shards are made of diamond, the shards are worthless and crumble to dust about an hour after appearing. The adamant barrage takes the form of a 30 ft. cone, dealing normal damage as well as an extra +6d6 piercing damage to all within its range, ignoring hardness 30 or less. Those caught in the blast who succeed a reflex save suffer only half the extra piercing damage (DC 10 + half the wielder's level + wielder's charisma modifier).

Fiend-blooded wielders who have reached 16th level or higher can activate a new transformation. The blade's reverse-side becomes covered in dragon scales, becoming a +4 Ghost Touch greatsword. This blade ignores any hardness 30 or less and you can also use the Absorption ability, in addition to all other abilities above.

Absorption (Su):
Whenever transformed, if the blade lands a killing blow on a creature with an elemental subtype, such as Air or Earth (not necessarily the elemental type, but sometimes), the blade gains one of the following weapon properties for 1 hour per wielder's level. The weapon quality granted is based on which type of creature slain.

Slain Creature's Subtype|Weapon Quality
Air Subtype|Shocking Burst
Earth Subtype|Caustic Burst
Fire Subtype|Flaming Burst
Water Subtype|Icy Burst

Fiend-blooded wielders who have reached 21th level or higher can activate the final transformation. The blade becomes completely transparent, inside the appearance of a starry night is plainly visible, as if you were peering into a pocket dimension. The blade becomes a +5 Ghost Touch greatsword, with it ignoring all hardness. You can also use the Banishment ability, in addition to all other abilities above.

Banishment (Meidō Zangetsuha) (Su):
All creatures with the extraplanar subtype are banished from their current location and sent to a random location on their plane of origin. Extraplanar creatures are not subject a saving throw, they are automatically banished.

For creatures without the extraplanar subtype, they are subject a will save (DC 10 + half the wielder's level + wielder's charisma modifier). If successful, they take damage as normal. If unsuccessful, a portal to the abyss opens directly in the creature's square, sucking the creature into the portal to that plane. If used in the abyss, the portal teleports the creature to a random location.

The Mentalist
2013-05-07, 05:43 AM
Nice little minor unique weapon. Don't forget to add fiendish to the list of people who can use this. They're between half-fiends and tieflings.

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 06:23 AM
Nice little minor unique weapon. Don't forget to add fiendish to the list of people who can use this. They're between half-fiends and tieflings.

thanks, done.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-07, 08:15 AM
I'm assuming the Absorption ability is from the Dragon-scaled form, but do you plan to include its final form?

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 08:24 AM
I'm assuming the Absorption ability is from the Dragon-scaled form, but do you plan to include its final form?

Nope. The Tessaiga naturally had the ability to naturally absorb demonic energy, which is how the backlash wave/inuyasha's demonic suppression apparently works, the dragon-scaled form just improved upon it (or so Master Totosai claimed).

The final form where you send a foe to hell with a single swing, with no way of stopping it, or so the anime claimed? In D&D? I'll let that question ring in my ears for a bit... no... hell no...

Absorption was something of my design.

Edit: hmm... maybe i will give it the dragonscale form. the final form is too farfetched for it to work in D&D, imo.

Edit: okay, i did what i said i wasn't gonna. all forms are up.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-07, 08:51 AM
The final form where you send a foe to hell with a single swing, with no way of stopping it, or so the anime claimed? In D&D? I'll let that question ring in my ears for a bit... no... hell no...

Is that really an appropriate response? :smallconfused:

The Meidō Zangetsuha is easily replicated with an offensive Planeshift effect to one of the multiple Hell-like planes.

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 08:54 AM
Is that really an appropriate response? :smallconfused:

The Meidō Zangetsuha is easily replicated with an offensive Planeshift effect to one of the multiple Hell-like planes.

look at the top, lol.

my problem was the "no save" bit that the anime kept saying. it was a one way trip.

inuyasha
2013-05-07, 09:04 AM
so what happens if its wielded by a full demon? does it burn them? it should :D

may...I hug...you thank you SO MUCH :D THIS IS AMAZING!

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 09:07 AM
so what happens if its wielded by a full demon? does it burn them? it should :D

may...I hug...you thank you SO MUCH :D THIS IS AMAZING!

believe it or not, you were on my mind the entire time i made it, i knew youd love it when you saw it. :smallbiggrin:

thought to myself... that Inuyasha guy is gonna get a kick out of this.

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 09:14 AM

Fiendish are actual full extraplanar demons/devils/whatever, and cannot wield it because of this.

inuyasha
2013-05-07, 09:15 AM
we should do an inuyasha DnD project :smallamused: you got one sword done, and I have something similar to the demon crow (i called it the dragon crow, its in my dragons thread) im serious we totally should :smallbiggrin:

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 09:25 AM
we should do an inuyasha DnD project :smallamused: you got one sword done, and I have something similar to the demon crow (i called it the dragon crow, its in my dragons thread) im serious we totally should :smallbiggrin:

Pervy Monk Prestige class, here I come. :smallwink:

Kagome = Favored Soul/Ranger (favoring yokai)
Muroku = Monk
Songo = Ranger (favoring yokai) / Ninja
Inuyasha = Barbarian
Shippo = Illusion spec'd Sorcerer

Barbarian, Monk (with created wind-tunnel curse template), Demon Slayer (Modifier ranger/ninja, specd to kill yokai), Priestess (Modified healer/arcane archer), Trickster (modified bard, focusing on rogue/illusionist)

inuyasha
2013-05-07, 09:30 AM
WOOT! We're really gonna do this

*runs off to make misc. demons and a customizable half demon race*

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 09:38 AM
WOOT! We're really gonna do this

*runs off to make misc. demons and a customizable half demon race*

i might make a few random creatures and races. we need some rule changes overall.

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 09:50 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282491

JennTora
2013-05-07, 03:06 PM
Isn't it spelled tetsu saiga?

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 03:18 PM
Isn't it spelled tetsu saiga?

not that im aware of.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-07, 03:36 PM
not that im aware of.

That spelling is because of a romanization error that occurred during the original English translations of the manga. Viz mistook one of the kanji for another kanji (if memory serves) and as a result translated it as Tetsusaiga. By the time they caught the error though, the misspelling had been too widespread to correct.

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 04:22 PM
That spelling is because of a romanization error that occurred during the original English translations of the manga. Viz mistook one of the kanji for another kanji (if memory serves) and as a result translated it as Tetsusaiga. By the time they caught the error though, the misspelling had been too widespread to correct.

Sounds more like Tetsaiga in the anime. I wasnt aware of that.

Tanuki Tales
2013-05-07, 04:27 PM
Sounds more like Tetsaiga in the anime. I wasnt aware of that.

Su is silent when pronounced in English. Like with Yusuke, Sasuke, Daisuke, etc.

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 04:33 PM
Su is silent when pronounced in English. Like with Yusuke, Sasuke, Daisuke, etc.

not exactly silent, more of a "S" hiss type sound that blends a bit. I get what you're saying, though.

What kills me inside is the Inuyasha characters pronouncing the H in Herb. I've always heard it pronounced as Erb, with the H silent. Kikyo's sister does this a ton.

Debihuman
2013-05-07, 04:35 PM
Creatures lose the Extraplanar subtype when on their home plane. A human would gain the Extraplanar subtype when on any plane other than his home plane i.e. the Prime Material Plane.

Debby

LordErebus12
2013-05-07, 04:36 PM
Creatures lose the Extraplanar subtype when on their home plane.

Debby

forgot about that. thanks for the catch.