PDA

View Full Version : What spell looks like a shotgun?

Qc Storm
2013-05-07, 08:55 PM
This might seem weird, and maybe slightly unrelated, but I'm giving my soldier a D&D treatment.

http://screenshoot.me/cmWzng

As you can see, he is a wizard. One that most definitely dumped Int. However I do not know of any spell or D&D wizardy thing I could use to name my Shotgun.

Help.

Urpriest
2013-05-07, 08:59 PM
Meteor Swarm? Fireball? Hail of Stones?

chainer1216
2013-05-07, 09:02 PM
magic missile? cone of cold(video games often depict shotgun blasts as cones)? telekinesis: violent thrust?

gooddragon1
2013-05-07, 09:05 PM
Not a spell but:

Swarm of Crystals (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/swarmofCrystals.htm)

Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No

Could be a wilder and then just focus charisma.
Swarm of crystals as your shotgun, energy ball as your rocket launcher, something or other as your shovel.

Kornaki
2013-05-07, 09:07 PM
Scatterspray

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-07, 09:13 PM
Blast of Flame.

Qc Storm
2013-05-07, 09:17 PM
magic missile? cone of cold(video games often depict shotgun blasts as cones)? telekinesis: violent thrust?

Maybe Cone of Cold with Energy Substitution (Lead).

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-07, 10:15 PM
Wait wait, better: Blast of Sand (http://dndtools.eu/spells/sandstorm--85/blast-of-sand--3130/). 4th level Conjuration from Sandstorm, it does untyped damage in a cone "stripping flesh from bone." Can you say buckshot?

Fyermind
2013-05-07, 10:15 PM
You are basically looking for cone shaped bursts or line effects. Preferably ones that don't deal weird energy types like sonic or acid but rather deal fire, bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, or force.

Scan SpC.

In the mean time, Blast of Sand from Sandstorm is a 30' cone that deals 1d6 per caster level untyped damage deals full damage to objects, is a fourth level wizard/sorcerer, druid, or Sand domain spell, and caps at 10d6. Looks like a pretty decent sawed off shotgun. It is reflex half and SR NO, which makes it not too terrible.

Sylthia
2013-05-07, 10:35 PM
Burning hands or any cone spell would work. Melf's Minute Meteors would also fit.

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-07, 10:48 PM
If you want a real world shotgun effect and not a BS-Hollywood shotgun effect, then you will want a ray or a line.

At 15 feet, the spread on a load of buckshot is no more than about 6 inches. Even by 45 feet, the spread doesn't exceed a foot and a half at best (and often only a foot.)

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/20447/buckshot-basics/

A D&D cone does not represent what a shotgun does.

However, if you just want Hollywood BS, then by all means, look at cones.

Urpriest
2013-05-07, 11:28 PM
If you want a real world shotgun effect and not a BS-Hollywood shotgun effect, then you will want a ray or a line.

At 15 feet, the spread on a load of buckshot is no more than about 6 inches. Even by 45 feet, the spread doesn't exceed a foot and a half at best (and often only a foot.)

It looks to be for a videogame character, so presumably it's a videogame style shotgun.

Qc Storm
2013-05-08, 01:11 AM

I'm no gun owner, but I know the basics. Though I'll probably give that link a read anyway. The shotgun is from TF2, and yes, the spread is awful.

So far, Blast of Sand sounds alright.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-08, 01:36 AM
Burning Hands? It certainly replicates the extreme spread often typical of video game shotguns.

Maginomicon
2013-05-08, 01:41 AM
There's this...

Vulcanian Thunder Club: This long wooden club is set with sharp, iron spikes. In addition to being used as a greatclub, the vulcanian thunder club has another use. The club's upper end is set with a hollow metal chamber. Before battle, this chamber is stuffed with an ammunition packet — a mixture of alchemist's fire, other alchemical items, and iron pellets — and covered with a wax-sealed wooden plate. A short string runs down the club from this plate to the weapon's handle. In combat, the wielder may use a standard action to pull the string, breaking the seal and removing the wooden plate. With the contents of the metal chamber exposed to air, the alchemist's fire within detonates in a small explosion that sends the pellets bursting forth in a 20-foot cone that deals 2d4 points of damage. A successful DC 15 Reflex save halves this damage.
After using the club in this manner, a character can reload the club with an ammunition packet. Instead of purchasing the ammunition packets, a character with the Alchemy skill can create them with a successful Craft (alchemy) check.
Author: Mike Mearls. Source: #304.
It doesn't list the ammunition details in Dragon Compendium oddly, but looking into the original article and the Dragon Compendium errata reveals the following:

Thunder Club Ammunition
Cost: 105 gp
Damage: 2d4
Weight: 7 lbs.
Type: Piercing
The DC to Craft [Thunder Club Ammunition] with the Craft (alchemy) skill is 25.

A variation of this could probably be made to create a shotgun. There's also gunpowder and pistols in the Faerun setting (not sure what book) as well as in the DMG.

Shotgun: A shotgun is most effective at close range; on any successful attack, a –1 penalty is applied to the damage roll for each range increment of the attack. It can fire six times before it needs reloading (which requires a full-round action). The weapon uses shotgun shells, cylindrical cartridges that have a built-in firing cap at their base. They are packed with a mixture of gunpowder and small lead pellets
Stupidly, the DMG doesn't actually give any stats for shotgun shells beyond that.

Phippster
2013-05-11, 05:59 PM
I like the idea of Magic Missile for the Shotgun, personally. I have a friend who uses a Beggar's Bazooka, especially on MvM, and loads the maximum number of rockets in it consistently. He named it Meteor Swarm.

nyjastul69
2013-05-11, 06:35 PM
...There's also gunpowder and pistols in the Faerun setting (not sure what book)...

To my knowledge neither gun powder or black powder work in Faerun. There is smoke powder which is a magical variant. IIRC I think its extremely rare and expensive though. Gond's clerics probably keep a close watch on it's use. I'm not positive about the last 2 parts. I haven't used FR as a setting in over a decade.

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-11, 06:44 PM
Burning Hands. That's the most well known one...

Talionis
2013-05-12, 09:38 AM

I would agree with this. In most video games, shotguns shoot narrow cones. Narrow cones function much more like lines than cones in DnD. But since its magical, your shot gun should do what YOU want it to.