PDA

View Full Version : Longsword as Holy Symbol?

Ralasha
2013-05-08, 06:43 PM
I remember there being either a special modification or a feat that allowed a character to use a longsword as a holy symbol.

Could someone please point me at the book? I cannot seem to find it.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-08, 06:47 PM
Sanctified weapon. Book is Dungeonscape. Costs about 50 gold, makes the weapon modified (it can be any weapon, not just a Longsword) function as a holy symbol.

soveliss24
2013-05-08, 06:50 PM
Note: not to be confused with the Sanctified weapons in BoED.

Ralasha
2013-05-08, 06:51 PM
Sanctified weapon. Book is Dungeonscape. Costs about 50 gold, makes the weapon modified (it can be any weapon, not just a Longsword) function as a holy symbol.
Note: not to be confused with the Sanctified weapons in BoED.I thank you.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-08, 07:09 PM
I thank you.

You're quite welcome. Feel free to come back if you have any more questions or concerns.

It always feels nice, using these boards to help people instead of needlessly arguing about alignment and playstyle. Reminds me of why I'm here.

Amnestic
2013-05-08, 08:13 PM

Got a page number on that? I'm looking at Sanctified (pg. 34) and it only applies to armour and shields - not weapons.

Expanding it to weapons obviously not even remotely a big deal for most DMs, just curious if it is specified elsewhere - Dungeonscape does have some layout problems :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2013-05-08, 08:23 PM
Page 30, it says "weapon and armor modifications", and Sanctified is the only one which isn't applicable to weapons. I thought it worked on weapons this whole time. I guess they meant for it to be like the huge crosses emblazoned on people's shields and armor in the medieval era.

userpay
2013-05-08, 08:37 PM
Page 30, it says "weapon and armor modifications", and Sanctified is the only one which isn't applicable to weapons. I thought it worked on weapons this whole time. I guess they meant for it to be like the huge crosses emblazoned on people's shields and armor in the medieval era.

Basically. More or less what it does (from memory) is the holy symbol is painted, engraved, ect onto the armor/shield with special materials that make it holy/unholy. I assume the reason it normally isn't applied to weapons is because its harder to make most weapons visually similar to most holy symbols in a manner that makes sense. That said I do recall a weapon and several pieces of armor that when worn has the deities symbol appear on the equipment, Complete Divine or Complete Champion I think. Don't recall if it made them count as holy symbols. In the case of the weapon I think it was a sword with the image appearing in a pommel stone which I would imagine would be difficult to see if you were for example to try and turn undead.

Mando Knight
2013-05-08, 08:46 PM
Personally, I'd allow it for a weapon, provided it was of the deity's favored weapon... (i.e. longsword for Corellon, Red Knight and Tyr, as some Faerūn examples... though since Tyr's holy symbol depicts a warhammer, I'd let it slide for that, too...)

Asahel24601
2013-05-08, 08:48 PM
I could see it, maybe, in some cases, if the holy symbol is a cross, as the longsword was considered the knight's personal crucifix. However, as I don't think that the cross is a holy symbol in DnD, that may not work as well.

rexreg
2013-05-08, 10:06 PM
in the past, i've allowed as a DM & played as a player Priests of Thor that used their hammer as a holy symbol...

Keld Denar
2013-05-08, 10:49 PM
Heironeous is big on longswords (well, the new aspect...grognards still remember the battle axe). If you paid an extra 50g on top of the normal cost of your longsword, I'd let you put some gold filagree on there that counts as a holy symbol. He was always more of a "lead with the sword, smite first ask questions later" kinda god.

Ralasha
2013-05-08, 10:56 PM
Yeah... I'm an elf warlock/cleric healer... so I kinda need to know so I don't need a separate holy symbol, those diamonds are expensive.

At least I heal people for 10d6 three times a round. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=243869)