PDA

View Full Version : Building Fizban from the Dragonlance Chronicles

koboldish
2013-05-08, 05:25 PM
Well, I just read the series again, and Fizban is by far my favorite character. I understand the basic concepts, and would start out as a wizard (duh.) in the venerable age category. What would people suggest for feats? This is meant for a very low-op campaign, probably around level 3 or 4. Thanks! Tell me if you need any more information.

Edit (really sorry I forgot to put this in):
In the series, Fizban is a ridiculously powerful wizard, although he is indredibly absent minded (probably wisdom of around 8 or so). He is generally slow to act, and sometimes casts spells almost a minute after fights have ended. He appears to cast random spells spontaneously, although he uses a spellbook in multiple places.

Waker
2013-05-08, 05:36 PM
Well, seeing as how I haven't read anything from Dragonlance is about +15 years and Google isn't providing me much information, what can you tell me about Fizban? Specifically what powers and traits do you want the character to have?

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-05-08, 05:58 PM
Wasn't he like the avatar of a deity or something?

Waker
2013-05-08, 06:00 PM
Wasn't he like the avatar of a deity or something?

Aside from that fact, (Paladine being the deity) I can't seem to find much on him.

Pally din
2013-05-08, 06:03 PM
Paladine, a platinum dragon god. So, I'm thinking stating that up is beyond scope. But if you just wanted to do the human wizard part, then I'm not sure that he is too powerful. Maybe Sorcerer with fireball as one of his spells.

Edit: It was also both an inside joke and copyright dodge that Fitzban appeared in other books by the same authors in different worlds with names that just rearanged the letters. So, he needs to be able to do planar travel, and then probably have some mutable appearing abilities. That might make something like artificer more appropriate, but I can't remember what Fitz was in those other books.

koboldish
2013-05-08, 06:54 PM
Well, yes. He was fairly godly. That isn't revealed towards the beginning of the Chronicles series, which I think would be the part that would be the most fun to roleplay. Let's leave that part out for now :smallbiggrin:. Anyways, I feel like Wild Mage would be great, but unfortunately it doesn't work with non-spontaneous casters. Signature Spell or something like that lets you cast a certain spell of your choice spontaneously, right?

Alleran
2013-05-08, 06:56 PM
Fizban is just Paladine trolling the main characters and not using his full power.

So all you'd need to do is look at the statblock for Bahamut (is there one?) to get an idea of what he can do.

koboldish
2013-05-08, 06:59 PM
Well.... Yes.... But you can't do that at level 3. Let's assume we are creating something that does the same thing, just without the divine rank and stuff.

Waker
2013-05-08, 07:02 PM
Well, yes. He was fairly godly. That isn't revealed towards the beginning of the Chronicles series, which I think would be the part that would be the most fun to roleplay. Let's leave that part out for now :smallbiggrin:. Anyways, I feel like Wild Mage would be great, but unfortunately it doesn't work with non-spontaneous casters. Signature Spell or something like that lets you cast a certain spell of your choice spontaneously, right?

I don't see any mention of spontaneous casting in the description of the Wild Mage. That being said you can use Spell Mastery/Uncanny Forethought or Alacritous Cogitation to cast spells spontaneously. For the being slow/inattentive you could the flaws Inattentive and Unreactive.

koboldish
2013-05-08, 07:05 PM
Hmmm..... I'm going to go find the Complete Mage now.

Edit: Ah, you were right! Great!

Waker
2013-05-08, 07:07 PM
Hmmm..... I'm going to go find the Complete Mage now.

If you are looking up Cogitation, I can save you a quick read. It's not really great, you can spontaneously cast 1 spell from an open spell slot. Uncanny Forethought is much better. You could also use Mage of the Arcane Order to grab random spells to use, refluffing it as drawing spells from Paladine.

ddude987
2013-05-08, 07:08 PM
Also remember Fizban had a gold dragon in his pocket

koboldish
2013-05-08, 07:10 PM
I'm still working on that part.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-05-08, 07:12 PM
Also remember Fizban had a gold dragon in his pocket

And, baby, it was ready to roar. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6IZecaMttM)

Waker
2013-05-08, 07:14 PM
Improved Familiar to grab a Pseudo Dragon? Dragon Familiar feat from Draconomicon expands on that a bit.

koboldish
2013-05-08, 07:21 PM
I'll try and put that in as well. Keep the great ideas coming, and thanks for your help!

Waker
2013-05-08, 07:40 PM
So are there any other aspects you want to cover for the character?
A Wizard with Inattentive and Unreactive, taking Improved/Dragon Familiar and Alacritous Cogitation or Uncanny Forethought, taking levels in Wild Mage or Mage of the Arcane Order have been my suggestions.
Also if you want to play up his being an avatar to a deity, you might consider Domain Wizard or Arcane Disciple. Or play an Archivist in place of Wizard.

koboldish
2013-05-08, 08:23 PM
That sounds pretty good. With strength as a dump stat and with -3 for age, what you suggest as a minimum score?

ddude987
2013-05-08, 08:33 PM
That sounds pretty good. With strength as a dump stat and with -3 for age, what you suggest as a minimum score?

-6 for age so probably at least 9

Asrrin
2013-05-09, 07:10 AM
I would say Fireball was by and far his favorite spell, so maybe grab Arcane Thesis, and a few metamagics for it. I've just got done rereading the first book in the series, and off the top of my head he knows how to cast featherfall, fireball, web, and something to summon a small semi-intelligent creature that gives off light (a tiny fire elemental or lantern archon or something?) as Paladine's avatar he knew alot and was able to teleport around and disguise himself, so the polymorph line, teleport line, and divinations seem to fit as well.