PDA

View Full Version : Your first character?

Sylthia
2013-05-09, 12:10 AM
I thought I'd see what everyone's first experience with RPGs and their first character was.

My first experience was with 2nd ed AD&D. I was a complete noob back then, but it was fun. I had a CG half-elf ranger. I lost the sheet long ago, but I think my stats were something like.

Str: 15
Dex: 13
Con: 18 (I wanted lots of hit points)
Int: 8
Wis: 9
Cha:6

My stats weren't the greatest. I remember none of my mental stats were above 10 for sure.

Malak'ai
2013-05-09, 12:35 AM
My first RPG experience was with M.E.R.P (expanded with RoleMaster).

I had an Noldor Elf Fighter who went onto learn some open Essence spells.
He had some pretty good stats.
Strength: 102
Agility: 97
Constitution: 99
Intelligence: 87
Intuition: 91
Presence: 71

Played him for about 18 months. Ended up being about level 9 or something.

imaloony
2013-05-09, 09:31 AM
My first character EVER was a Ninja in a system that my friend designed. It was used in an arena-combat game that was mainly just for kicks.
I don't remember the first character that I ever used in a real campaign. The earliest I remember was an Elven Ranger in our 3-year long AD&D campaign.

ManifestPR
2013-05-09, 09:46 AM
My first character ever was a level 5 Dwarf Fighter named Melari in a 3.5 D&D game. I think I got to level 8 until my friend and I had a falling out which then prompted me to GM my own game and then start my own group.

Vixsor Lumin
2013-05-09, 10:02 AM
My first character was a 3.5 warforged psion starting rolls were awful, not that I knew it at the time. I remember he pretty much the worst build ever and couldn't function in combat. Still knew of my favorite characters ever, because of all the work and time I put into his background. To bad the game died during the first combat :smallfrown: it was pbp

Rhynn
2013-05-09, 10:21 AM
Finnish translation of Mentzer Basic D&D, a fighter. I think he had a 16 Strength, which was awesome. I wanted him to become a paladin but he never got to a high enough level. I also know the character sheet was lost a few times and I had to write him up, from (poor) memory, on a new one.

I had a specific miniature for him, from the board game Kalahen: a sort of skinny guy holding a sword before him in both hands, pointed straight ahed and a bit up.

I don't remember his name. I want to say it was Taran (possibly gotten from The Black Cauldron PC adventure game; I never saw the movie as a kid), but I doubt it actually was.

Marcus Amakar
2013-05-09, 10:52 AM
In my first game I don't think we use any stats at all. We just had Hp and the weapon we were using. We rolled d20 to do something and if the roll was good enough (DM's call but in reality group consensus ) we succeeded.

As we didn't know any rules we ended up all dual-wielding dire-flails :smallbiggrin:

My first proper character was Renius, a NE fighter of Nerull. Stats were
Str 15
Dex 13
Con 15
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 13

Looking at the character sheet about 50% of it was filled in wrong.

Icewraith
2013-05-09, 11:09 AM
I had a bard. It was mostly me and one other newbie, so I figured we needed to cover all the bases. His rolled stats were decent under 25 point buy, but terrible compared to the other players, most of whom also didn't know what they were doing - except for the one guy playing a half-dragon I-don't-remember-the-class. I discovered after I started DMing how little the DM knew at the time, even though he was the one who got us all playing. I thought two-weapon fighting was the best thing ever. You got to roll twice as many times!

I found the character sheet during my last move, the armor I had actually was pretty awesome, mainly because it was studded leather armor of thorns with stats cribbed directly from Diablo II (I think the DM recited them from memory and I just wrote them down) instead of anything you could possibly get out of the PHB or DMG.

Later I got tired of not doing any discernable damage and my spells rarely seemed to be useful (so why not use the off hand for another weapon? Also I couldn't cast while bardsonging), clearly the way to go now was a half-orc fighter, so I could at least try to get a 20 strength. The way to go here was still clearly two-weapon fighting with a heavy mace and a handaxe, because I had doodled it while bored in class one day and it looked cool. Also I had noticed the DM had some very entrenched preconceived notions regarding the value and desirability of "pretty" races like elves vs. "ugly" races like half-orcs.

Once we started discovering third-party splatbooks, but before we realized the difference between first and third party, I ended up playing a wild mage with spell and ability lists drawn from a multitude of third party sources (but this was still 3.0, so I never used the official 3.5 wild mage, which would probably have been safer and more effective than most of the stuff I was using).

I also at some point had an assassin that only had levels in the assassin class. It was probably around this point that I started reading more of the DMG, realized what a vast amount of options there was regarding magic items and prestige classes and how little of it we were actually using, and that a lot of the rules we had been going by were not rules or not correct according to the rulebook.

While those early adventures and characters were fun, and I don't think I would change them for anything, it's staggering how much more interesting things got once we learned enough of how the system was supposed to work that we understood most of the options available to us in and out of combat.

Amoren
2013-05-09, 11:15 AM
The first character ever that I made myself (and wasn't a joke character my mom made while she was DMing and had to take care of me at the same time) was a mutant martial artist from Palladium's system (Heroes Unlimited mixed with Ninjas and Superspies, I believe), set in the Nightbane universe.

He... Was effectively given supernatural strength, could fly, had the armor of a tank, and healing factor. On top of martial artist capabilities. He also had amnesia. He punched demon's heads clean off their shoulders, and was the ultimate expression of screw you if he ever got in melee range (and he could fly darn fast).

I may have been a bit of an unknowing munchkin at the time, but the character did grow to become a more rounded character as he explored more of the Buddhist philosophy and martial arts legacy of his Shaolin form.

Angel Bob
2013-05-09, 11:32 AM
My very first character was way back in elementary school, in some 3.x edition my friend invited me to play. I made your standard elf wizard, who may even have had a raven familiar...

After :vaarsuvius: came a hiatus, until the same friend invited me into a D&D 4E group that remains today. I had very little grasp of the rules, but the friend built me an eladrin tactical warlord. I maxxed out his Intelligence whenever I had the opportunity and basically characterized him as the Eleventh Doctor, right down to asking the DM if I could have a magic fez. Arbitrarily, he decided that if I rolled a natural 20, I could find one. That was my first critical. XD

You know, perhaps we should have a "First Natural 20" thread. In my D&D group, almost everyone has had an extremely notable first critical. (The dwarf cleric's first 20 was on a Thievery check to pick a lock with her beard, a la Artemis Fowl.)

Avilan the Grey
2013-05-09, 04:11 PM
First character was with a Swedish game called "Drakar & Demoner" (basically Rolemaster).

Duck warrior AFAIR. (And no, the picture is not mine, nor of my character, specifically).
http://www.piruett.se/blogg/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/egerkransanka.jpg

Kikon9
2013-05-09, 04:30 PM
My first character was a 4e pixie arachnomancer. I had to use homebrew stuff I found online because I only had the rules compendium available. As I recall, she had a single dungeon crawl, nearly got killed by a necromancer, was outwitted by a child, and retired in a small village in the wilderness.

Mordar
2013-05-09, 05:16 PM
I remember very little about my first character, other than his "class": Elf.

Yup, that long ago. Boy, did I love those boxes and booklets...

- M

LimeSkeleton
2013-05-09, 05:22 PM
I remember playing a human rogue named Trace in basic d&d with my friends a long time ago. We had no idea what we were doing (including the DM) and ended up getting devoured by a chuul. Still had a blast though. :smallsmile:

Aolbain
2013-05-09, 06:18 PM
The elven rogue Nicomo. He survived longer then expected but died crying in his own pee.

Knight.Anon
2013-05-09, 06:21 PM
I had a 1e Psionic Barbarian.

Lord Torath
2013-05-09, 06:31 PM
It's hard to remember. Blue Book Basic D&D. I suspect it was a wizard named Gandalf (I know, I know. I was 6. Cut me some slack.) who completely over-estimated the effectiveness of Magic Missile (Come on, everyone knows what missiles are! I see them in G.I. Joe and Robotech all the time! One of those should easily kill a giant crab!)

Either that or a human fighter with a flail, shield, and a horned helmet (the kind real vikings never wore) because my older brother (the DM) had a miniature that looked like that. Again, this was ages ago, so I'm not certain.

sktarq
2013-05-09, 06:33 PM
I remember very little about my first character, other than his "class": Elf.

Yup, that long ago. Boy, did I love those boxes and booklets...

- M

Same here. Class:Elf All of our info was badly water damaged or 2nd hand. Dice would not make an appearance for about a year. Great stories though.

Sylthia
2013-05-09, 08:05 PM
It's funny seeing how many of the characters I've played would have been illegal if I tried them during 2nd ed. Maybe that's part of the reason so many people played humans or elves back then.

Callin
2013-05-09, 10:32 PM
AD&D Elven Ranger. Sept of 98 at the start of my Senior year of HS. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Remmirath
2013-05-09, 11:34 PM
My first character was a lawful good (well, lawful to begin with) cleric, who I had intended to be a paladin originally but didn't have good enough stats for it. Her name was Nedla, and I tended to think that she was better at fighting than she was (she didn't have a very great strength or constitution, and in fact her charisma was her highest stat; I didn't arrange the stats at all when after I rolled them). It was AD&D, mostly version one with a little two thrown in here and there.

It took me a long time to figure out how to play a lawful character, and so she gradually slipped into being chatoic good in the end. So, it's just as well she wasn't a paladin; she probably wouldn't've done very well as one.

erikun
2013-05-10, 01:49 AM
My very first character was a pre-generated female fighter for an AD&D 2nd edition game. Mid-to-high level with a bag of holding, I think she stabbed something to death, used a spare mundane sword to clean some acid-slime off a hidden passage, and looked a hag in the eye... and promptly spent the rest of the game paralyzed until the party killed it. Not very amazing, my first time out.

My second character was when I was running at a DM, a Filborg giant cleric. He didn't have his large-sized mace, and so went around punching and throwing stuff around instead. It may sound absurd, but note that the PCs included a drow, a half-dragon, something that could polymorph into anything, and a weretiger.

The next PC character I had was a human cleric when D&D 3.0 first came out. Made a mess with his skill points. Managed to outwit the DM by having my NG naive cleric offer to bless and heal the (rather obvious) succubus and drive her away. :smalltongue: Received two enlarged invisible Duergar axes in the back, dropping from full health to negatives in one round. Lots of fun, but the campaign ended when the DM lost all the paperwork for it, including character sheets.

BWR
2013-05-10, 06:26 AM
A human thief named Pike in Zanzer Tem's Dungeon, the introductory adventure in the introductory boxed set to Basic D&D.
I can't remember much except that he had 2 hp, and died from the very first blow in the very first encounter. I hadn't played more more than an hour, probably something like 30 minutes.

QuintonBeck
2013-05-10, 08:48 AM
My very first character was an interesting once because I was playing with a DM who outlawed all the basic base classes for his game, forcing us to pick the obscure classes and coincidentally odd races as well. I ended up being a LN gunslinging/sniper kenku who used a stolen etherblade from an ethergaunt as my touch-AC rifle. That was a fun campaign unfortunately it ended without much conclusion when the DM had to move.

Buddha's_Cookie
2013-05-10, 09:11 AM
My first character was one of two characters, both in 3.5.

First was a human ranger Geroth, had good rolls. Don't remember why he joined the party or why he stayed for that matter. He died while the party was trying to get through a puzzle door, by drinking tea (poison) out of a pool of magic water. The DM let me bring him back as a ghost and continue with the party. It ended shortly after the hobgoblin druid cast Reincarnation (improperly) and I became an orc.

Second was a dwarven fighter Rurik, had really good rolls. He became obsolete very fast when the "power gamer" cleric joined the party (hobgoblin above). Rurik was well known for bad rolls especially while drinking, I had a record of about 4 drinks before passing out (DC started at about 12 and went up from there). Thankfully and happly, my DM for that game is rebooting the game in a few weeks with new characters.

Bulhakov
2013-05-10, 09:26 AM
I started out with a stereotypical axe-swinging ale-drinking Dwarf Fighter using a simplified Warhammer system.

Jay R
2013-05-10, 09:27 AM
Darkstar, a paladin, in Original D&D (plus Greyhawk, which had just come out). Back then we rolled 3d6, in order, and I actually rolled CHA 18 and STR 16.

He picked up a Chaotic intelligent sword which turned him Chaotic (which meant evil) during his first adventure, but since the rest of the party didn't know it, he managed to kill them all and take the entire treasure.

He eventually escaped the sword, atoned for his misdeeds, and recovered his paladin status.

He had a Rod of Cancellation. He actually faced Orcus once, and managed to hit Orcus's wand with the Rod. There were no rules for that then, so the DM ruled that the Wand would stop working for 30 days, and Orcus fled.

When he was last seen, his right hand had six fingers and two thumbs, and his left leg was an artificial mithril one.

He is now retired, and makes an occasional appearance as an NPC. His old Rod of Cancellation is now an artifact. It will work as Orcus's wand once, and no demon will approach within 100 yards of it.

LtPowers
2013-05-10, 09:28 AM
Star Wars D6 - New Republic Bureaucrat.

Hey, it was in the book. That character lasted a long, long time.

Powers &8^]

Joe the Rat
2013-05-10, 09:31 AM
First ever? Mmmm... Well, there was that nameless fighter with the 17 strength and a grudge against Bargle, but I don't think that counts...

The earliest I can remember with any clarity is the 1e Half-Elf Thief-Magic User (with psionics) that hung around with an apocalyptically flatulent Barbarian. Our greatest victories were achieved through judicious use of the flame finger cantrip.

Raimun
2013-05-10, 09:49 AM
It was an obscure system, lost in time. I was an elven fighter who was armed to the teeth and who could cast a lightning bolt once per day.

North_Ranger
2013-05-10, 09:59 AM
First character? Whoa, that takes me back... almost twenty years. Creepy, that.

In any case... an Esrolian warrior from RuneQuest, if memory serves. I no longer remember his name, but I do remember how he ended up: getting his fingers and his... um, unmentionables... chopped for highway robbery. The players and the GM were all twelve or thirteen at the time, so that was about it ;)

First properly played character, though? Jaradan Storm-Eyes, a priest of the Sun God Kai in a friend's homebrew game system, set in the world of John Dever's Lone Wolf series. He and his companions fought against Giaks (goblins) and the agents of the Dark Lord, their quest culminating in a desperate battle over a frozen bridge.

Rhynn
2013-05-10, 10:05 AM
First ever? Mmmm... Well, there was that nameless fighter with the 17 strength and a grudge against Bargle, but I don't think that counts...

Damn that adventure! There's no way to save Aleena! Argh!

OverdrivePrime
2013-05-10, 10:09 AM
I rolled up my first character - a 2nd edition human fighter with the barbarian kit - back in 1991, toward the end of my freshman year of high school. Gareth Stormfury, a prince of the mighty Phoenix clan, who carried a bastard sword named Totstrecher and a battle axe of hurling named Donnersleid.

He was so much fun to play, particularly alongside my best friend's dark elf archer. We played those characters for three years straight!

I remember how excited I was about his stats - 18/98 strength, 16 con, and 17 charisma. Everything else was about average, but not embarrassing.

When not in combat, he was always working out and training... and because I was in my young teens... he never drank alcohol. He drank milk, and if you had a problem with it you could take it up with his fists.

His adventures ranged across continents and he made a name for himself as a slayer of dragons, demons and nazgul. Eventually, he made it to 10th level, and the DM ended the campaign with him as the king of the northern tribes, and having him stepping into a dimensional portal, called into the future to save the past... somehow. o__O

Morbis Meh
2013-05-10, 11:10 AM
A partial gestalt Dwarf fighter dual wielding dwarven waraxes named Ein... good times were had, namely challenging an Orc general to a fist fight after being caught in the ecampment. He lost the fight but when he was being interogated he busted out yo mamma jokes then escaped only to come back and demolish the camp and said general XD

Mordar
2013-05-10, 02:43 PM
First character? Whoa, that takes me back... almost twenty years. Creepy, that.

AD&D Elven Ranger. Sept of 98 at the start of my Senior year of HS. I remember it like it was yesterday.

That's because it was like yesterday! Now both you kids get off my lawn before sktarq and I start telling you about having to color our dice with crayons! :smallsmile:

Phippster
2013-05-10, 04:11 PM
I was a Chaotic Stupid Fire Genasi Fighter in DnD 3.5, and I remember that I played him like the biggest idiot I can think of. That was never my intention at the time, but I think I was about 10 or 11 years old, and so the plan "Go back to the town where you burnt down the bar six months ago" sounded like a great idea.

I do remember that I rolled really good stats, though. He had an 18 Str, 16 Con, and some other decent ability scores. He actually ended up becoming Lawful Good (While really being more like Chaotic Good) and becoming a Platinum Knight (A homebrew version, not the standard PrC). He was fun, though.

Oh, and his name was Zero. I was ten.

Ilvaria
2013-05-12, 08:21 PM
My first character is a True Neutral Human Cleric, played in DND Pathfinder, named Allison Jones. I still use her every now and then but I haven't been able to pull her out for a while...

Her stats:

STR 14 (+2)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 14 (+2)

Note her really good one is Intelligence.... should have mixed it up, but oh well.... I have two, soon to be 3, new characters... meaning I still play. ;)

Deaxsa
2013-05-12, 08:40 PM
honestly, i don't remember my first character ( i think it was a rogue/ranger or somesuch). what i DO remember is the gish charger DMPC :smallsigh:... not the best thing to remember :smalleek:

Conor77
2013-05-13, 01:10 AM
Ah, my first character: a Xeph Soulknife, made only a couple of years ago, in 3.5 D&D. I learned (quickly) how dumb that was. My second was a Human Monk, my third a Paladin. Yep, I'm really good at picking all the lowest tier classes.

Mnemophage
2013-05-13, 02:54 AM
Oh man, I can barely even remember this.

D&D 3.0, somewhere in the horrible middle of highschool. I was an Elven Cleric of Death. Lawful Neutral, I think I was, and kinda skeeved at the fact that I was obviously intended to go tromping around in massive, heavy armor swinging flails in holy combat when I intended to be more like a priest, laying people to rest and ministering to grieving families. I quickly figured out that this was far from a serious game; I think my guy's specialty wound up being "interrogate the guy we just killed". Since I had no idea what I was doing, she wound up with a higher Charisma than she had Wisdom. I think she eventually died via catapult.

Ionbound
2013-05-13, 04:00 PM
AD&D Human Ranger...Played 1/2 of an adventure, then died horribly. Those were the days.

Dirac Lotus
2013-05-13, 04:47 PM
My first ever character was a 7' barbarian, in Ravenloft, with a Nabishin-style afro and a Brian Blessed beard. He was a smart cookie, and ended up multiclassing into Wizard after he had a lucky streak with a Deck of Many Things, giving him both enlightenment and 50,000 gp worth of bling.

After killing Soth three times (admittedly in past, but not quite) he managed to escape the mists and set up a small breeds farm.

Amaril
2013-05-13, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure my very first character was the elven fighter/mage I "played" (and I use the term loosely) in a game my dad ran for me when I was five years old, because I'd seen him playing Baldur's Gate and was curious about D&D. It was supposed to be 2nd edition, but because I was so young my dad basically let me do whatever I wanted, though he did still have me roll dice. Surprisingly, as far as I remember, I actually ended up completing my quest rather than going off on some random tangent that made perfect sense to my barely-formed toddler brain.

I may have barely understood the rules and not have been able to spell "wizard" yet, but my dad must have done something right, because D&D has been my favorite game in the world ever since :smallsmile:

LemonSkye
2013-05-14, 01:26 AM
The first character I actually played was for a 3.5 D&D game, a male half-orc Ranger named Thatcher Krekk. His backstory was that he came home one day to find his mother and grandparents murdered by the townsfolk for harboring him, ended up killing a bunch of them in a fit of rage, and took to the woods in his shame.

Apparently, my backstory wasn't wholly unique. Both of our other players had dead families and mass murder in their backgrounds, and I think our DM was more annoyed with us than anything.

It was also the first and last time I tried playing a character of another gender. I didn't use a terribly low voice when roleplaying (it hurts my throat if I do it for too long), and the other players and the DM were always referring to my character as if he were female. When I had him become increasingly incensed by this in-character, everyone basically said that they couldn't be bothered to remember my character's gender and why didn't I just play a girl anyway?

Long story short, it is now a rule in our games that each person may only play characters of their gender.

FinnLassie
2013-05-14, 02:33 AM
Åtavanis (later Otavanis), that sweet blonde voluptuous lady... I don't even know what I was thinking. She had a chain mail bra and a skimpy leather skirt.

We had a RuneQuest based game made by my friend and the only thing I can remember from her character sheet is that she was good at swimming, jumping, she ended up having over 100 in suggestion and 97 in weaponless fighting. So basically she was a bitchslapping seductress. :smalltongue: Otavanis was a bar dancer and an alcoholic and she carried around various types of spirits with her, one which could make a grown man pass out in two minutes, and a beverage that she threw into a pit where there lied a horrible monster and the booze just sort of... exploded and left behind a purple haze...

She was a funny character to play but after a year of dealing with her inability of anything else but getting good bargains and slapping dirty old men, it was time to let go. Planning to bring her back though... but much more modestly dressed and with at least some weapon skills. :smalltongue:

Mastikator
2013-05-14, 04:46 AM
First character was with a Swedish game called "Drakar & Demoner" (basically Rolemaster).

Same here. I played Melkor, a high elven priest that started out good and eventually sided with evil, walked around with a staff with a demon imprisoned. He died in a campaign I DMed later as an NPC, which left the players stranded on an island.
Good times.

sarid
2013-05-14, 05:08 AM
Mine was in chaosium's runequest two. A sable rider who worshipped the red goddess and killed a lot of people. Basically she was xena warrior princess, but gloranthan. Ended up a complete bad ass with a lot of enchanted gear, retired to the northern continent to hunt ice demons and generally kick ass.:smallbiggrin:

Yondu
2013-05-14, 08:38 AM
My first character war an Elf in OD&D, he was after tranfered to AD&D as a Fighter/Mage.
He was pretty tough with high abilities, and face death several times..
When the second edition came, he followed and now is a Dragon Lord (a French Homebrew class) 16th level, and I still play him...

DisasterArea42
2013-05-14, 11:19 AM
3.5 Gnome Fighter. Outlived almost everyone in the starting party with the exception of the fumbling rogue that pissed off a vampire. also made a deal with a epic level homebrewed psion for information. Meant I got to puke up a Lovecraftian monster once, so it was worth it.

Salbazier
2013-05-15, 07:51 AM
A duskblade. Half elf or human can't remember. For a PbP in a small forum dedicated to it. It didn't the last for even ...5, 10 posts? The site was down for some reason and then the site owner made a new one with brand new campaign and setting.

Samshiir
2013-05-16, 01:18 PM
My first character was an Elf Barbarian named Samshiir (go figure!), created to help my father playtest 3rd Edition when it first came out when I was 8.

Since then, I've rebuilt him as a Ranger, because thats how I naturally play him. I realized this when one of my co-players once asked why I was a Barbarian that never raged, didn't have Power Attack, and PrC'd into a Druidic class (I forget what the PrC was).

Now that I mainly DM, he pops up as an NPC Cameo for my friends a lot.

Arythia
2013-05-17, 12:33 AM
My first character was (is, total noob here :smalltongue: ) a Neutral Good Sorceress Elf named Arythia (D&D 3.5) who has been shunned by her family for her natural magic abilities.

Level 2 (leveling up this weekend!)
STR 11
DEX 18
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 17

HP 14

I have loved building her back story and working on her stats and skills. I know I will be heartbroken if/when she dies.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-17, 12:46 AM
My very first roleplay experience was either with the (pre D20) Call of Cthulu RPG or Traveler... I can't remember which.

In Traveler I was your typical space marine type character with a laser rifle <. .> There was no personality, I don't even remember how stats work in that game at this point, but I do remember we changed games because despite my noobishness I'd managed to build a humanoid abomination in terms of combat capability. (Everything our GM threw at us died momentarily thereafter.)

In Call of Cthulu, I wasn't actually allowed to build a character, my GM pre-built characters for everyone - I was supposed to be the party face. I... was not cut out for this task at the time. (Today, sure I'll build a party face - in fact most of my characters in any system have at least some social skill if such a skill is available to them - but at the time? Nononono...) About the only things I remember about the character are his nickname - "Pretty Boy", and the fact that he had a sawed off shotgun and I could hit *nothing* with it for some reason. It was also pointless because this was Call of Cthulu and it all ends in insanity and death anyway.

---

Sylthia
2013-05-17, 01:28 AM
My first character was (is, total noob here :smalltongue: ) a Neutral Good Sorceress Elf named Arythia (D&D 3.5) who has been shunned by her family for her natural magic abilities.

Level 2 (leveling up this weekend!)
STR 11
DEX 18
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 17

HP 14

I have loved building her back story and working on her stats and skills. I know I will be heartbroken if/when she dies.

Don't worry, old D&D characters never die. They just fade away.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-17, 09:53 AM
And thanks to True Resurrection, you can always bring them back later >_>

Kislath
2013-05-17, 10:10 AM
Maloch was my first guy, a 1st edition ("red box") Elf.
Remember how "Elf" was a Class back then, not a race? It was a fighter/mage, the only kind of dual-class you could have back then.

1984 seems so long ago sometimes, and yet so recent. I sure miss those days.

I still have his character sheet and a really cool picture an artist buddy of mine drew of him, packed in a huge purple duffel bag with 30 years' worth of various gaming stuff. ( including my first dice, those cheap originals that came with the game that you had to fill in with a crayon. )

Mordar
2013-05-17, 12:09 PM
It was also pointless because this was Call of Cthulu and it all ends in insanity and death anyway.

Falsehood! Untruth! Slander!

I fondly remember my first CoC group...we played the same characters for a couple of years (about every other weekend), and of the 6 of us, only one character died and while several had to visit the shrinks, none of us went perma-bonkers.

For the record, my character was a young German scholar/inventor with minimal combat capability, armed with curiosity and the engineering chops to build a flame thrower. I'm glad I only did that once, because the heart of CoC is mystery, not burning down houses full of cultists.

- M

Rhynn
2013-05-17, 12:27 PM
Falsehood! Untruth! Slander!

I fondly remember my first CoC group...we played the same characters for a couple of years (about every other weekend), and of the 6 of us, only one character died and while several had to visit the shrinks, none of us went perma-bonkers.

For the record, my character was a young German scholar/inventor with minimal combat capability, armed with curiosity and the engineering chops to build a flame thrower. I'm glad I only did that once, because the heart of CoC is mystery, not burning down houses full of cultists.

- M

Hear, hear! The "everyone always dies/goes crazy in CoC" meme completely ignores that it's still a game meant for ongoing campaigns. It just ain't true. (Heck, many of the best modules published for it are long campaigns!)

Although, given that The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is the single most CoCRPG-like Lovecraft story, I'd say it's perfectly expected that sometimes you get an armed mob and storm the sorcerer's abode. :smallcool: (But more firepower does make for less fun, as a rule.)

Fighter1000
2013-05-17, 04:57 PM
My first character was for D&D 3.5. He was a human fighter.
This character was my foot in the door when it came to the hobby of tabletop roleplaying. I only played this character in one session. He didn't die, but I don't think he got to kill anything either.
I don't remember his name at all and the character sheet is long gone.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-17, 06:08 PM
Falsehood! Untruth! -S+lander!

- M

If you played with my GM >_> Believe me, it ended in insanity and death. Also probably pizza.

TuggyNE
2013-05-17, 08:12 PM
I don't remember his name at all and the character sheet is long gone.

Was his name One Thousand, perchance? :smallcool: