PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing the Savage Beast

Ace Nex
2013-05-08, 02:53 AM
This one is pretty standard. We're forming a new D&D group (and it's a big one) and here's what we got. We're starting at 6th level and plan on going to either just before or to epic.

This is 3.5

Myself (Archivist 5/Malconvoker 1) and my cohort (Wiz 3/Warblade 1)
Truenamer 6 (DM changed rules so truenaming checks are pretty much half of what they were)
Binder 6 or Rogue/Swordsage/Assassin (Total level of 6)
Paladin 5/Dragonrider 1
Psion 5/Swordsage 1
Sorcerer 6
Unknown

Then lastly we have my friend. She has been offered by the Dm to be allowed to play a were-wolf. Now before you all jump up and say "The LA isn't worth it!" She wants to play one, the DM is ignoring the racial HD so she'd start at 4th or 3rd (afflicted or Natural), with the extra perk of only being able to die if destroyed down the particle or impaled with silver along with regeration/silver equal to the DR. (If the silver is removed from the body, she regenerates as normal when struck by the light of the next full moon... and in this setting there are 3 moons). This is a MASSIVE boost, so considering that if she goes Natural Were-wolf she'll have 5 HD, which isn't far behind the party.

As for her class, she is unsure of what to play and is looking for advice, so I come to ask your help fellow playgrounders, on how to optimize a were-wolf.
NOTE: All 3.5 books are available. Be creative :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2013-05-08, 04:05 AM
Orc werewolf whirling frenzy barbarian.

Use the the Wolf Totem variant, Lion Spirit ACF instead of Fast Movement, Streetfighter instead of DR 1/-, and Whirling Frenzy instead of standard Rage. Feats should be Power Attack (1), Improved Trip (B), Knock-Down (3), Track (B), Headlong rush (6), and Frightful Presence (9), plus the Quick trait.

You could then add on things like leap attack, etc.

Yogibear41
2013-05-08, 09:02 AM
Warshaper and or fist of the Forest make good prestige classes. I'd also recommend any base class that gives an armor bonus when unarmored like the monks, because I think its just silly to see a wolf running around in full armor.

Also I wish I could play my werewolf like that in the game I play in:smallfrown: big jealousy :smallfrown: