PDA

View Full Version : What does fatique with a PC with 1 str

Sceluvia
2013-05-07, 12:44 PM
Scenario:
PC 1 has a total of 1 str and 1 dex
(The character had a 7 and a -6 penalty due to vulnerable age)

Now this character didn't sleep the night and became fatiqued.
Obviously the other effects do work like normal.

What happens to the ability score?
Does it drops to "0" and making him immobile?
Gains it the "-" status?
Ability's remain 1?

Thanks in advance for the explanation.
I'm sorry if there is already a post explaining this.

ericgrau
2013-05-07, 12:48 PM
Fatigue doesn't have any restrictions on the decrease so it defaults to the standard minimum of 0. At a strength of 0 he falls to the ground and is helpless because he cannot exert any force on the world. At a 0 dexterity he is paralyzed. So he falls to the ground and cannot move or talk, but he could see.

It's not a rule but I would suggest making him fall asleep at this point.

Daftendirekt
2013-05-07, 12:51 PM
A character with 1 strength could not be an adventurer. Assuming medium size, you're encumbered even with just 3 lbs, and maxed out at 10lbs. A person who's already quite physically weak becoming extremely old (which is what 7 str -6 for age signifies) would be bedridden and too weak to move around.

However, RAW dictates that fatigued gives you a -2 Str and Dex, so, yeah, it would drop both to 0 for this character and they really would be unable to move. Having "--" for an ability score only comes from your type (i.e., having no Con score if undead or having no Int score for many oozes and constructs.)

Sceluvia
2013-05-07, 12:58 PM
A character with 1 strength could not be an adventurer. Assuming medium size, you're encumbered even with just 3 lbs, and maxed out at 10lbs. A person who's already quite physically weak becoming extremely old (which is what 7 str -6 for age signifies) would be bedridden and too weak to move around.

Well he is playing a Psion and is nearly Dying, so he created a contest to meet a character who is physically super strong and Young of age. The DM gave him a scroll of True Mind Switch which if he can activate it: Takes over it's body and live longer. Killing his old body in the panic of that NPC and asking a cleric to remove the negative levels.

Daftendirekt
2013-05-07, 01:07 PM
That is both brilliant and super evil.

Renen
2013-05-07, 01:40 PM
So he effectively gets a +3 for all mental stats for free? What a nice DM.

Sceluvia
2013-05-07, 01:53 PM

Knowing my DM, this will somehow at some point backfire.. like a Godly drain of mental powers, or giving him a cursed item so he must make high checks to even cast any spell...

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-07, 01:58 PM
...and asking a cleric to remove the negative levels.

This part can't happen. You don't gain a negative level when your last body dies. You just lose a level. It's not at all the same thing.

It's also not level drain, so Greater Restoration won't help either.

Greater restoration does not restore levels or Constitution points lost due to death. The lost level you are talking about is due to death.

Eldonauran
2013-05-07, 02:25 PM

Eh, I'd allow it. That kind of bonus comes with drawbacks. My imagination simply oozes with possible plot hooks and consequences for such an evil action.

But yes, -2 to strength and dexterity from fatigue would result in a helpless, paralyzed character until the fatigue is gone. Str and Dex = 0.

Renen
2013-05-07, 02:57 PM
I wonder how many ppl here get the Naruto reference >_<

Daftendirekt
2013-05-07, 02:59 PM
It does rather sound Orochimaru-ish now you mention it.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-07, 03:00 PM
So... if he walks for more than 8 hours in a day and fails the Con check, he falls over comatose until the Str penalty recovers. And his max load is 10lb. Sounds like he isn't fit for an adventuring life.

EDIT: Your DM is a pushover. Tell him to get a freakin' spine.

ngilop
2013-05-07, 08:31 PM
is it just me, or am I the only one who is sad that the first named reference to this whole concept is naruto?

Zero grim
2013-05-07, 08:37 PM
I wonder how many ppl here get the Naruto reference >_<

I think your might mean naguto, he cant move at all on his own but is strong beyond most ninjas understanding of power.

ericgrau
2013-05-07, 08:42 PM
As a psion he can still use powers even though he can't move.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-07, 09:08 PM
As a psion he can still use powers even though he can't move.

He's still considered helpless at Str 0 though, so you'd probably want to strap him to somebody's back like Master Blaster from Mad Max so he doesn't get coup-de-grace'd by every mook and his grandma the moment he starts sweating.

Pally din
2013-05-08, 12:53 AM
Piggy back question: If a person is already fatigued, what actions can push them to exhausted? Thanks.

ericgrau
2013-05-08, 12:55 AM
If something fatigues him again he becomes exhausted instead.

Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted

Pally din
2013-05-08, 01:01 AM
Yeah, that does not help me. I've been over the SRD, and I seemd to be missing the begining part. I see spells that can change the status, but I did not even clearly see a sentance that said tring to run would do it. Or whatever the list of fatiguing actions is.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-08, 01:18 AM
Yeah, that does not help me. I've been over the SRD, and I seemd to be missing the begining part. I see spells that can change the status, but I did not even clearly see a sentance that said tring to run would do it. Or whatever the list of fatiguing actions is.

Forced March (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#forcedMarch), "Hustling" (double-moving) for an hour or more, exiting a Rage, being the target against some spells and special abilities.

Maginomicon
2013-05-08, 01:29 AM
Although not explicitly stated anywhere except in spells that give penalties, those spells all without exception state that penalties to ability scores (not damage or drain, but penalties) can only drop an ability score to 1.

It's thus a reasonable house rule that that applies to all effects that cause short-term ability penalties (including fatigue).

If he was dropped to 1 DEX by a DEX penalty (old age isn't a short-term penalty) and then took 1 DEX damage afterwards, that would drop him to 0 DEX, but otherwise, no. If he was at 1 DEX as a result of DEX damage, DEX drain, old age, or any other long-term effect and then took a DEX penalty, then the lowest DEX he could have is 1.

ericgrau
2013-05-08, 08:21 AM
Or whatever the list of fatiguing actions is.
You want a coherent list of all the rules that apply to a given situation in one place? Foolish mortal, the wizards at the coast declare you must page flip through several rules every time something happens in your game sessions. This is the way of the gamer.

But seriously all you can do is search the SRD for the word "fatigue". There are all kinds of effects that cause it and they are scattered all over the place: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=015155386140379294602%3Ak9hv7ukafn4&cof=FORID%3A1&q=fatigue&sa=GO&siteurl=www.d20srd.org%2Fsrd%2FmagicItems%2FmagicI temBasics.htm%23magicItemsOnTheBody&ref=www.d20srd.org%2Findexes%2FmagicItems.htm&ss=1000j279952j7#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=fatigue&gsc.page=1 . The mundane ones, without using spells, are sleeplessness of course, hustling for more than an hour, forced march, long distance swimming, rage and hypothermia. Other than missing sleep it's not that common.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-08, 09:14 AM
Foolish mortal, the wizards at the coast declare you must page flip through several rules every time something happens in your game sessions. This is the way of the gamer.

Weep, for such is the cost of realism.