PDA

View Full Version : Power Rangers

t209
2013-05-08, 11:50 PM
So what do you guys think about Power Rangers? To tell the truth, I wasn't crazy (probably hated it due to cheesiness) about Power Rangers when I was teenagers. However, my friends were huge fans of it, even in Burma. I kinda watched RPM when I came to US in 2009 during ABC kids' final days, kinda cheesy but darker than what I usually know. I don't watch Power Rangers but I kinda enjoy Skull and Bulk (or Skull's kid) in Power Rangers Samurai. So anybody liked or still like Power Rangers?

Zaydos
2013-05-09, 12:17 AM
I was watching the original with my nephew this afternoon. I was the right age group when it first aired so watched the original, but not much after it. That said it still holds a soft-spot in my heart, and my girlfriend likes tokusatsu so we watched some of one of the more recent sentai shows together.

Kitten Champion
2013-05-09, 12:39 AM
I think I saw Power Rangers: Turbo in theatres when I was like, 6. I've been told that happened. I guess I missed the time when they were kind of a big deal around here.

Based on what I've seen of recent iterations, it looks entertaining. I'm not big on the cheesy dialogue and stories per say, but I love choreographed fight scenes and the over-the-top creativity that goes into it.

Jayngfet
2013-05-09, 12:48 AM
I really feel it's going down hill, at least as far as the behind the scenes stuff is concerned.

Apparently, and I'm parsing this together from various twitter posts, forum posts by actors, and copied automated emails, but to hear everyone tell it Saban has been screwing up royally. First they try to bring back past actors. Because hey, they're adapting Gokaiger soon and that's Gokaiger's thing.

Only they decided to blatantly play favorites and only invite back the Saban actors. Nobody from the Disney era was even considered, which I think makes most of the actors at this point. Next they tried forcing an incredibly low offer on them. As in, so low once you account for them having to pay for things like the flight to New Zealand and all the stuff like food and supplies, they'd actually be LOSING money coming back. Not to mention that Saban seems to love hilariously oppressive contracts that'd limit these peoples's freedom even after their job is done. One actors said even his regular everyday job pays significantly more than being a Power Ranger would.

Only look at the acting done in the new Saban era shows. Nobody wants to act like that, nobody talks like that unless forced. The scripts look culled from bad fansubs and the directors are awful if this is the best they could do. So these people would be coming back to lose money, take crap direction, and would have lots of stuff in the contract that'd stop them even after their jobs were done.

Of course, all that is a moot point. Because, and this is the hilarious part, Saban, one of the richest men on the planet, in managing his multi-million dollar franchise, couldn't even afford what it'd cost to bring back all these actors and cancelled most of the appearances before the people involved could even make a decision.

Let me put this into perspective. A man who's just under the 100 richest people on earth, a multi-billionaire, running a company made almost specifically for this show, a show that compresses roughly fifty episodes into twenty and uses predone footage for all the action and villain scenes and dubs over them with non-guild cards, can't afford to pay a few dozen people minimum wage to show up for one episode each or give them a good enough deal that they'd be willing to settle. I mean, Power Rangers is still profitable but it looks like almost none of that translates back into the shows production budget.

At best, Jason David Frank is going to just show up again for a few episodes and that'll be the end of it.

Lets contrast this by how Toei does things to see exactly how wrong this is.

Ok. Lets contrast this to what Toei is doing with IT'S team of actors for Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, just to make this even more apparent. Because they didn't relocate their set thousands of miles away to save a few dollars, it's easy for willing actors to just show up for a cameo here or there. These willing actors apparently love their roles. We have photos of like a dozen of them straight up crying on camera after Toei hands them a farewell bouquet. Toei is doing anniversary stuff annually even not counting stuff like Gokaiger and Akibaranger, and there's always a bunch of actors more than willing to reprise their old roles. I mean Renn Kiriyama spent YEARS as Hidari Shotaro, not just in the actual series and obligatory movie, but in direct to DVD sequels, big crossovers, and small Net Movies. The shows whole cast was willing to just show up over and over again, because the contracts were so Lax they could even do it on the side of their normal day to day acting jobs.

The only actors that notably aren't returning are Takeru Satoh(because he became so massivly popular after starring in the biggest rider series ever Toei can't actually afford him anymore, and he's too busy with major movies), and Joe Odagiri(who notably doesn't like his fame from Kuuga anyway).

Even the non-acting staff was willing to show up for stuff like Akibarangers to do cameos, and a suit actor actually got a whole episode of that show devoted to him and how he does things. The really good actors from Toei are starting to go into Toei Hero Next once their show finishes, because Toei thinks they have talent or good chemistry they can use for other projects that are different enough they show off that persons range. Toei may not be perfect, but on some level respects it's actors as people. Saban kind of just uses it's actors once, throws them away, and unless they're from the 90's or are willing to take an awful contract never thinks twice about them.

I'm sorry, I like a bunch of power rangers series but this is something to recent and incredibly galling in terms of how bad Saban can be I can't NOT think about it. This is like, the embodiment of skeevy media practices and it's killing how great the series could be. It's causing the show to fail both as it's own thing and as an adaptation of Sentai.

Tengu_temp
2013-05-09, 02:12 AM
I only saw a bit of the original MMPR when it was new, and while I've never been a huge fan, it was okay. Didn't watch any further shows, though I'm watching Linkara's History of Power Rangers and enjoying it. You know, when he actually makes a new episode.

I really feel it's going down hill, at least as far as the behind the scenes stuff is concerned.

You think that's bad? David Yost, the actor who played Billy, left the show because he was bullied for being gay. Power Rangers often looked pretty bad behind the scenes from the get-go.

Jayngfet
2013-05-09, 02:15 AM
You think that's bad? David Yost, the actor who played Billy, left the show because he was bullied for being gay. Power Rangers often looked pretty bad behind the scenes from the get-go.

That was one guy, done largely by individual crew members, and even then he apparently wasn't taking it so hard to quit considering he did what, five or six seasons then did monster voices after that for a while?

This is something that hurts every single person working on the show to the point of damaging them more than it's worth.

One guy taking some abuse isn't anywhere near the same as every single person getting screwed over so totally for years, even after they leave.

Kato
2013-05-09, 04:30 AM
I remember watching quite a lot of it when I was a kid. I guess going back now it's nothing special but back then it was pretty entertaining. Actually, a few years ago I watched... what was airing at the time... Dino Thunder? Ninja Storm? Kind of half of both of them, I think. It was... mostly just as badly written but stuff looked better.

A few weeks ago I found Linkara's History of the Power Rangers and watched it to see how things had developed. I guess I didn't miss the best show on the planet but it was still kind of entertaining space/soap opera with more or less hood action scenes.

Hopeless
2013-05-09, 06:45 AM
Just caught a youtube video which seemed to have a clip used at the start of the latest power rangers offering concerning the power rangers war.

After reading this thread and then going back to look at that video which practically introduced the Pirate Power Rangers it just highlights just how different the original series is from the Westernised version!

I watched the start of that video god knows how many times before I could get far enough to watch past the introduction of their latest power rangers series (the Pirate one I mean), it was just that gobsmackingly good!

I even went as far as trying to identify which team of power rangers were fighting and this highlights that I only know the version shown over here in the UK!:smalleek:

Didn't much care for the original mmpr until they introduced the green ranger and power rangers in space opening is my next favourite series although I liked Power Rangers rpm I do wish I could have liked the mystic power rangers better though.

Anyone know who the two Power Rangers who showed up to help the then present power rangers the one with the Kamen Rider helmet and the multi-coloured with white helmet Power Ranger?

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-09, 08:28 AM
This was a great show back in the 90s. The Green Ranger? Dragon Zord? Awesome stuff!

I guess there is probably some version of it still running, but I outgrew it years ago. There was one series a few years back about Power Rangers space police or somesuch which was pretty decent. That was the last I saw of the series.

Hopeless
2013-05-09, 10:07 AM
This was a great show back in the 90s. The Green Ranger? Dragon Zord? Awesome stuff!

I guess there is probably some version of it still running, but I outgrew it years ago. There was one series a few years back about Power Rangers space police or somesuch which was pretty decent. That was the last I saw of the series.

Power Rangers SPD.

I think I saw Dogstar fighting before the overwhlemingly huge team up and I think Cat as well but didn't see enough of that series to be sure!:smallredface:

You know the one odd thing that caught my attention when the pirate power rangers were introduced was the fact they could have spent several seasons with them chasing down those power ranger keys...:smallbiggrin:

Traab
2013-05-09, 11:52 AM
I was a fan of it back in the day, with rita and zed. Then it started to get old boring and tired. And maybe it was just me getting older but I found it a bit strange that apparently zordon kept holding back on the rangers. "Ok guys, sorry about the curb stomping the new guy gave you. here, I put a batch of even better zords and abilities over here. Go get them." Then a year later. "Oh totally my bad guys, I guess this even more threatening threat is too strong for these old and busted zords. Thank god I stashed away a set of ultra deluxe mega zords!"

Also, was I the only one who found it absolutely HILARIOUS that those zed boosted putties had a giant self destruct button included on their torsos?

KnightDisciple
2013-05-09, 01:03 PM
I've caught chunks of the seasons past about SPDish (which I caught most of, and watched the HOPR of).

The era up through Space was at least decent, and had a lot of nostalgia. Space was great. Lost Galaxy was pretty good. Time Force and SPD were pretty good.
Most of those other seasons are "meh".

RPM was excellent. I think it's one of the most hardcore seasons of Power Rangers ever. It's essentially the aftermath of Skynet winning the war. I mean, the show starts with "and all humans except this one protected city are dead". And then goes from there.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-09, 06:09 PM
I was a fan of it back in the day, with rita and zed. Then it started to get old boring and tired. And maybe it was just me getting older but I found it a bit strange that apparently zordon kept holding back on the rangers. "Ok guys, sorry about the curb stomping the new guy gave you. here, I put a batch of even better zords and abilities over here. Go get them." Then a year later. "Oh totally my bad guys, I guess this even more threatening threat is too strong for these old and busted zords. Thank god I stashed away a set of ultra deluxe mega zords!"

LOL yeah, pretty much!

I remember when the first zords got destroyed. It was so sad. But then the new "thunder" zords came out and it was an epic victory! After the first time, though, it kinda loses its impact.

DrBurr
2013-05-09, 06:31 PM
My brother and I watch it, keep in mind were both in our 20s, the current season is decent though we frequently mock the characters for bad development but that's what happens when you only get 20 or so episodes spaced out over the course of months and you have over 50 episodes to cover.

I'm not really surprised hearing that getting guest stars for the next season is difficult due to money issues Power Rangers is pretty much made on the cheapest budget possible that's why they film in New Zealand to dodge the Screen Actors Guild.

Nekura
2013-05-10, 03:21 PM

Also, was I the only one who found it absolutely HILARIOUS that those zed boosted putties had a giant self destruct button included on their torsos?

This. I grew up liking the show and even went to see movie with the ninja zords. But it was shortly after that that I lost interest in it. Putties having a large death button was cheesy but it was a good kind of cheesy. After awhile it lost that balancing act and just seemed kind of lame. That and the individual robots never fought anymore they just immediately formed into the megazord.

Years latter I happened to notice a power ranger tv show where they where in space and was genuinely surprised that is was never canceled and they were still making more seasons of it all this time. I still had fond memories of watching the first one but not enough to sit through the new ones to see if it got good again.

Traab
2013-05-10, 03:25 PM
LOL yeah, pretty much!

I remember when the first zords got destroyed. It was so sad. But then the new "thunder" zords came out and it was an epic victory! After the first time, though, it kinda loses its impact.

Yeah that was a pretty interesting death scene. The zords were crying out in their mechanical voices as it looked they they were sinking into firey pits or something. As for new zords, I am sure I was exaggerating a bit, as after all, it doesnt count when its new rangers in a new series. I remember there was one set where the blue ranger was some little kid that would magically grow large enough to be yet another easily replaced generic ranger in a blue suit. Too bad, I think it would have been amusing if there was a really short ranger in the mix. :p

Wolf_Haley
2013-05-10, 06:02 PM
That was TUrbo witht he child Ranger, everyone pretty much hated it though the Red Ranger was pretty cool and he was pretty awesome as the Blue Ranger in In Space. I've been going back and watching PR series, Time Force and Lightspeed Rescue hold up extrmely well. Carter is dat dude and one of my favorite Red Rangers. Time Force also had one of the best side Rangers in the Quantam Ranger and his Q Rex Zord, also helps the same guy who was the Quantam Ranger did all his own stunts and would go on to do all the mocap and voice work for Vergil in DMC3.

Jayngfet
2013-05-11, 01:47 AM

Double-reposting.

Apparently now they want him to come back for the Gokaiger adaptation.

The nerve of some people...

Mauve Shirt
2013-05-11, 03:31 PM
Mighty Morphing was my favorite show for like a year when I was 5. :smallbiggrin:

oblivion6
2013-05-12, 03:47 AM
I used to watch the originals back in the 90's, as well as Mighty Morphing(I believe a PS1 game was actually made for the original. Good game too). But, after that, I lost all interest. These days I can't even stand the show, with the exception of the originals.

darkblade
2013-05-13, 01:28 PM
I am forever grateful that Saban put the entire franchise on Netflix. It was the perfect "be quiet and watch something because it is snowing/raining too hard outside to go play" show when I was babysitting five to eight year old boys (although they also liked the 60s dub of the original Ultraman).

Beyond that though the series has been pretty bad since Wild Force. Disney was too afraid of the violence to let Power Ranger's best quality, the martial arts in the Sentai fights be fully utilized. Saban has gone really cheap with Megaforce and Samurai hiring some really bad actors and forcing them to act even worse for the sake of kids.

With Samurai they also made the mistake of directly copying the plot of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, its Sentai parent. Treating the Japanese language as "Samurai Symbols of Power", casting a pair of blonde haired, blue eyed white kids to be the heirs of a Samurai clan, the team's token Asian being Korean among other things left it feeling a bit accidentally racist. There are plenty of ways they could have worked around the Japanese overly Japanese elements, they've done with with two different Ninja seasons in the past, this was just lazy.

Mega Force at least from a story perspective is a step in the right direction, even if what little behind the scenes information that has leaked makes it look like a mess. The plot has little to do with Goseiger (it'd have to since sufficiently advanced alien-angels would not fly on American childrens' TV). Although it is a bit close to Mighty Morphing for my tastes it is doing something different and should be applauded for that. If only it looked like they intended to keep that up for season 2.

Traab
2013-05-13, 01:40 PM
I miss Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills. That was a show that knew what it was doing.

Lord Seth
2013-05-13, 01:46 PM
You think that's bad? David Yost, the actor who played Billy, left the show because he was bullied for being gay.Or so he claimed. As far as I know, no other cast or crew member has confirmed this, and one producer of the show commented on it, denying Yost's claims. Was Yost in fact bullied about it? Heck if I know, but unless someone else has backed his statement up I can hardly accept it as unquestionable fact.

Beyond that though the series has been pretty bad since Wild Force. Disney was too afraid of the violence to let Power Ranger's best quality, the martial arts in the Sentai fights be fully utilized. Saban has gone really cheap with Megaforce and Samurai hiring some really bad actors and forcing them to act even worse for the sake of kids.I'd disagree with that. Ninja Storm was fairly goofy, but I still thought it was pretty entertaining, and Dino Thunder was pretty good also. SPD through Jungle Fury was kind of meh, but I honestly count RPM as the best season of the series. So sure, a bunch of the seasons post-Wild Force haven't been that great, but a bunch have been good (and honestly, Wild Force itself wasn't that much to write home about).

With Samurai they also made the mistake of directly copying the plot of Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, its Sentai parent. Treating the Japanese language as "Samurai Symbols of Power", casting a pair of blonde haired, blue eyed white kids to be the heirs of a Samurai clan, the team's token Asian being Korean among other things left it feeling a bit accidentally racist. There are plenty of ways they could have worked around the Japanese overly Japanese elements, they've done with with two different Ninja seasons in the past, this was just lazy.I have no problem with them directly copying the plot of Shinkenger, because Shinkenger was, from what I saw of it, pretty good. The problem is they basically copied it without any understanding of what actually made it good, so you ended up with a drastically inferior version of Shinkenger.

Here's a great example from the third episode of Samurai, "The Team Unites". The plot of the corresponding Shinkenger episode was about how Chiaki (the Green Ranger) doesn't like the way Takeru (the Red Ranger) is handling things, so he tries to strike out on his own to defeat the monster himself. This conflict between the Green Ranger and the Red Ranger was kind of the whole point of the episode, but Samurai opted to not include that conflict (I guess they wanted everyone to be buddy-buddy?) while still trying to copy the plot of the episode. So they basically copied the episode without copying the whole point of the episode, and the results were understandably subpar. This was a recurring problem in the Samurai episodes I saw: Trying to copy plots but not bothering to copy the things that made the plots work in the first place.

And again, it's not like you can't stick very close to the original story and do a good job. Power Rangers Time Force stuck very closely to the original story, but it's considered one of the best seasons of the series. It's all in how you copy it.

tensai_oni
2013-05-13, 02:26 PM
Double-reposting.

Apparently now they want him to come back for the Gokaiger adaptation.

The nerve of some people...

Well, he refused. Have a link (http://www.jefusion.com/2013/05/david-yost-declines-power-rangers-super-megaforce.html). It's hilarious how every actor apparently got the same copypasted "Dear power ranger" letter of invitation. And by hilarious I mean really sad.

If a show like Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger (yes, that is its real name) came out in the West, Saban would lose his sh*t in anger. He probably already did, since Akibaranger recently did a parody episode of the Power Rangers vs Super Sentai thing. Shame this franchise is handled so badly.

EDIT: But it could still be worse. It could be Masked Rider.

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/m/image/1264/71/1264714249828.jpg

Prime32
2013-05-13, 04:04 PM
If a show like Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger (yes, that is its real name) came out in the West, Saban would lose his sh*t in anger. He probably already did, since Akibaranger recently did a parody episode of the Power Rangers vs Super Sentai thing. Shame this franchise is handled so badly.What are you talking about? That was Powerful Rangers; completely different. :smallamused:

Lord Seth
2013-05-13, 05:32 PM
If a show like Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger (yes, that is its real name) came out in the West, Saban would lose his sh*t in anger.And if a show like Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger came out in Japan and wasn't produced by Toei (as Akibaranger was), Toei would likely get angry about it as well. I'm not sure what your point is.

Prime32
2013-05-13, 05:55 PM
Eh, I'm sure you could get away with it if you genericised things a bit, taking out the cameos and lines like "This is just like that episode of Liveman where X fought Y!". Akibaranger even did that for Toei's other shows when they didn't have to (e.g. "Masked Princess Luna Sailor"). And it's not like sentai parodies are unknown.

I mean, never mind stuff like the Tomica Hero (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whraac3aqhc) franchise, if someone could make France Five (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEf9unzJhr4)...

Rater202
2013-05-13, 05:57 PM
I am just going to leave this here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHDLFk5WUJE

Jayngfet
2013-05-13, 06:39 PM
Eh, I'm sure you could get away with it if you genericised things a bit, taking out the cameos and lines like "This is just like that episode of Liveman where X fought Y!". Akibaranger even did that for Toei's other shows when they didn't have to (e.g. "Masked Princess Luna Sailor"). And it's not like sentai parodies are unknown.

I mean, never mind stuff like the Tomica Hero (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whraac3aqhc) franchise, if someone could make France Five (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEf9unzJhr4)...

But that's... like 75% of the fun of Akibaranger. Akibaranger without cameos and references would only be good because of the cast's acting. Since an american adaptation would remove those as well an adaptation would just be plain awful.

Prime32
2013-05-13, 07:17 PM
You could still do humour along the lines of Power Rangers RPM ("why do our zords have eyes?"). Plus plenty of Akibaranger's jokes aren't that specific - season 1 had the characters winning fights by Discworld-esque exploiting of tropes ("She said 'I'll leave it to you', then left the monster to fight us on its own! That's a victory flag!"), unheroic tactics, fourth wall breakage, and Akagi calling people realfags. You don't need to get rid of things that are referential, just the characters outright stating "This happened in episode X of Y series, here's a summary of events while we watch a clip from it".

Jayngfet
2013-05-13, 08:19 PM
You could still do humour along the lines of Power Rangers RPM ("why do our zords have eyes?"). Plus plenty of Akibaranger's jokes aren't that specific - season 1 had the characters winning fights by Discworld-esque exploiting of tropes ("She said 'I'll leave it to you', then left the monster to fight us on its own! That's a victory flag!"), unheroic tactics, fourth wall breakage, and Akagi calling people realfags. You don't need to get rid of things that are referential, just the characters outright stating "This happened in episode X of Y series, here's a summary of events while we watch a clip from it".

Yeah, but then that'd just be a watered down version of what Akibaranger already did. It'd be Akibaranger with about half the jokes and half the references and none of the original finesse. It'd be Akibaranger divided by two.

darkblade
2013-05-15, 09:01 AM
Unless Saban wants to dedicate a lot of money to adapting Akibaranger (Power Rangers: Delusions of Grandeur) something as directly referential is next to impossible. Even rewriting the jokes to be Power Rangers you'd have issues with the Jetwinger, since Jetman doesn't have a counterpart.

Although thinking about this it could be fun. You have the Nobuo counterpart be a Linkara-esque superfan. Yumeria an Otaku sentai purist. Mitsuki pretty much the same as a normal straight man only hear to punch things for the most part. Hiroyo runs a comic book shop. This could almost work.

Prime32
2013-05-15, 02:01 PM
Even rewriting the jokes to be Power Rangers you'd have issues with the Jetwinger, since Jetman doesn't have a counterpart.Just leave it in. Have that sentai purist be the one to summon Red Hawk, followed by the other characters asking "Who the hell is Red Hawk?" :smalltongue:

...if there was a PR adaptation, does that mean Tommy and Jason would be brainwashed into thinking they're the Zyurangers? :smallamused:

Wolf_Haley
2013-05-15, 02:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, who are everyones Top 3 Reds?

For me it's pretty easy
1. Carter
2. Andross
3. Tommy

darkblade
2013-05-15, 05:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, who are everyones Top 3 Reds?

1) Carter
2) Wes
3) Leo

Wolf_Haley
2013-05-15, 06:24 PM
1) Carter
2) Wes
3) Leo
Thinking about it more, I gotta agree with that. Nice to see another person think carter was dat dude.

Rater202
2013-05-15, 06:52 PM
Tommy(Zeo)
Jason
Tommy(turbo)

Lord Seth
2013-05-19, 12:24 AM
Of course, all that is a moot point. Because, and this is the hilarious part, Saban, one of the richest men on the planet, in managing his multi-million dollar franchise, couldn't even afford what it'd cost to bring back all these actors and cancelled most of the appearances before the people involved could even make a decision.

Let me put this into perspective. A man who's just under the 100 richest people on earth, a multi-billionaire, running a company made almost specifically for this show, a show that compresses roughly fifty episodes into twenty and uses predone footage for all the action and villain scenes and dubs over them with non-guild cards, can't afford to pay a few dozen people minimum wage to show up for one episode each or give them a good enough deal that they'd be willing to settle. I mean, Power Rangers is still profitable but it looks like almost none of that translates back into the shows production budget.The problem with all of this "Haim Saban is super super rich!" is that Haim Saban himself, from my understanding, has virtually nothing to do with the actual production of the show. The extent of his affiliation with it appears to be that he owns the company that owns the company that owns the company that makes the show.

As for the whole Toei thing:

Ok. Lets contrast this to what Toei is doing with IT'S team of actors for Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, just to make this even more apparent. Because they didn't relocate their set thousands of miles away to save a few dollars, it's easy for willing actors to just show up for a cameo here or there.But the set is relocated (though for the record, it was Disney that did the relocation, Saban Brands just decided to not mess with it and stick around there), so your whole point here is kind of moot.

I'm not going to say that this hasn't been rather mishandled, at least from a publicity standpoint, but I think some of your arguments are ill-founded.

Jayngfet
2013-05-19, 12:43 AM
The problem with all of this "Haim Saban is super super rich!" is that Haim Saban himself, from my understanding, has virtually nothing to do with the actual production of the show. The extent of his affiliation with it appears to be that he owns the company that owns the company that owns the company that makes the show.

He owns the company, and made a good deal of his fortune off the show.

Disney paid a HUGE amount of money for the show, and even then he's been making money off importing Sentai and other japanese shows since the 80's. I mean Disney bought the show for over five billion dollars, after he'd been milking it for a decade and had profited from adapting Sentai

I don't expect it to all be reinvested in his business, or even any real amount. It's just kind of disappointing that out of all the money he's made, he's still using the cheapest actors possible and using such questionable methods.

As for the whole Toei thing:
But the set is relocated (though for the record, it was Disney that did the relocation, Saban Brands just decided to not mess with it and stick around there), so your whole point here is kind of moot.

Yeah, but Saban kept the relocation anyway. They didn't just get blindsided here. They knew they'd be getting reunion sentai footage for Gokaiger since before Samurai even began filming. They also knew this wasn't a one off movie or a couple of episodes, but an entire series like this. They knew, going into this from the start, that they were going to have to at least mention previous members and explain ranger series they didn't adapt. They also knew that filming in New Zealand would probably be problematic. They decided to do it anyway.

But again. That's one of a whole lot of major problems Saban and co. have with their casting and human relations.

Lord Seth
2013-05-19, 01:10 PM
He owns the company, and made a good deal of his fortune off the show.

Disney paid a HUGE amount of money for the show, and even then he's been making money off importing Sentai and other japanese shows since the 80's. I mean Disney bought the show for over five billion dollars, after he'd been milking it for a decade and had profited from adapting SentaiWrong. The $5 billion was for a significantly bigger deal that Power Rangers just happened to be a small part of. This is akin to saying that Disney spent $4 billion to buy the rights to Ahsoka Tano when they purchased Lucasfilm. It's a complete misrepresentation of what happened.

I don't expect it to all be reinvested in his business, or even any real amount. It's just kind of disappointing that out of all the money he's made, he's still using the cheapest actors possible and using such questionable methods.See, that's the problem again. You're blaming Haim Saban for stuff he likely has very little (if anything) to do with. From what I can tell, it's some guy named Elie Dekel who's in charge of these things right now.

Jayngfet
2013-05-19, 04:32 PM
Wrong. The $5 billion was for a significantly bigger deal that Power Rangers just happened to be a small part of. This is akin to saying that Disney spent $4 billion to buy the rights to Ahsoka Tano when they purchased Lucasfilm. It's a complete misrepresentation of what happened.

Right, apologies. The point however still stands. Saban cut costs in a whole lot of places and didn't budget for this when they KNEW it was coming up, and it came back to bite them.

See, that's the problem again. You're blaming Haim Saban for stuff he likely has very little (if anything) to do with. From what I can tell, it's some guy named Elie Dekel who's in charge of these things right now.

I'm using Saban's name more as a placeholder than anything. The distribution company and production company both bear his name, so it's more for convenience than actually thinking he's on set making decisions. Because there are so many they can't possibly be all from one or even a couple of people.

But again, this is all semantics. I'd like to repeat the point again:

Saban and co. KNEW this was coming. They knew years in advance. They knew almost from the very first moment they began planning. All these decisions were made with the knowledge that this exact situation would come up and they knew exactly when it would come up. They still screwed up in what's probably a dozen or more ways in executing this, in a manner they have no right to.