PDA

View Full Version : has your nickname been hijacked?

dehro
2013-05-09, 04:13 AM
google your forum nickname and/or image-search your profile avatar/siggatar, and check if anybody else (besides yourself of course) has used either in another forum or website or..anything.
report the funniest use/misuse of your nickname you find.

if what you find pisses you off or otherwise causes aggro (say you drew your own avatar and dislike anybody else using the image without your knowledge), kindly solve that off the boards and don't start a rant on here to try and find out whoddunit.

apparently there's a game out there (mmorpg I believe) that has a forum dedicated to it on which someone has been using my nickname and siggatar... said forum being, as far as I can tell, in Polish.
this amuses me on account of my grandad being born in Poland but that being the only connection I have to the country or the language.

Zorg
2013-05-09, 04:29 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u40/hellmasker-d/ZorgZF1flv.jpg

Castaras
2013-05-09, 04:44 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/C%C3%A1staras_2.JPG

Damn spanish towns stealing my name. :smallbiggrin:

The_Snark
2013-05-09, 04:52 AM
This Lewis Carroll guy wrote a poem about me once. *nod*

Shhalahr Windrider
2013-05-09, 06:09 AM
I’m unique! :biggrin:

Asta Kask
2013-05-09, 06:15 AM
*snip*

Also by the dutch.

factotum
2013-05-09, 06:34 AM
The problem with using a common English word as a forum nick is that any sort of search I do about it returns so many results I can't check them all--someone else want to look through all 590,000? :smallwink:

Mono Vertigo
2013-05-09, 06:49 AM
Meh. I'm not gonna do the research. I have a very good idea of what the main results are already (several anime and manga characters, and legendary swordsman Miyamoto Musashi who inspired many of the former).
If I have to extend my search to Japanese forums... ooooh boy, I'm impersonating a lot of people. Or they're impersonating me. Whichever amuses you most. :smalltongue:

Savannah
2013-05-09, 08:55 AM
The problem with using a common English word as a forum nick is that any sort of search I do about it returns so many results I can't check them all--someone else want to look through all 590,000? :smallwink:

Sure, if you want to do the 138,000,000 of mine :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-05-09, 09:47 AM
Nope, 's all me, at least when you look for the specific phrase.

zabbarot
2013-05-09, 09:52 AM
Sometimes I almost wish I could pretend all those other zabbarots out there were someone else :| There are downsides to having a unique name, mostly that you loose plausible deniability. My forum name is an easier way to look me up than my real name.

TheEmerged
2013-05-09, 10:02 AM
Hmm, apparently there's a recent Young Adult series in Europe using mine.

dethkruzer
2013-05-09, 10:30 AM
I just found some other sites where i use the same account name, followed by some of my youtube videos, followed by a crapton of youtube videos on which I have commented.

smellie_hippie
2013-05-09, 10:33 AM
images related to my username are not forum friendly due to drug refrences.... and probable nudity.

FinnLassie
2013-05-09, 10:38 AM
I thought I was the only FinnLassie there is, but then I googled it and oh my dear word. There was a Finnish clothing brand named Finn-Lassie. :smallamused: I'm still trying to find a jumper of my size from auction websites and such. They're super rare nowadays as I think they quit manufacturing in the very early 90s when they merged with another Finnish company.
http://www.pivis.fi/WebRoot/vilkas01/Shops/11082010-1125/4F32/5BEF/E485/3D22/631D/0A28/1007/76F6/kuvat060212_128.JPG

SiuiS
2013-05-09, 11:07 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/C%C3%A1staras_2.JPG

Damn spanish towns stealing my name. :smallbiggrin:

My, but you're beautiful! Such sweeping vistas, and that architecture!

I'm a computer design firm, it seems. Totally name theft. Not part f a secret wizard organization to make sentient AI. Nope. Nosiree bob. Nuh uh.

Zorg
2013-05-09, 11:25 AM
images related to my username are not forum friendly due to drug refrences.... and probable nudity.

Yes, but this is for pics/posts that aren't of oneself :smalltongue:

Traab
2013-05-09, 11:31 AM
1. traab

To be greatly superior to all other forms of life.
That person really is traab.
buy traab mugs & shirts

I swear to god guys, that is what popped up on urban dictionary. Its good to know the world is recognizing my sheer awesomeness.

*EDIT* Also, check out traab.com

Krade
2013-05-09, 12:43 PM
I got a Youtube user, apparently there's a krade.com, and several Polish and Czech websites.

It seems my username (that I made up years ago) is already a word in Polish: kradę – kradziesz > kradnę – kradniesz (I am stealing / I steal – you are stealing / you steal)

I guess I'm a thief now...

Marnath
2013-05-09, 12:56 PM
Lots of hits for facebook, photobucket, and a whole lot of other stuff. Apparently Marnath is an actual name, despite the fact that I originally got it out of a random D&D name generator. Also what appears to be a pern fanfiction site. Apparently I'm a bronze pern dragon. :smalltongue:

Drakeburn
2013-05-09, 12:59 PM
Well, there's another Drakeburn on Twitch (and that isn't really me, in case you're wondering), there's another Drakeburn in Realm of the Mad God apparently (also not me, because I never joined any guilds), and there is even some art on deviantart (http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/260054294) named after me.

Creed
2013-05-09, 01:07 PM
A news headline from 2010:

"Gay Prn Actor 'Jason Creed' Busted on Charges of Choking Dog to Death"

Apparently the world has made a jest at my expense!
Aaaand that is the number 1 search result for 'Jason Creed'.

The only other one that's funny is just an odd coincidence, being a character in the 2007 movie 'Diary of the Dead'.

TheWombatOfDoom
2013-05-09, 01:12 PM
I'm the one and only. :smallbiggrin:

Togath
2013-05-09, 01:14 PM
Only google search results were from here, save for a Deviantart account called "Togath"..
Duckduckgo however also gave an account on the forums of some gaming company(Fantasyflightgames)

Temotei
2013-05-09, 01:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4bJl9D3l.jpg

Of course, the rest of the images and results were of Timotei, the shampoo, and of Lucky Star, showcasing the shampoo.

I swear, I got my name in second grade when someone came in to give us our "Japanese names" and she said mine was Temotei.

smellie_hippie
2013-05-09, 02:20 PM
Yes, but this is for pics/posts that aren't of oneself :smalltongue:

THAT'S FUNNY!! :biggrin:

............. :smallconfused:............. :smalleek:

*scrubs inter-webs*

Eldan
2013-05-09, 02:25 PM
Seems to be a Hebrew name, apparently? I didn't know. But number one is a car rental company in Israel and number two is in Hebrew. There's also hotels, a recycling company and a law firm. Almost 900'000 total.

Krade
2013-05-09, 02:32 PM
The first page of image results on Google brings up three pictures of me from GenCon '07 and my avatar. Plus a bunch of random other stuff that I don't understand how they are related. Of course, a lot of it's in Polish (due to being almost a polish word).

dehro
2013-05-09, 02:51 PM
A news headline from 2010:

"Gay Prn Actor 'Jason Creed' Busted on Charges of Choking Dog to Death"

you may have won this thread, lol...

OverdrivePrime
2013-05-09, 03:02 PM
There seems to be one other person who occasionally uses my call sign, but very infrequently. It's registered on a site called Mochigames and some other games site, I think.

Unfortunately if you run an image search of my handle, all the terrible pictures are of me, or related to forums I post on or have posted on in the past.

LaZodiac
2013-05-09, 03:03 PM
Every result website wise for mine is mine, except for the Reddit one.

Picture wise, first few results is of some goddess with the zodiac symbols around her head, my name in "Gallifreyan" and then two drawings by me like, years ago that I forgot I did.

So basically boring stuff :smalltongue:

JoshL
2013-05-09, 03:07 PM
Yes, but mostly by other people with the first name Josh and a last name beginning with L, so I have no complaints there! Actually, JoshL leads to a pretty decent random selection on google images (http://images.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=619&q=JoshL&oq=JoshL&gs_l=img.3...1061.1966.0.2262.5.5.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0 ...0.0...1ac.1.12.img.DBONbQV8uww), but it takes a while before you get to me!

I once had a synthpop band named after a dragon from Record of Lodoss war. When I was using that as a forum nickname, it was shared by a furry artist and the National Association of Retired Sears Employees.

Mauve Shirt
2013-05-09, 03:12 PM
First link, the TV Tropes page I got the name from in the first place.
Second and third links are both me.
*scroll scroll scroll*
Purchase a mauve shirt at a variety of vendors.
*scroll scroll scroll*
Someone wrote a pretentious story about a mauve shirt.

There's several pictures of me on the Image page, real life me as well as my Mauve avatar and some of my stick figure art.

ALL ABOUT ME!

Wow. It's kind of interesting. I've been clicking through the images to get to various Giant in the Playground threads. SO MANY PEOPLE WHO NO LONGER POST. SO MANY MEMORIES.

KuReshtin
2013-05-09, 03:22 PM
It seems as if me starting a few of the You! threads on here causes image searches for my user name to return loads of pictures of other forumers, like Kiero, Nameless, Cynical Avocado and others.

Regular word searches brings back only results pointing at me.

Edit: Oh, and the first picture returned when searching for my name is a picture of my handprint on a back. Fatslap FTW.

TaiLiu
2013-05-09, 04:17 PM
Surprisingly, yes; most notably, a well acclaimed professor by the name of Tai Liu. (Interestingly, his birth date and death date are very similar to my grandmother's.)

Eldan
2013-05-09, 04:28 PM
Images, right. The first one is a cello player named Amir Eldan. Then tons of pictures from a company named Eldan Recycling in Denmark, mostly various machines. A few more companies by that name. The only interesting thing seems to be a race of creatures named the Eldan from a game called Wildstar.

thubby
2013-05-09, 04:33 PM
mine is unique so far as i can tell. which surprises me given how simple it is.

Silverbit
2013-05-09, 04:45 PM
I get a stable in America from my name, and if I search images, horses, houses and MLP:FiM. Which is odd.

The name actually comes from Silver Bit ferrets (I have one), but you get lots of silver horse mouth things if you search that.

Gamerlord
2013-05-09, 04:51 PM
Mine are pretty dull compared to the rest of you, it's all either actually me, some dude's Minecraft Let's Play, or a twitter account belonging to a "GaMeRlOrD" with horrible spelling. :smalleek: Most of the images are stuff I have linked from/to this board.
EDIT: Oh, and a facebook account that seems to be nothing but pictures of the box art of video games.
EDIT2: Oh, and a really cringe-y OkCupid account belonging to some dude in Seattle. Why does everyone who shares my name seem like an eight year old? :smallsigh:

Starwulf
2013-05-09, 04:58 PM
Some guy who plays League of Legends, and surprisingly, a company that started up in 2003 called Starwulf Enterprises. Sigh...damn name stealers...

Krade
2013-05-09, 05:06 PM
Some guy who plays League of Legends, and surprisingly, a company that started up in 2003 called Starwulf Enterprises. Sigh...damn name stealers...

Hey! At least your name isn't actually a conjugation of the actual word for 'steal' in Polish.

Dimonite
2013-05-09, 05:08 PM
Apparently I'm a fancy brand of pens.

http://parkerpens.net/bilder_pennor/dimonite/dimonite-all.jpg

Although if I type my username in quotes into the image search, pictures of me actually do occur on the first page, so it's not a very common thing.

celtois
2013-05-09, 08:23 PM
Someone has a youtube account under this account name that isn't me.

Other than that, everyone/thing seems to be me/mine.
Apparently a lot of people have the last name Celto though, as there were a few results that were for Celto is .... or Celto.is neither of which is really a hijack.

I'm pleased that I seem to be unique, I mean I did make up the word when I was six. Its nice to be able to call it mine. :smallbiggrin:

enderlord99
2013-05-09, 08:54 PM
Including the number? I'm unique (I've commented on Youtube a lot but have never made a video (yet)).

Without the number? Tons of people (mostly on Youtube) and one mod (for Minecraft, of course).

Marillion
2013-05-09, 09:02 PM
I am both a minor character in A Game of Thrones and a fairly awesome English rock band (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLen1_2qTg).

Remmirath
2013-05-09, 10:36 PM
Not surprisingly, most of the links for mine refer to the same reason I used it (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Remmirath).

Apparently there is also an experimental black metal band from Slovakia (apparently previously known as Helcaraxë, which makes more sense to me for black metal, so I wonder why they changed it). That's the most of the images. Well, the ones that aren't stars. I now am somewhat curious what the music is like...

Then there's apparently an 'Armour of Remmirath' set of armour in Lord of the Rings Online.

Some of the things on the second page of images are to do with me, and the second page of links turns up my Steam account and a couple links to posts here, but it's mostly not me. I didn't notice anybody else using it as a username, though, but if I'd gone farther I probably would've.

Gadora
2013-05-09, 11:10 PM
I seem to be quite an elegant lamp (http://www.luciitaliane.com/en/evi-style-en/gadora-en.html).

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-05-10, 02:14 AM
My name is a borderline gibberish, psuedo-Finnish phrase I learned from some drunk Danes in Iceland. Suffice it to say nobody has copied it.

My buddy Vacant, on the other hand, has had his identity stolen by anyone with the audacity to use the common word which was derived from his name so many years ago.

AshesOfOld
2013-05-10, 03:00 AM
Huh, there's an american youtuber, whose only activity on youtube since 2010 is to favorite the Bed Intruder - Death Metal Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JevYrLks-3o&list=FL1rXIlGLqdPub0jYUiMqSJg).

He also has a metal radio station on myspace.

Other than that, a lot of me, and a song reference: Ashes of Old Love, plus a book, Ashes of Old Wishes.

AdmiralCheez
2013-05-11, 12:46 AM
My primary internet moniker, AdmiralCheez, seems to be shared with only one other person, who is apparently a huge Mass Effect fangirl. Case in point, an image search for that name yields my forum avatar, a few pictures I took years ago, and the rest is all Mass Effect. I've never even played that game.

This name looks like it only belongs to me, but sadly isn't all that interesting.

Comrade
2013-05-11, 12:52 AM
I haven't looked it up, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 'yes'.

Kindablue
2013-05-11, 01:06 AM
I seem to be quite an elegant lamp (http://www.luciitaliane.com/en/evi-style-en/gadora-en.html).

It looks like a jellyfish you can buy from Skymall; elegance furniturized.

Lauren
2013-05-11, 01:09 AM
There are doubtless millions of hits for 'Lauren', so I didn't bother, but 'notalwaysweak' appears to be all me, and GIS returns some of my stuff on dA and Photobucket.

Elemental
2013-05-11, 03:15 AM
Hmm... I checked Elemental and apparently, some company that sells antiques and vintage furniture has appropriated my name! And what's worse, is that they had a very nice art deco mirror for sale, and someone's already bought it!

Checking my Deviant Art username, AetherElemental, seems to either lead back to me, pictures I've favourited or commented on or a magic card that bears the same name.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-05-11, 03:39 AM
Diego Havoc. The one. The only. Accept no substitutes.

Unless you search without quotes, in which case you will find plenty of news reports about havoc in San Diego.

Anarion
2013-05-11, 09:30 AM
Apparently JRR Tolkien ripped off* my name. The nerve!

*and by ripped off, I mean invented first and inspired me to steal from.

WarBrute
2013-05-11, 09:50 AM
The history channel loves me.

http://shop.history.com/img/product/resized/482/00345725-729482_catl_500.jpg?k=cf77ec34&pid=345725&s=catl&sn=history

Apparently they made a movie about "Weapons at" me during something call "Force WWII"

Jarawara
2013-05-11, 10:11 AM
An entire Brazilian tribe goes by my name. They are actually the "Jarawa", but they are collectively known as the Jarawara, and speak the language of the same name. There's only 218 of them left, so if I hold out long enough, I'll have this name to myself again.

I had found this out earlier when I was looking for references to myself on the web. I had no idea my name was the same as this tribe. I just put some letters together to make a name. Apparently so did they...

Riverdance
2013-05-11, 08:01 PM
Mine appears to be largely unused except by some guy on another rpg forum who never uses his account. My avatar is unique, although this is what comes up in "similar images"
http://static.svetkocikov.sk/4284-large/gesslein-f6-i-snoopy.jpg

Cuthalion
2013-05-12, 08:09 AM
This guy J.R.R. Tolkien (Have you ever heard of him?) wrote a book in which he used my username. What a ripoff! :smalltongue:

Pie Guy
2013-05-14, 04:47 PM
Someone's been talking about me on Runescape as if I've been playing recently, but I haven't touched the game for at least 6 years.

And Qwazes (my now-used nickname) is such a weird name, I'm worried.

Edit: actually, it seems to be about Starcraft, which I've been in more recently. Still worried.

Double Edit: and an adult personals site of a 49 year old guy who's looking for sex. He is also married.

Loki_42
2013-05-14, 06:35 PM
Loki42.jpg (http://www.danielkphoto.com/galleries/shows/shows2006/loki_8_24_06/image42.html)

But mostly it's me, and a couple of other people who never sign up to anything.

Logic
2013-05-14, 11:09 PM
My nickname here is not unique. 209,000,000 results on Google.

Now, my usual handle for the rest of the internet?

My YouTube channel (no videos, just subscriptions [mostly of cats]), my Fallout Wiki page, My Dragon Age wiki page, my (very out of date) POF profile, my X-Box gamertag page, my DeviantArt page (nothing particularly good) my Escapist profile, and my Steam profile.

I would say my name [Withheld] is pretty unique.:smallwink:

Socratov
2013-05-16, 06:52 AM
Here's one (https://twitter.com/socratov) (for the record: this is not me)
and just about the second page of my google search. The rest is correct though...

Morbis Meh
2013-05-16, 10:48 AM
As far as i can tell there are numerous Morbisies but only one MORBIS MEH... the image search yields my avatar images, a few picutres of characters I have used in previous games so nothing that I have not in some way been involved in... I am a unique snowflake :smallbiggrin:

Deathkeeper
2013-05-16, 10:55 AM
When I search my name I get all my own accounts, so yeah, I'm unique.

Eldest
2013-05-16, 05:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e0/Eldest_book_cover.png/200px-Eldest_book_cover.png
Some smuck named his book after me!

Callin
2013-05-23, 08:40 PM
Nothing New or Special Here. Though I do have this for Star Wars the Old Republic, and Guild Wars (full name) and Guild Wars 2.

My other name is also not original though I thought I was being pretty funny with it. Stonedknight.

I did find my first WoW toon... that was kinda cool. Man that brings back some hurtful memories.... :smallfrown:

Hiro Protagonest
2013-05-23, 08:54 PM
I think people had my name before I did. I know there's some guy in some game (I think it's a MOBA) that uses my name, since someone thought it was me when I used this name on another forum. It also said that both versions of Jade Dragon I tried on Deviantart were taken, so I used my Steam name on there (as I plan to do with most forums, I just used this name on the one so playgrounders there would recognize me).

Duck999
2013-05-23, 09:03 PM
Fanfiction writer, minecraft server whitelist app, numerous minecraft websites, wait no, that's me.

These are not me:
Deviant art account with no art
something that has to do with walking dead
In a youtube video description, from an unknown user
Roblox account (which I despise)
Then some random accounf names.