PDA

View Full Version : Construct betrayal!

Yaitanos
2013-05-09, 02:06 AM
So I keep seeing references for constructs turning against their masters and breaking free and all that, even a class ability that prevents it from happening. But where are the rules for this? I've scoured the DMG, just about every monster manual, and the PHP. Did I miss something or is it in a different book?

Rubik
2013-05-09, 02:08 AM
From the clay golem entry: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm)
Berserk (Ex)

When a clay golem enters combat, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its elemental spirit breaks free and the golem goes berserk. The uncontrolled golem goes on a rampage, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. Once a clay golem goes berserk, no known method can reestablish control.

Yaitanos
2013-05-09, 02:15 AM
Thats it? Thats all it's going on about? REALLY?! And here I was worried.

Rubik
2013-05-09, 02:20 AM
Thats it? Thats all it's going on about? REALLY?! And here I was worried.It's only clay golems in the MMI, but there are probably others elsewhere that do the same thing. Word of advice: never ever make a clay golem.

Also, there's the rod of construct control (Arms & Equipment Guide, p125) that allows you to command mindless constructs around you as if they were yours (no save). Intelligent constructs must make a Will save or be Dominated.

Arcanist
2013-05-09, 03:01 AM
It's only clay golems in the MMI, but there are probably others elsewhere that do the same thing. Word of advice: never ever make a clay golem.

You're right. Just the Clay Golem is a major risk, but The Flesh Golem can also go Berserk, but can be contained. The Alchemic Golem can also go berserk as a Clay Golem. These types of Golems should be used in the front of a dungeon and should be stand alone encounters so that if they do go berserk no serious damage is done to you. (This is just basic dungeon planning for any BBEG so don't go thinking this is "playing smart").

Yaitanos
2013-05-10, 02:11 AM
Also, there's the rod of construct control (Arms & Equipment Guide, p125) that allows you to command mindless constructs around you as if they were yours (no save). Intelligent constructs must make a Will save or be Dominated.

Okay, so in the kingdoms of Kalimar there is a prestige class called Golem Master, and at 9th level it gives the Faithful Creation ability which states: At 9th level the Golem Master's constructs have no chance of breaking free of the Golem Master's control.

Lovely ability really, makes clay golems a little more worth the cost. But would this keep that stupid stick thing from allowing people to steal my army of plushi- I mean war-bots?

kiryoku
2013-05-10, 02:40 AM
That would be up to your DM if hes being generous it would be a yes. If hes being limiting that would be a no. as it does say it stops it from breaking free of your control. it didn't say it just removes berserk.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-10, 06:15 AM
What is this, some kind of holdover from the story of Frankenstein's monster? I guess I've never looked too carefully at golems before.

TuggyNE
2013-05-10, 06:16 AM
Golems have a long history, chiefly in Yiddish lore. So I assume the berserk tendencies come from those stories.

Telonius
2013-05-10, 09:44 AM
What is this, some kind of holdover from the story of Frankenstein's monster? I guess I've never looked too carefully at golems before.

Reversed, actually; Frankenstein was partially inspired by stories of the Golem of Prague.

kiryoku
2013-05-10, 04:12 PM
If your okay with dragon mags. I think one has a feat that gives you a cost to remove the berserk feature from them. Give me a min and I will post it.

Edit: #327 on page 73. One takes off the berserk. One gives it INT. One gives it more arms. All for a set price.