PDA

View Full Version : AC to hit a thrown Flask ofAlchemist fire?

Balor01
2013-05-09, 09:20 AM
A throws a flask of Alchemist fire toward a target, B has readied action to intercept it with an arrow. What sort of AC should he hit in order to detonate the flask before it hits target?

Also, what are some decent mundane protections from Alchemist fire except perhaps, wet rags? My PCs are bombing my NPCs with alchemist fire a lot lately.

thanks

DeltaEmil
2013-05-09, 09:28 AM
I would give it an AC of 10 (base) + the Dexterity modifier of the one who has thrown it (because it's an object in motion) + the size modifier of the alchemist fire flask, which ought to be diminutive, so probably a +4.

In total, 14 + Opponent's Dexterity modifier.

It's a low AC, but that's okay, because the opponent who readies his or her action to intercept the alchemist fire flask is just wasting his or her action, doing nothing.

Telonius
2013-05-09, 09:53 AM
That sounds about right to me.

Though I do wonder where the impact would occur. It's a splash weapon, so that would matter.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-05-09, 10:34 AM
Explodes in the air if enough damage is done to the container? Spins off in a random direction otherwise.

Telonius
2013-05-09, 11:38 AM
Explodes in the air if enough damage is done to the container? Spins off in a random direction otherwise.

But where in the air? Right after the thrower releases it? Halfway to the intended target? Some amount of distance based on the speed or range increment? (I always hated those "train going from New York to Chicago" problems...)

Neo Tin Robo
2013-05-09, 11:52 AM
Either the interceptor's choice (they decided when to ready their action), or a random direction/distance from the intended target of the throw.

But if you're gonna ready an action, why not make it when they draw the flask and shatter it in their hand? :smallamused:

Ashtagon
2013-05-09, 11:56 AM
I would give it an AC of 10 (base) + the Dexterity modifier of the one who has thrown it (because it's an object in motion) + the size modifier of the alchemist fire flask, which ought to be diminutive, so probably a +4.

In total, 14 + Opponent's Dexterity modifier.

It's a low AC, but that's okay, because the opponent who readies his or her action to intercept the alchemist fire flask is just wasting his or her action, doing nothing.

I'd say a flask is Fine (about 4.5"), so AC 18 + thrower's Dexterity, by your logic.

On a hit, I'd say roll 1d100, and that's the percentage of distance between the thrower and the target that the flask travelled. Don't forget to make the thrower's attack roll, just in case the target is off-course, as per grenade-like missiles.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-09, 12:40 PM
I'd rather put it at at the upper ends of diminutive, since that size is used for critters that are small enough to be held in one hand, but not too small, like spiders, centipedes, locusts, wasps, bat and so on.

Fine seems rather to be the size of a fly, or anything similar equal to a thumb, making it too small in my mind for an object that you use like a fantasy-grenade.

Ashtagon
2013-05-09, 01:00 PM
I'd rather put it at at the upper ends of diminutive, since that size is used for critters that are small enough to be held in one hand, but not too small, like spiders, centipedes, locusts, wasps, bat and so on.

Fine seems rather to be the size of a fly, or anything similar equal to a thumb, making it too small in my mind for an object that you use like a fantasy-grenade.

Nope. RAW says each size class step is a doubling/halving of size. The d20 SRD explicitly notes the length values associated with each size class.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#bigandLittleCreatu resInCombat

The upper end of Diminutive would be, for example, an extra-large wine bottle ( say, a jeroboam, one of those with the funky names from traditional French nomenclature (http://www.wineloverspage.com/questionary2/big_bottles_what_are_their_nam.php)).