Components: V, S, XP
Casting Time: One Round
Range: Personal
Effect: 10ft radius spherical emanation
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
Develop 144,000 gp, 5,760 XP, 3 days

Dispel, Greater Dispel, and Mage's Disjunction spells, spell-like abilities, and even spell-like
effects from magic items no longer work within the area. If targeted against something within
the area, it simple fails, if the area of one of the above spells overlaps the emanation from
Dispel Ward, anything within the area of Dispel Ward is unaffected by the specified spells.
Even antimagic fields have a hard time prevailing against Dispel Ward. When the emanation
from a Dispel Ward meets the area of a antimagic field, the caster of the antimagic field
must make a dispel check (d20+20) against a DC of (11+caster level of the dispel ward's
caster). If he succeeds, the Dispel Ward's emanation is supressed within the antimagic field.
If he fails, the antimagic is supressed within the Dispel Ward's emanation area.
Dispel Ward can only be Dispelled by Target Dispel effects. Area dispel effects do not work
against it.
XP- Casting this spell costs 5,000XP
[hr]

Here are the modifiers (by RAW)
14 (Ward seed)
+18 (one round casting time)
-2 (personal range)
+4 (dispel magic/dispel psionics)
+10 (greater dispel magic)
+16 (Mage's disjunction)
+10 (antimagic field)
- 50 (5,000 xp drain)

Ok, now the reasoning behind the antimagic check clause is this:
As you probably know, antimagic does not always affect an Epic Spell. Therefore, you make that check. If the antimagic supresses it, then it is simply supressed. If this Epic Spell works, then naturally it will work and supress the antimagic.

The clause about the ward only being able to be dispeled by targeted dispel effects is just odd, I'll admit, but that is something in the ward seed, and not something I made up. Sure is handy though.

So is this terrible, underpowered, overpowered, evil, good, what?
Any changes that people suggest?

Jack_Simth
2006-11-25, 10:50 PM
So you're spending 5,000 xp per day you want it up. Umm....

With a duration of 24 hours, you don't need the 1-round casting time. This is a morning prep spell. If you skip the 1-round casting time, and add an extra ten minutes to your casting time (for an 11 total), you pull 38 off your DC. Drop the XP cost, and you're at a net of +12 from where you stand. Can you take 10 to make DC 28 in the morning? Or can you not afford the development costs? Either way, if there's another spellcaster in the party, a 7th level spell slot will give you a -13, putting it at a net -1 from where you stand, at no XP cost for the casting.

But it's your DM you need approval from.

AmberVael
2006-11-25, 10:54 PM
This spell is prepared for a very specific purpose, so this is exactly how I want it to work. What I need is to know if it is balanced.
By RAW, it is legal, but I'm not sure it needs any 'extra' modifiers before it could really be balanced.
I'm using it in the Town Arena (hopefully), so there isn't really a DM. In fact, I'm one of the 'DMs,' but I feel cheap approving it on my own.

Jack_Simth
2006-11-25, 11:15 PM
You mean the place hasn't banned Epic Spellcasting yet? It's so incredibly breakable.... but you're not trying, so....

So I'm guessing the one-round casting time is because you can't pre-cast spells?

As for balanced, well, hard to say. Depends on what everyone else is throwing around.