PDA

View Full Version : Could Varsuvius use Limited Wish to Raise Belkar?

Tohron
2013-05-08, 10:41 AM
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but there does seem to be some alternatives for the Order after losing their cleric. Admittedly, they'd still need the diamonds to cast the spell, but it seems like the option is still there, unless I'm missing something

Byzantine2
2013-05-08, 10:47 AM
The fact he isn't really dead currently, and that when he dies he's staying dead.

Ewig Custos
2013-05-08, 10:47 AM
Why does he/she need to resurrect Belkar if he isn't dead yet?

Kish
2013-05-08, 10:52 AM
No one proposed raising Belkar. Roy wants him dead, remember? The whole "pleased that he will soon be the Grim Reaper's problem" thing?

Roy said resurrecting Durkon was a problem due to not having Durkon.

Xenrei
2013-05-08, 10:53 AM
Although Belkar is not dead at the moment, that is an interesting theory. If V can cast Limited Wish, the Order might be able to get their Dwarven friend back. :smallsmile:

theduck
2013-05-08, 10:53 AM
Straight rules wise, I don't think so, regardless of prophecy - limited wish can only replicate cleric spells up to 4th level, if they come from a prohibited school, and V has prohibited conjuration.

Steward
2013-05-08, 10:55 AM
Even if Belkar did die, why would you blow a spell like that on him?

Studoku
2013-05-08, 10:58 AM
We can be pretty sure this won't happen, since the prophecy is pretty clear that Belkar won't be resurrected.

Also, even if V knew Limited Wish, he can't emulate Raise Dead. From the wording of Limited Wish:

For example, a limited wish can do any of the following things.
Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 5th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
Duplicate any other spell of 4th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
Raise Dead is a 5th level Conjuration (Which is prohibited to V) Cleric spell.

That's not to say V couldn't try to bring Belkar back from the dead by wishing for it, but that's drifting into the realms of sadistic DMs and literal intent.

Reddish Mage
2013-05-08, 11:00 AM
Assuming the (s)he could somehow, why would V want to?

Bulldog Psion
2013-05-08, 11:32 AM
It's heavily implied that they're going to leave Belkar dead when he dies. So although V could, it's highly unlikely that he would.

Stormlock
2013-05-08, 11:49 AM
I dunno. V is a lot more pragmatic than Roy. I could see him raising Belkar if he thought it'd be useful.

What would be really amusing is if Belkar didn't WANT to be raised, thus fulfilling the oracle's prophecy about him despite an offer of resurrection.

Though I think a better use of limited wish would be teleportation, and I dunno if the Giant wants any sort of Wish spells mucking up his plot anyways.

Jay R
2013-05-08, 11:51 AM
Assuming the (s)he could somehow, why would V want to?

Merely for his or her personal amusement. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0335.html)

Belkar<3
2013-05-08, 12:01 PM
Definitely not, for several reasons.

1. Vaarsuvius would never want to rez Belkar.
2. Belkar isn't dead. YAY!
3. Vaarsuvius cannot cast limited wish (Conjuration, along with Necromancy, are her barred schools, and limited wish is a conjuration spell. This has been mentioned before as a big limit made by Rich so V could not teleport.)
4. Limited wish could not replicate Resurrection, because it only emulates up to 4th level spells, and Resurrection, I think, is 7th or 8th level?

So. No.

Stormlock
2013-05-08, 12:15 PM
Wish and limited wish are universal spells.

Ooooh. Also:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm

Finwe
2013-05-08, 12:16 PM
Definitely not, for several reasons.

1. Vaarsuvius would never want to rez Belkar.
2. Belkar isn't dead. YAY!
3. Vaarsuvius cannot cast limited wish (Conjuration, along with Necromancy, are her barred schools, and limited wish is a conjuration spell. This has been mentioned before as a big limit made by Rich so V could not teleport.)
4. Limited wish could not replicate Resurrection, because it only emulates up to 4th level spells, and Resurrection, I think, is 7th or 8th level?

So. No.

Limited Wish is Universal according to the d20 SRD: V could cast it unless Giant house-ruled it to be Conjuration. So theoretically V could cast Teleport, but it would cost him 300XP, and they'd have to deal with possible inaccuracies. However, he would need a full-blown Wish in order to cast Raise Dead.

FlawedParadigm
2013-05-08, 01:07 PM
Although this does bring to mind that Limited Wish should able to Reincarnate Durkon, if need be. Drastic, but very probably a kinder fate than his current one.

Kish
2013-05-08, 01:15 PM
Although this does bring to mind that Limited Wish should able to Reincarnate Durkon, if need be.
No; check the sixth paragraph at Stormlock's link.

FlawedParadigm
2013-05-08, 01:38 PM
No; check the sixth paragraph at Stormlock's link.

I'd consider it if I could see the post. If you're referring to the "no undead" limitation on Reincarnate, that ought to be removed if Durkon is changed back from "undead" to "dead", no? Although I suppose asking you is pointless since it would be Rich's interpretation that matters. Heh.

Kish
2013-05-08, 01:59 PM
I'd consider it if I could see the post. If you're referring to the "no undead" limitation on Reincarnate, that ought to be removed if Durkon is changed back from "undead" to "dead", no? Although I suppose asking you is pointless since it would be Rich's interpretation that matters. Heh.
A creature that has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can’t be returned to life by this spell. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm)
It's as limited in that way as Raise Dead, and while Rich might simply house-rule that either Reincarnation or Raise Dead can restore Durkon to life, I think it's more likely that he'll bend a shorter distance to give the Order access to Resurrection. (It is, after all, not even like the nameless cleric of Loki they found didn't have a Resurrection scroll.)

Ghosty
2013-05-08, 02:16 PM
...Ooooh. Also:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm

Double Ooooh. Reincarnate requires a body that died "no more than one week before the casting of the spell." How many of those are in the pyramid? The Draketooth clan doesn't count.

But Yukyuk does... Wouldn't that be hilarious?

Edit: How would Belkar reincarnated as Yukyuk jive with the Oracle's official prophecies? Would it be him drawing breath? Or Yukyuk's body?

Stormlock
2013-05-08, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that part of the restriction implies that Belkar would need to have been dead for less than a week. There's a percentile table for what he comes back ass (with a 00 result of 'Other', so he could be brought back as something that doesn't breathe, theoretically.)

Ghosty
2013-05-08, 02:25 PM
My bad, I misread the spell description. I thought it meant that the deceased would come back into another corpse and revitalize it. Not that a new body (determined from the d100 chart) springs forth from thin air and the deceased inhabits that.

The idea of Belkar coming back as a Kobold was so funny, it led me to misread the description.

Nymrod
2013-05-08, 02:48 PM
If he got reincarnated coming back as a kobold would be possible. Though if he got really lucky he'd be a bugbear:)

Stormlock
2013-05-08, 02:52 PM
If he got REALLY lucky he'd be a dragon or something.

TRH
2013-05-08, 02:54 PM
That'd be even scarier than Vampire!Belkar.

gooddragon1
2013-05-08, 03:01 PM
Not that it applies directly since belkar is not an outsider but:

Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.

It's perhaps not out of the question.

Reathin
2013-05-08, 08:50 PM
If he got reincarnated coming back as a kobold would be possible.

While I don't think Belkar is likely to be resurrected by the Order, nor is he likely to ever draw breath again due to the Oracle's prophecy, the irony here would make me smile.

Poppy Appletree
2013-05-10, 02:11 AM
Even if Belkar did die, why would you blow a spell like that on him?

Best answer to this thread.

OracleofWuffing
2013-05-10, 02:24 AM
Edit: How would Belkar reincarnated as Yukyuk jive with the Oracle's official prophecies? Would it be him drawing breath? Or Yukyuk's body?
Well, it doesn't answer the question at all, but if you run with that question a bit further, Warforgeds don't need to breathe at all. Of course, that's not open material so it's a very slim chance that a long-term character would be turned in to one, but hypothetically when Belkar dies and if someone with a means of reincarnation gets really drunk...