PDA

View Full Version : Shape and Fabricate

Ruethgar
2013-05-08, 11:04 PM
Is is possible to fabricate or stone/wood/ice/snow shape a masterwork weapon? And in the case of ice and snow, how would one determine the price for the purposes of fulfilling Fabricate's material component? Could one fabricate a magical item on the spot? And if so, is there a way to void the xp cost or turn it into something more workable like a higher gold price?

TuggyNE
2013-05-09, 02:51 AM
Ice and snow can't be fabricated into a usable weapon, because the "material" doesn't change in the process. (You'd still have an ice or snow weapon, which would melt, shatter, or just fall apart.) Making a masterwork weapon out of something else would probably require two Craft checks during the casting of fabricate, as normal: one for the weapon, one for the masterwork component. (And you'd need raw materials accordingly, I guess?) Fabricate specifically disallows making magic items.

Stone shape, obviously, only works on stone; since it forbids fine detail, and has a flat 30% chance of failing if moving parts are included, most weapons are unlikely to function at a masterwork level, and may not work at all. Since it doesn't have the ability to do more than a rough shape, magic item creation is not possible. Wood shape is similar, but on wood; I assume the others are more of the same, but I don't know for sure.

Ruethgar
2013-05-09, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the response, read right past that bit in fabricate in my drowsy state last night.

Snow shape specifically states that it can create a bladed weapon, I see no reason why fabricate, a 5th level spell vs. 1st/2nd, wouldn't be able to do the same.

Would expert crafted still apply to a stone shaped creation since it is an automatic application as opposed to superior and masterwork which require components?

Callin
2013-05-09, 10:24 AM
I see no reason why for ice it cant create a 1 or 2 hit blunt melee weapon. Heck it would create a sword and a very pretty one at that out of ice or tightly packed snow but wouldnt be able to hurt a fly.

Stone... sure. Blunt for most stones and if you had Obsidian you could created a slashing weapon. Almost any for a piercing as well since thats just stabby stabby. Weight would be an issue though.

TuggyNE
2013-05-09, 08:38 PM
Snow shape specifically states that it can create a bladed weapon, I see no reason why fabricate, a 5th level spell vs. 1st/2nd, wouldn't be able to do the same.

You can try, sure, but I don't know how long it would last. Probably not very long at all. One hit, maybe?

Would expert crafted still apply to a stone shaped creation since it is an automatic application as opposed to superior and masterwork which require components?

Um, what? Not sure what you mean by "expert crafted" or "superior".

Ruethgar
2013-05-10, 06:36 PM
Snow Shape version lasts 24hr but otherwise does not have a limit to the number of attacks it can make.

I can't for the life of me find where expert crafted was in my books now >.< but it is a feat that essentially gives masterwork bonuses to your creations that stack with masterwork(but not magical) bonuses for something as trivial as a DC increase. Superior from Quintessential Aristocrat is an improved form of masterwork that requires 10 ranks in the relevant craft skill and three times the masterwork component cost.

Matticussama
2013-05-10, 06:52 PM
Quintessential Aristocrat is 3rd party, so whatever book expert crafted is from is probably 3rd party as well. You should probably mention when you're drawing from 3rd party sources, since that will change the sort of results you get.

Gildedragon
2013-05-10, 08:05 PM
Actually seeing how blue ice is the product of mundane 'natural' processes, fabricate should make it... albeit it ought to need a lot of snow or ice.