PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Wizard - Collegiate Arcanist Build

Korahir
2013-05-07, 02:18 PM
Dear Playgrounder,

I am currently toying around with ideas for a wizard in a kingmaker campaign (never played it before, so no spoilers please). The DM is a first time DM but the group just finished Red Hand of Doom together and we are now switching DM and setting. So we know each other pretty well and i think i know that optimization shouldn't be my main concern.

So far my mates decided to go for a human paladin, a dwarfen ranger (falconeer) and a bard (race unknown).

I pretty much decided to go Treantmonk (summoning/battlefield control) but instead of the typical teleportation subschool, i want to go with the earth school just to ad a little flavor. I stumbled across the collegiate Arcanist and i am really tempted. Having played a druid in rhod, i am familiar with their spell list. Moreover the concept really fits my background (boy out of a hardworking family, generally good spirited, pathologically shy, following Erastil).
Now here is my main concern: how strong do you think collegiate arcanist is? Will i be all over the place with my spells, being able to do everything, which would be annoying for my mates?

stack
2013-05-07, 02:46 PM
Well, you get to cherry-pick the best druid spells, plus get some other bonuses. Entry isn't bad, though scholar is weak. Adventure paths tend not to run into high levels, so you likely won't finish the class unless your game runs behind the path. Overall, worthwhile goodies and some mileage out of spell mastery. It basically costs you one lousy feat plus the school powers you aren't advancing.

Bhaakon
2013-05-07, 03:06 PM
You're a wizard, you can already do everything.

Collegiate Arcanist gives the wizard a few more options and shiny abilities to play with, but it doesn't really do much that a wizard with ranks in UMD or access to mid-high level summon monster spells couldn't already accomplish. A base wizard is already in a position to step on everyone's toes if it isn't played with some restraint, the Collegiate Arcanist is the same way.

Korahir
2013-05-08, 09:25 AM
Thanks a lot for your thoughts.