PDA

View Full Version : Feats to disguise a drow

Crake
2013-05-07, 11:22 AM
I swear I remember reading somewhere a feat that let a drow appear as a surface elf to blend in with the surface races? Is that a thing? If not, whats a non-illusion way I could go about disguising myself without losing out on too many of my drow abilities? I was thinking maybe an item of permanent alter-self?

I know of the surface elf disguise spell, but it's an illusion, so it doesn't help me at all.

Edit: to clarify my reasons for not wanting any illusions, there's a church inquisitor that can see through illusions just by looking. Sure he gets a save, but a level 1 spell, it's unlikely to stop him.

Deepbluediver
2013-05-07, 11:25 AM
Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm) is a Transmutation spell instead of Illusion. You could also just use the Disguise skill; that's what it's there for.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-07, 02:18 PM
I swear I remember reading somewhere a feat that let a drow appear as a surface elf to blend in with the surface races? Is that a thing? If not, whats a non-illusion way I could go about disguising myself without losing out on too many of my drow abilities? I was thinking maybe an item of permanent alter-self?

I know of the surface elf disguise spell, but it's an illusion, so it doesn't help me at all.

Edit: to clarify my reasons for not wanting any illusions, there's a church inquisitor that can see through illusions just by looking. Sure he gets a save, but a level 1 spell, it's unlikely to stop him.

I believe you are thinking of a kind of racial variant, the szarkai (spelling might not be quite right). It's an albino-ish drow, different from birth. They are usually selected from the populace for special indoctrination and spy training, since they look almost identical to surface elves. It's, as far as I know, a natural, non-magical, permanent effect. The only downside is that drow not aware of the szarkai's identity might treat him/her as a surface elf.

Your best bet for background on this type of drow is Drow of the Underdark. I can't quite recall if they are meaningfully different from normal drow.

Ace Nex
2013-05-08, 07:00 PM
As said, the albino drow. They are treated with much more respect than normal drow and much less likely to be killed while growing up. This prepares them for the surface life among elves so that they may spread the Drows influence.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-08, 07:15 PM
You can always put max ranks into Disguise and use a Masterwork Disguise Kit. Pretty sure there's a Beguiler spell (crown of something-or-other) that can be discharged to give +8 to a Disguise check and isn't an illusion. Guidance of the Avatar (Clr 2) and Wieldskill (Clr/Bard 1) works too, if cheesily.