PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Master Summoner (PF)

Trekkin
2013-05-08, 08:25 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to do with one (that is, a Halfling master summoner) for a sixth-level one shot dungeon crawl with a 32 point buy. The rest of the party is a Gunslinger and a (Life) Oracle, so they badly need meat shielding, and I quite like the idea of being able to summon them ad nauseam.

What I can't figure out is what to do with my actions once I've got them out; this is also my first stab at Pathfinder for a while so I may be going very far from optimal here unknowingly. My working stat array is:
STR: 5 DEX: 16 CON: 14 INT: 16 WIS: 13 CHA: 20 (19, with the +1 ability score increase from 4th level)

And then taking social skills on top of the few the Summoner really needs, like UMD and Spellcraft and possibly Ride for this.

I had thought of using the eidolon as a mount, but I can't think of what to do when I'm on top of it aside from staying out of trouble and ordering my summons around; crossbows and firearms seem a bit feat-heavy and anything else would suffer from my abysmal Strength. I could also get off of it in combat and use it as a flanker, I suppose.

Any advice? It feels like I'm going in some totally bizarre direction here...

Amnestic
2013-05-08, 09:02 PM
You have spells and you have UMD (with a cha-focused class to boot). Worst case scenario is plinking away with a crossbow, but between summoning monsters, buffing monsters and UMDing a wand of something useful (Entangle, Grease, etc.) your actions should be spoken for. If it's a one-shot then you don't really need to worry about conserving wand charges either. Bonus! :smalltongue:

Trekkin
2013-05-08, 09:16 PM
Good point. What do I do for feats, then? Augment Summoning is taken care of...

Amnestic
2013-05-08, 09:25 PM
Good point. What do I do for feats, then? Augment Summoning is taken care of...

A few ideas:
Improved Initiative: More initiative is generally a good thing - lets you get your summons out faster, lets you not be flat-footed faster.
Extra Summons: Gives you an additional use of your Summon Monster ability. Arguably not worth the feat slot, but a) You won't have all that many feats you need and b) If it's a one-shot, you can't be sure of how much downtime there is. You're looking at 10 (5+ChaMod) summons per day - that'll probably be enough, but one more can't hurt.
Expanded Arcana: Gives you 1 or more extra spells known. Increases your versatility, and the Summoner spell list is pretty good!
Leadership: Duh. Probably not allowed though :smalltongue:

Check out the Summoner's Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592) if you haven't already - lots of good advice there.

Chained Birds
2013-05-08, 09:44 PM
Extend Spell is good considering all the buff spells at a Summoner's disposal.

Superior Summoning nets you an extra monster making those 1d3 summoned monsters into 1d3+1.

Toughness is another option. It will equal out to +6 HP in this One Shot, so practically another Hit Die worth of HP.

Edit: Also some Traits to consider:

Diabolical Dabbler: +1 HP per HD on Fiendish Summoned Creatures.

Natural-Born Leader: +1 on Will Saves for your Summoned VS Mind-Effecting effects... Not much, but it is something.

Trekkin
2013-05-08, 10:27 PM
I'm afraid traits and leadership are both disallowed. I think I'll go with Improved Init, Superior Summoning, and Extra Summoning. With a +2 Charisma item that's...a lot of beasties.