PDA

View Full Version : Your BBEG monologues, done epically!

Dread Angel
2013-05-07, 08:43 AM
Sooooo I had a brilliant idea.

I am studying audio engineering, and I've recorded mixed mastered and produced a bunch of tracks for my band so far..

But one thing I'm lacking is, material to use for practicing straight speech recording and editing techniques. I could read out a passage from a book or something but where's the point in that?

So I thought, hey, here's an idea. Bear with me a moment.

On one of the tracks on my band's demo, I do some scream vocals. And while I was editing those, I added a few effects and realized that it sounded absolutely demonic with the right tweaks.

So I was thinking.

If anyone wants me to, I'd be happy to record your BBEG's typical BWAHAHAHAHA look how awesome I am moments. Or momentous speeches by angels or gods or demons or whatever.

I have access to very cutting edge technology and a very awesome studio.

So what I would like is this: If you want me to do a recording, send me an email with the following:

the text to be recorded

A short description of the type of character delivering this speech and how you envision it, for example a male demon lord gloating over his impending victory over the PCs, his voice dripping contempt and condescension. His voice should resound with multiple voices at once, with traces of flame-crackling woven around the words.

Or something like that.

Just so I get an idea of the type of effects you're looking for.

EDIT: I'll do the male ones myself, for female ones I may need a bit more time as I'll need to find someone who can do it appropriately well.

EDIT2: After fielding the first couple requests, I realize I forgot an important part of what I need to know - namely, where this is taking place. In a cathedral, outside, in a forest, etc. It's important so I can build the right reverb-room so it sounds like it is where it should be. Don't want your giant satanic cathedral monologue to sound like it's coming out of a Red Bull can..

You can reach me at [email protected]

Malak'ai
2013-05-07, 02:37 PM
Wow. This sounds like an awesome idea! Too bad I don't have any BBEG's in play at the moment to write speeches for otherwise U'd totally consider this!

Weirdlet
2013-05-07, 07:39 PM
Dang. I need to work up some text for this!

Kymme
2013-05-07, 09:42 PM
My good man, I will totally take you up on this offer!

Alleran
2013-05-07, 10:11 PM
The last BBEG my PCs confronted didn't really have a speech. I've learned that when my group sees me going into BBEG-monologue phase, it's their cue to take a surprise round and throw everything they have at him. The most recent scene played out something like this:

*party bursts into council chamber*
*BBEG is lounging in a chair*
"Let us dispense with the pleasantries. You're here and you know who I am. Take your best shot."

Followed by the BBEG winning initiative and casting Erupt from a scroll, collapsing the castle into magma (conveniently, the castle was parked on top of a dormant supervolcano approximately twice the size of Yellowstone that the PCs thought he was trying to activate... he actually wanted the creature powering the supervolcano). That campaign almost ended with the extinction event and "Bad Guy Wins" (or at least got away) before the PCs decided that they were going to pursue him across the planes.

If I come up with a monologue that I can arrange for the party to not interrupt, I will absolutely take you up on the offer, though. :smallsmile:

JoshuaZ
2013-05-07, 11:01 PM
If I come up with a monologue that I can arrange for the party to not interrupt, I will absolutely take you up on the offer, though. :smallsmile:

One of my BBEGs I think is going to specifically design a spell that let's him do this. It essentially lets minds in the area go extra fast, but only as long as the caster is telepathically communicating to them. So he can cast it, monologue a bit, and then fight. The only problem is that it requires an extremely genre aware person to do this. So my current justification for why they'd have the spell is that it allows quick in combat tactical conferences with your people.

Dread Angel
2013-05-08, 01:56 AM
I've updated the OP with another little tidbit I'll need.

I've got a couple really awesome texts to work with, and I'll be getting the studio equipment together for that soonest. And soon, my assistant shall get to run around fixing things for me while I chill back with a Red Bull or three.

Depending on whether I can get my hands on the appropriate rooms at times when I'm not busy with my band, my studies etc. If that's the case, I'll just do it with my own private equipment. Not as cutting edge for the most part but high quality anyway. So either way this'll get done very soon. I'm excited to get on with this!

SilverLeaf167
2013-05-08, 05:38 AM
The idea is awesome, but unfortunately I run my games in Finnish which I guess would be rather impractical for you. :smalltongue:

Dread Angel
2013-05-08, 08:45 AM
As it happens, one of our players is Finnish. I could get him to do it, though I'd never be able to judge how well he did it. Could be funny though!

SilverLeaf167
2013-05-08, 09:35 AM
What a convenient twist!
Now I just need to find some place to stuff a monologue... :smallwink: I've never been a huge fan of them, simply because I suck at making them myself in front of the players, but I'll definitely contact you if such an opportunity/need ever pops up. :smallbiggrin:

Threadnaught
2013-05-08, 10:26 AM
Sent you my next planned monologue by the main villain in a PM, hope you enjoy it.
In the mean time I'll think about some bs the Kraken can come out with. God of Destruction, unkillable, most powerful being in the ocean, yadda yadda.

Dread Angel
2013-05-08, 11:02 AM
Threadnaught, I'll check it out momentarily. I looked at my schedule and the booking availability of the studio and have come to the conclusion that I'll do them at home first and if the quality is good enough I'll use those.

Silverleaf, my Finnish buddy just said he's willing to have a go at it. It doesn't need to be a monologue, necessarily, so much as important things you'd like to be memorable. Because what player is gonna forget it when you describe the villain, and click your mouse and suddenly a Legion voice booms out "And now YOU DIE!"

GreenSerpent
2013-05-08, 11:05 AM
"AHAR! You foolish heroes, prepare to witness my ultimate triumph! And worst of all, you can't stop me! You can't even kill me because I'm wearing magic aaaaargh."