PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade 13/IotSFV 7

Rahdjan
2013-05-09, 12:48 AM
Hey all,

I'd been thinking about the Duskblade lately and how since it gets it's capstone abliity at 13 and IotSFV is a 7 level PrC if there was a way to make this combo work. I was looking at the requirements for the Initiate and the only hang up I see is being able to cast 2 4th level abjuration spells. According to the list, the only 4th level abjuration the duskblade gets is dispel magic. Keeping in mind, the duskblade would need to commit 3 feats to go into the PrC, is there a way to get another 4th level abjuration spell without leaving the class?

Now I have no idea whether this combo is a good idea or not, but I think it's a neat one. Thoughts.

Aegis013
2013-05-09, 01:22 AM
You could ask your DM about Knowstones from Dragon Magazine (I forget the issue) or a Drake Helm from Explorer's Handbook to add other 4th level abjuration spells to your list.

It wouldn't be a bad combination. You'd lose some BAB and HP, but you'd get some nifty class features.

Alternatively you could use Versatile Spellcaster + Heighten Spell metamagic feat to increase a lower level abjuration spell to 4th level or something, assuming your DM allows you to do that and allows that to qualify.

Vaz
2013-05-09, 05:05 AM
Arcane Disciple. Choose one with a Domain Spell for Abjuration.

Darkness; Armour of Darkness
Ocean; Freedom of Movement
Luck; Freedom of Movement
Summer; Skin of the Cactus

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-09, 09:05 AM
Arcane Disciple. Choose one with a Domain Spell for Abjuration.

Darkness; Armour of Darkness
Ocean; Freedom of Movement
Luck; Freedom of Movement
Summer; Skin of the Cactus

you still have to learn the spells from arcane disciple. the issue is a duskblade gets one spell known per level and only gets 4th lv spells at lv 13. still needed of course because duskblade's only 4th lv abjuration is dispel magic.

only1doug
2013-05-09, 09:31 AM
A runestaff containing a 4th level abjuration spell would do the trick wouldn't it?

pyromanser244
2013-05-09, 09:41 AM
A runestaff containing a 4th level abjuration spell would do the trick wouldn't it?

I don't think so. if you loose the runestaff you loose the ability to qualify for the PrC after taking the Prc which leaves you with a whopping paradox most DMs aren't going to allow.

only1doug
2013-05-09, 09:49 AM
I don't think so. if you loose the runestaff you loose the ability to qualify for the PrC after taking the Prc which leaves you with a whopping paradox most DMs aren't going to allow.

Not such a problem if the PRC allows you to qualify for it in the absence of the runestaff, no worse than examples given of an item (belt of giant str) acting to allow a feat (power attack) and losing the item loses access to the feat and thus any other feats or classes that it acts as a pre-req for. Pretty standard, if you no longer meet the pre-req you don't have access to the abilities.

What happens to a wizard / IotSFV who is subjected to intellegence drain such that he can no longer cast 4th level spells? same situation, different route to the problem, suggested solution: regain access via any route that meets the pre-reqs.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-09, 09:50 AM
But you once you DO get a level in the PRC you gain enough spells known to cast a second abjuration. The issue resolves itself.'

So arcane disciple to maintain your access and a runestaff to gain access at exactly 13th level.

Metahuman1
2013-05-09, 09:57 AM
you still have to learn the spells from arcane disciple. the issue is a duskblade gets one spell known per level and only gets 4th lv spells at lv 13. still needed of course because duskblade's only 4th lv abjuration is dispel magic.

Wait, don't duskblades automatically know all the spells on there spell list?

only1doug
2013-05-09, 09:59 AM
Wait, don't duskblades automatically know all the spells on there spell list?

Nope, they have to choose.

Vaz
2013-05-09, 10:13 AM
Ooh, Illumian (Krau). Count as 4th level for Crown of Protection?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-09, 10:23 AM
Ooh, Illumian (Krau). Count as 4th level for Crown of Protection?

Krau increases caster level (not spell level or ability to cast spells), and crown of protection is a 3rd lv transmutation.

edit: illumian is still a good idea for muscle mage duskblade.

Vaz
2013-05-09, 10:26 AM
Bugger. Thought I'd had it cracked.

Heighten, Sanctuary or Earth Spell is the only way I can think of it occuring then.

ZamielVanWeber
2013-05-09, 10:35 AM
Improved Sigil (Krau) actually increases the spell level as long as the spell has a verbal component. It could turn a 3rd level Abjuration into a 4th level Abjuration. (This is one of the methods of sneaking into Geomancer/Mystic Theurge early). Still a little iffy, so ask your DM.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-09, 10:43 AM
ok so muscle mage (or dex mage if you're weird) illumian with improved sigil (krau) on protection from energy, energy aegis, or dispelling touch. he also has to know all but one lv 4 or lower abjuration spells.

Rahdjan
2013-05-10, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The group I play with seems to shy away from DnD (ANY) and so you guys are my only outlet for talking about this stuff.

Kazuel
2013-05-21, 10:08 PM
Sorry for bumping an older thread but I saw something from another post.

Would Versital Spellcaster + Arcane Desciple do the trick?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-22, 12:51 AM
Sorry for bumping an older thread but I saw something from another post.

Would Versital Spellcaster + Arcane Desciple do the trick?

By RAW I believe that would help you qualify earlier, or without illumian, or even earlier without illumian. The best thing i see there is qualifying without illumian because why would you want to qualify earlier than duskblade 13 unless you only go duskblade 3.

Vaz
2013-05-22, 04:57 AM
Truth be told, by RAW there's no requisite Time period on which you'll be able to cast 4th's, and there's no need for it to be different spells either.

However, you still need to know a 4th level spell, which unless you have some way of becoming prepared, and using a spellbook, (or the Versatile Heighten trick like a cleric), is useless for a duskblade.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-05-22, 10:38 PM
With versatile caster you can use two 3rd level spell slot to cast a forth level spell. A every level a duskblade can "learn one additional spell of any level you can cast". A lv9 duskblade with versatile caster and an int of at least 14 has at least two lv 3 spell slots and is able to cast lv 4 spells so they can chose to learn a level 4 spell and qualify for IotSFV earlier.