PDA

View Full Version : I got my first rejection letter!

Haruki-kun
2013-05-08, 09:34 PM
I got the first letter of rejection from an internship I applied to, telling me that they decided to pick people with different skill sets than me. I'm sure it's some sort of rite of passage. I think I'll print it out and put it on the fridge.

Blueiji
2013-05-08, 10:30 PM
I got the first letter of rejection from an internship I applied to, telling me that they decided to pick people with different skill sets than me. I'm sure it's some sort of rite of passage. I think I'll print it out and put it on the fridge.

Congratulations! This truly is a big day. :smallbiggrin:

Absol197
2013-05-08, 11:16 PM
Congrats :smallbiggrin: !

However, a word of caution: as much fun as the first one is, I suspect they may grow tiring after a while. I was looking for a job for a year and a half at one point, and by that point I was not happy to see those any longer...

~Phoenix~

Blue Ghost
2013-05-08, 11:34 PM
Congratulations! :smalltongue:

I'm looking forward to my first rejection letter pretty soon. Probably more than one. Hope I can get one acceptance among the rejections though.

Haruki-kun
2013-05-09, 12:14 AM
An acceptance would be good, yes. But I expect a few more rejection letters. Maybe I'll print them ALL out and put them on the fridge. I just hope I get ONE acceptance before I have to buy an extra fridge.

Barsoom
2013-05-09, 01:49 AM
Tell them that due to the large volume of rejections you've been receiving, you aren't able to accept each and every rejection, and will be therefore starting work for them on Monday.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-09, 02:23 AM
Tell them that due to the large volume of rejections you've been receiving, you aren't able to accept each and every rejection, and will be therefore starting work for them on Monday.
I would like to shake your hand, good sir, madam, or planet.
You have truly made me lol.:smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2013-05-09, 10:41 AM

Read this out loud to my peers. They all found it hilarious. Thank you, sir.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2013-05-12, 08:19 AM
Congrats, Haruki! May your first also be your last.

Aedilred
2013-05-13, 08:24 PM
When you're used not to getting a response at all to applications, getting a rejection letter feels like a triumph. At least someone read your application and thought it was worth taking thirty seconds out of their day to reply.

Still, not something you want to amass in too great a collection. I hope it's shortly joined by an acceptance (or rather, offer) letter.

Recaiden
2013-05-13, 09:16 PM

Excellent! You're a real part of the work-force now. :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations! :smalltongue:

I'm looking forward to my first rejection letter pretty soon. Probably more than one. Hope I can get one acceptance among the rejections though.

Hope you can. Good luck!

Blue Ghost
2013-05-14, 03:11 PM
I got my first rejection by email yesterday. The body was only one line long. Kinda disappointing. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2013-05-15, 10:28 AM
I got my first rejection by email yesterday. The body was only one line long. Kinda disappointing. :smalltongue:

Mine was better. Two lines long.

Ursus the Grim
2013-05-15, 10:31 AM
I collect them in my inbox. After a year post-graduation, its almost reassuring to look at them all lined up and go 'well, I've been trying.'

MonkeyBusiness
2013-05-15, 02:04 PM
Well done, Haruki! Certainly it is a rite of passage! And as Ursus said, as they accumulate, at least you have proof you are trying. And one day you will get an acceptance. I hope you'll share that news, too!

Meanwhile, you can collect your rejection slips for arts and crafts projects. I find they are wonderful for practicing origami. Although a wren in my desk drawer crapped all over my most recent batch of rejections, so I will have to wait on origami until I am rejected again.
Something to look forward to, I suppose.

TheCountAlucard
2013-05-15, 02:28 PM
Annoyingly, I've never RECEIVED anything informing me I've been rejected for such-and-such; instead they simply never call or mail me, and I suddenly realize it's been a month since I applied, and call to find that the job is no longer available. :smallannoyed:

Haruki-kun
2013-05-16, 07:46 AM
Annoyingly, I've never RECEIVED anything informing me I've been rejected for such-and-such; instead they simply never call or mail me, and I suddenly realize it's been a month since I applied, and call to find that the job is no longer available. :smallannoyed:

All the other applications I sent ended up like that. :smallsigh:

MonkeyBusiness
2013-05-16, 07:56 AM
No wonder you were happy to get an actual rejection letter, Haruki! Sheesh! Not responding is rude and unprofessional ... and, sadly, quickly becoming quite common.