PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Planar Binding's Charisma Check

Amiria
2013-05-08, 02:32 PM
Ok, in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135096) I read about how to improve your chances on the opposed charisma check to force a called creature into service.

The problem is that my Summoner is a Diviner/Incantatrix (yeah, big problem right there :smallwink:) who has Enchantment and Necromancy as prohibited schools. So she can't use Bestow Curse and Enervation to lower the called creature's charisma modifier.

However, Enervation's negative level effect she can emulate with a (persistent) Fell Drain Cloud of Knives (as long as the creature's damage reduction isn't too high).

What can I do too further improve the Summoner's charisma check and worsen the called creature's charisma check ?

I guess I'm looking mainly for spells that give me an edge. But items are not out (she might borrow a "Circlet of Persuasion and Charisma +2" from a party member ... although that means that she can't wear her "Headband of Intellect +4" at the same time ... but switching them shouldn't take longer than a move action if the creature manages to break free).

Shaken (and more severe fear effects) and Sicken are conditions that are good to lower the called creature's check, but those are mainly achieved by Necromancy spells, no ?

Aracor
2013-05-08, 02:37 PM
Assuming you're high enough level, Moment of Prescience (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/momentOfPrescience.htm) is all you need.

Amiria
2013-05-08, 02:53 PM
Thanks, but not high enough level ... currently Level 10 and skipping Lesser Planar Binding (5th level spell) entirely in favor of Planar Binding at 11th+ level (6th level spell)

Kelb_Panthera
2013-05-08, 03:23 PM
You could use moment of prescience if you can acquire a scroll for it. The CL check to activate a scroll for a spell that's a level or two higher than you can cast is pretty easy.

Amiria
2013-05-09, 04:55 AM
Yeah, the DC isn't too high. But burning 3.000 gp on a scroll for every Planar Binding until she can cast 8th-level spells herself is a bit too expensive.

Here is what I have so far:

Caster's positive modifiers

- +3 Charisma 16
- +4 "Circlet of Persuasion and Charisma +2"
- +1 Eagle's Splendor

- More stuff ?

Called Creature's negative modifiers

- -5 to -11 negative levels1 (Fell Drain Cloud of Knives2)

- More stuff ? Like getting Shacken or Sicken with spells that are not Enchantment or Necromancy. Other spells that reduce ability checks ? Poisons that reduce Charisma ?

1 = Called Creature's HD = level (assuming 6-12) brought down to 1

2 = only works on called creatures with damage reduction if it is 5/magic or silver (unless it is a critical hit). At 15th caster level it can pierce damage reduction 10/magic or silver on a normal hit.

Aracor
2013-05-09, 10:24 AM
A Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion) is different than a Circlet (cloak) of charisma, and should stack assuming it's both things added together. Otherwise, circlet of persuasion is another +3.

Amiria
2013-05-10, 04:42 AM
Huh, I already calculated with a "Circlet of Persuasion". It is a combined item so its bonuses stack.

- +4 "Circlet of Persuasion and Charisma +2"
- +1 Eagle's Splendor

+3 competence bonus to all charisma checks and a +2 enhancement bonus to charisma (= +1 to charisma checks).

An Eagle's Splendor spell improves the enhancement bonus to charisma to +4 (= +2 to charisma checks).

For a total of +5 to all charisma checks.