PDA

View Full Version : Ray Harryhausen Dies Aged 92

Brother Oni
2013-05-08, 02:42 AM
Ray Harryhausen, visual effects master, has died aged 92 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22441567).

And another childhood icon passes away. :smallfrown:

Having watched Clash of the Titans recently with my children and seeing them entranced by the Medusa scene, his work still has the ability to mesmerise even in the age of CGI.

I think I'll watch it again tonight.

BWR
2013-05-08, 03:29 AM
RIP

I really need to get his work for my collection.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-05-08, 05:55 AM
I think I’m gonna have to put in 20 Million Miles to Earth this weekend.

Killer Angel
2013-05-08, 05:59 AM
:smallfrown:

Having watched Clash of the Titans recently with my children and seeing them entranced by the Medusa scene, his work still has the ability to mesmerise even in the age of CGI.

I saw it in theatres... I was twelve, and my mind was blown away.

I really need to get his work for my collection.
+1

Castaras
2013-05-08, 06:14 AM
RIP. A great animator and sculptor. Wishing his family well.

This is a great loss for all who loved the era of films he worked on.

factotum
2013-05-08, 06:32 AM
Sad news indeed--there was something uniquely imaginative about a Harryhausen special effects scene that has never been replicated however many computers they throw at it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-05-08, 06:58 AM

As implied by my earlier comment, I think the Ymir is is a masterpiece creation right up there with Medusa.

And the skeletons. Can’t forget the skeletons. :smallbiggrin:

Brother Oni
2013-05-08, 06:58 AM
Sad news indeed--there was something uniquely imaginative about a Harryhausen special effects scene that has never been replicated however many computers they throw at it.

I know what you mean - the skeleton fight at the end of Jason and the Argonauts was so effective because of the slightly jerky results of stop motion giving them a characteristic movement.

These days their movements would be far too smooth, making them blend into the background, for example Brendan Frasier's fight with Imoteph's mummy minions in the The Mummy Returns.

Asta Kask
2013-05-08, 07:03 AM

Good models beat good CGI every day of the week. CGI has its places, but it can't replace the realness of models.

Bhu
2013-05-08, 03:40 PM
:smallfrown:

Janus
2013-05-08, 03:46 PM
Don't care how cheesy a movie Clash of the Titans is, that Medusa fight still reigns as one of the coolest scenes ever.

RIP, Mr. Harryhausen. Thanks for all your hard work.

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-05-09, 05:38 PM
So I’m managing to throw together a Harryhausen movie night. Looks like Twenty Million Miles to Earth and Clash of the Titans. Might substitute Jason and the Argonauts for Clash in the end, though

TaiLiu
2013-05-09, 06:30 PM
Unfortunate and sad, yet impressive.

Bhu
2013-05-10, 01:39 AM
http://www.goominet.com/unspeakable-vault/

Goomi did a tribute

messy1349
2013-05-11, 03:43 PM
:smallfrown::smallfrown::smallfrown: