PDA

View Full Version : CONVERSION: Classic WoD Werewolf Character into 2nd Edition Mutants and Masterminds?

PangolinPie
2013-05-09, 10:11 AM
So I have this player who's a HUGE fan of the Werewolf mythos and became particularly fond of the Old World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse system in the way they set up the various alternate forms:

Homid, which appears to be a normal human
Glabro, which resembles roughly a human, but has too many bestial features on it to be one.
Crinos, the War-Form, which is a terryfing hybrid of both human and wolf
Hispo, which takes the shape of prehistoric dire wolf
Lupus, which is indestinguishable from a normal wolf

However...he never got a chance to play in such a game and no one has any interest in running a Classic WoD campaign any time soon. I however am running a Steampunk Mutants & Masterminds campaign inspired by the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the comic moreso than the movie) and given the old world setting and source material, I told him he could play a werewolf.

Now how would I go about building the 5-form Werewolf in M&M2? I was thinking just have him spend his points (starting at 8th level) as if he was building only his full werewolf form but leave enough left over for ranks in Shapeshift with a few flaws attached.

But how many ranks in Transform and what flaws would be sufficient given that all his alternate forms are significantly less powerful than his full werewolf shape? Only thing I know is that it'll take a half action to shift from one level in the chain to the next, meaning he'd have to take a full action to shift from either his full wolf or full human into his full werewolf shape in one round.

His idea is to play a werewolf "mutt" in which his father was a werewolf and mother was a random stray dog resulting in a personality inspired by Dug from the movie "Up"...so dumb as a brick and will most likely be spending most of his downtime in his dog/wolf shape rather than human.

Beleriphon
2013-05-12, 12:55 PM
So I have this player who's a HUGE fan of the Werewolf mythos and became particularly fond of the Old World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse system in the way they set up the various alternate forms:

[snip]

Now how would I go about building the 5-form Werewolf in M&M2? I was thinking just have him spend his points (starting at 8th level) as if he was building only his full werewolf form but leave enough left over for ranks in Shapeshift with a few flaws attached.

But how many ranks in Transform and what flaws would be sufficient given that all his alternate forms are significantly less powerful than his full werewolf shape? Only thing I know is that it'll take a half action to shift from one level in the chain to the next, meaning he'd have to take a full action to shift from either his full wolf or full human into his full werewolf shape in one round.

You have a few choices. I assume that you want to have each of the five different settings be the same every time they get used. If that's the case you can use Morph with Metamorph. That functionally allows you have to a bunch of separate character sheets for each form. The other option is to make each setting of powers (I'm assuming its mostly an issue of toughness and strength scores?) as a series of alternate powers or groupings of powers (if you have Ultimate Power check out the Container power grouping option).

tensai_oni
2013-05-12, 01:58 PM
Shapeshift is for people who don't have "set" forms they can change into. If he could shift his shape into any animal instead, that would be suitable for him.

You had a good idea in statting him as a Crinos, since that's the most powerful form points-wise. Other than that, just make him buy the Morph power with 4 Metamorph feats, for four alternate forms. Then just stat Homid, Glabro, Hispo and Lupus seperately.

Morph is really cheap power-wise since you'll be using the 1 PP/rank variant, and I don't see a need for more than 3-4 ranks - maybe even less, if you don't mind people seeing through the disguise easily. Extras-wise, it is very important to change the duration from Sustained to Continous, otherwise your wolf guy will switch back to the default shape if unconscious or stunned. You can also buy the action (free to move action) flaw if you want to make it cheaper or think it fits the flavour.

Dogbert
2013-05-23, 03:21 AM
If you're using 2E:

-Werewolf forms are fixed, so portray them as a power array (after all, only one at a time can be active). Make either Crinos or Hispo the base one as it's likely to be the most expensive. Charms can be their own separate array.

If you're using 3E:

-Morph 1 (LINKED with additional powers). Metamorph x3.

I hope that helps.