PDA

View Full Version : using multiple charge based rings?

flamewolf393
2013-05-08, 03:45 PM
I know the normal rule is you can wear as many rings as you like, but only the first two actually work. Is this just for continuous effects?

If all my rings were X uses per day, or ones that are on/off at will, could I wear/use as many as I want as long as only two effects are active at any time?

malonkey1
2013-05-08, 03:52 PM
It's veeeeeeeeeeeeery veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery shaky, but I...think so? It is barely RAW as far as I can tell, but I don't think it's RAI.

jindra34
2013-05-08, 03:53 PM
I believe somewhere in the rules it mentions its only the first two rings you put on, which would require at least some effort to change which ones are on. But I may be remembering wrong.

Renen
2013-05-08, 03:59 PM
You can always just switch the rings in a round or so...

Seiko
2013-05-08, 04:05 PM
only the first two rings will function. the rest are just there.
Mind you, some rings require 24 hours being worn to work.

so, by wearing 4 rings with said requirement, the second two rings remain in-active.

Now, if your dm will rule the 24 hours counts regardless of how many rings is questionable.

on an off note, with two feats you can wear 4 rings.
Craft ring
and wear extra rings.(requires craft ring)

and a certain kobold cheese nets you epic feats, one of them is extra item slots.
Wear all of the rings.

nyjastul69
2013-05-08, 04:24 PM
A hand of glory (SRD) allows for the use of a third ring. It occupies the neck slot however.

Seiko
2013-05-08, 04:51 PM
I think there's a rule somewhere about combining magical items.
Like half the cost of the greater, or lesser. I forget.

letting you build an items that's a combination of all your x/day use gear.

boots of jumping of striding of sidestepping of swimming of goblin punting of water walking of speed....

I don't remember off hand if it's an actual rule or just something our dm allowed.

TuggyNE
2013-05-08, 05:02 PM
I don't remember off hand if it's an actual rule or just something our dm allowed.

It's an actual rule in the DMG; 75% of the next-most-expensive part, then 50% of all others (assuming they're similar functions); otherwise, either 100% or 150%, depending on how dissimilar they are.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-05-08, 05:15 PM
It's an actual rule in the DMG; 75% of the next-most-expensive part, then 50% of all others (assuming they're similar functions); otherwise, either 100% or 150%, depending on how dissimilar they are.

You mean Magic Item Compendium (MIC). It's in the back, just before the tables of items by slot type. The DMG says nothing about combining magical effects of already statted items, but does say stuff about creating new magic items with multiple abilities.

According to the MIC, Unique abilities cost 150% of the lower of the specific combined items. (example; if your Boots of Elvenkind cost 2500 gp, and your boots of Striding and Springing cost 5500, you add 150% to the 2500 gp price before combining the two costs to get a single pair of Boots of Striding/Springing/Elvenkind for 5500+2500(1.5)= 9250 gp. It is more expensive than simply switching boots in a few rounds.

TuggyNE
2013-05-08, 10:36 PM
You mean Magic Item Compendium (MIC). It's in the back, just before the tables of items by slot type. The DMG says nothing about combining magical effects of already statted items, but does say stuff about creating new magic items with multiple abilities.

Those were the rules I was referring to; there's not a whole lot of difference between "here's a custom magic item I made based on a collection of custom effects modeled off existing effects" (the DMG method*) and "here's a custom magic item I made based on a collection of existing effects". Y'know?

The specific example given suggests that Boots of Elvenkind are dissimilar to Boots of Striding and Springing, and uses the formula for that just as described in the DMG.

*When making custom magic items, the first and most important guideline in the DMG for pricing is to look at similar existing items.