PDA

View Full Version : Best PF domains for a LG cleric?

Spuddles
2013-05-08, 02:43 PM
Pathfinder went ahead and changed all the domains to continue to feature mostly useless stuff, but in a more annoying way. Any particular gems out there?

Frosty
2013-05-08, 02:59 PM
The Redemption (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/good-domain/redemption-subdomain) subdomain kind of rocks. Blasphemy is no longer a threat.

grarrrg
2013-05-08, 07:53 PM
Pathfinder went ahead and changed all the domains to continue to feature mostly useless stuff, but in a more annoying way. Any particular gems out there?

Handy Linky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13224299)
(disclaimer: "Handy Linky" may-or-may-not be handy)

Before we begin, don't forget about Inquisitions (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/inquisitions), they are basically 'spell-less' domains, so their abilities are slightly better. As they are 'spell-less' you'd definitely want to pair it up with a Domain that has decent spells, as your Domain Slot selections will be limited to that one list.

Aside from that...I really don't play Clerics much, so you're probably better off finding a Handbook or something.

Spuddles
2013-05-08, 10:11 PM
Thanks. Inquisitions look interesting.

Currently, the most prolific guides available for PF are either bad blog spam that recommend things like magic missile, or Treatmonk's guides which are basically copypasta from 3.5 and aren't nearly as relevant (conjuration took major hits). Which means I don't trust most of the guides out there unless I know they're from Psyren or someone in the Playground. BG seems to have a pretty asinine hate over PF, so I don't even bother with them.

Sylthia
2013-05-08, 10:41 PM
The Spanish Inquisition is the best. No one expects it, so you get a surprise round in every encounter.

avr
2013-05-08, 11:01 PM
The animal domain gets you an animal companion (use the boon companion feat to base it off your full level) and the feather subdomain of animal gets you a handy initiative bonus. The domain spells are a bit hit and miss, you probably don't ever want calm animals but fly, antilife shell and shapechange are worth getting.

navar100
2013-05-08, 11:21 PM
Protection

Free resistance bonus to saving throws that scales with level. No need for a cloak of resistance. Get some other magic item you want.

Luck

Force bad guy to reroll. Give yourself a reroll. Quite valuable used at the right time.

Have a barbarian in the party? Go with Community. Remove fatigue. Help barbarian be strategic with his rage.

If you're not thrilled with Domains, another option is to play an Oracle. Mysteries tend to offer more interesting abilities with their revelations. Pick one you like depending on what you want to do. Personal bias, I'm playing one now, Life Mystery, and having a blast. I feel like I'm playing a cleric the way I always wanted to but never really could. The selling point for me is being able to spam buff spells. As a cleric, you'd tend to only prepare Bull's Strength and Shield of Faith once, then you're done. With Oracle, I can cast Bull's Strength and Shield of Faith on the whole party if need be in preparation for a big battle. For a more warrior aspect, at higher levels I could cast Righteous Might every combat for the stereotype of 4 combats a game day. Choose spells you know you will want to cast a lot anyway and go to town. Doesn't hurt to pick up a few utility and just in case spells when you can afford to, especially as a human and the alternate favored class bonus of more spells known.

Keneth
2013-05-09, 01:56 AM
I would just like to point out that Champions of Purity had just been released a week or two ago, and it features new domains as well as a great deal of new options for the faithful of good-aligned deities. Not sure if any of it is good, I've only skimmed it so far since I rarely play good-aligned characters, much less faithful ones, but I did notice some cool stuff here and there, so it's probably worth a look.

Corlindale
2013-05-09, 03:14 AM
The Heroism (Glory) subdomain is not bad. Touch of Glory has a ton of interesting uses, especially in the realm of Diplomacy and UMD. But the real gem is the swift-action activated Heroism aura - one of the most generally useful buffs in the game. Of course, if your party already has an arcane caster that tends to keep heroism up on everyone anyway, its usefulness drops dramatically. The buff to Channel Energy is just gravy, but still nice.

Archon domain also gets a pretty nice aura (without the usual limitations of an actual archon's aura of menace), and as a domain it's as Lawful Good as they come.

Tactics (War) is also very useful, especially for a melee cleric. The power to buff initiative remains useful at all levels, and the floating bonus feat opens up a ton of creative possibilities.

Luck, Liberation and Travel are generally great, but are usually more oriented towards Chaotic deities.

Spuddles
2013-05-09, 03:15 AM
I would just like to point out that Champions of Purity had just been released a week or two ago, and it features new domains as well as a great deal of new options for the faithful of good-aligned deities. Not sure if any of it is good, I've only skimmed it so far since I rarely play good-aligned characters, much less faithful ones, but I did notice some cool stuff here and there, so it's probably worth a look.

Is that on pfsrd yet? Cause that's all I got access to.

Keneth
2013-05-09, 03:37 AM
Is that on pfsrd yet? Cause that's all I got access to.

At least some of it is, yes, but I can't tell how much.

grarrrg
2013-05-09, 07:32 AM
May as well just repost this, for those who didn't use the Handy Linky:
[copy/edit out all "non-LG-able" deities]
{table=head]Deity|Align|D1|D2|D3|D4|D5|Fav. Weap.
Apsu|LG|Artifice|Good|Earth|Law|Travel|Quarterstaf f
Erastil|LG|Animal|Community|Good|Law|Plant|Longbow
Iomedae|LG|Glory|Good|Law|Sun|War|Longsword
Torag|LG|Artifice|Earth|Good|Law|Protection|Warham mer
||||||
Kurgess|NG|Community|Good|Luck|Strength|Travel|Jav elin
Sarenrae|NG|Fire|Glory|Good|Healing|Sun|Scimitar
Shelyn|NG|Air|Charm|Good|Luck|Protection|Glaive
||||||
Abadar|LN|Earth|Law|Nobility|Protection|Travel|Lig ht Crossbow
Irori|LN|Healing|Knowledge|Law|Rune|Strength|Unarm ed
[/table]

mregecko
2013-05-09, 11:43 AM
The Redemption (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/good-domain/redemption-subdomain) subdomain kind of rocks. Blasphemy is no longer a threat.

That... is amazing.

A Pit Fiend would just blast itself.

I want this to happen so badly.

Chained Birds
2013-05-09, 12:08 PM
May as well just repost this, for those who didn't use the Handy Linky:
[copy/edit out all "non-LG-able" deities]
{table=head]Deity|Align|D1|D2|D3|D4|D5|Fav. Weap.
Irori|LN|Healing|Knowledge|Law|Rune|Strength|Unarm ed
[/table]

Cleric of Irori, casting Spiritual Weapon... Hmm?

navar100
2013-05-09, 12:54 PM

A hand appears that punches/slaps your opponent. Gives new meaning to b**** slapped. :smallsmile:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-09, 01:15 PM
Glory, Healing, Luck, Protection, Strength, Sun, Travel, and War are all solid.

Certified
2013-05-09, 02:20 PM
A hand appears that punches/slaps your opponent. Gives new meaning to b**** slapped. :smallsmile:

Funny, I was thinking a giant foot dropping from the sky to squish the blighters.

Chained Birds
2013-05-09, 02:33 PM
Funny, I was thinking a giant foot dropping from the sky to squish the blighters.

If it is like a monk's unarmed strike, then I envision a holy bellyflop of doom.

I'm now curious if a Monk X/Cleric X will summon an unarmed strike (from spiritual weapon) that is equal to his current unarmed strike or a base 1d3 unarmed strike?

Slipperychicken
2013-05-09, 02:42 PM

It summons the spirit of a martial artist, who proceeds to attack with a randomly-selected body part each round.