PDA

View Full Version : Sims 4 will NOT be online only

Avilan the Grey
2013-05-09, 11:59 AM
According to the Sims Hub FAQ (http://www.thesimshub.com/2013/05/the-sims-4-official-qa/), Sims 4 will NOT be Online Only. Have EA learned something?

Divayth Fyr
2013-05-09, 12:33 PM
Have EA learned something?
Is it even possible?

Avilan the Grey
2013-05-09, 12:35 PM
Is it even possible?

Sure. Electrocute a monster enough times and it will stop grabbing the power lines. Or something.

Grinner
2013-05-09, 02:43 PM
Bah. They're liars.

The Sims 3 was also supposed to go under a similar DRM scheme (i.e. CD key only). Several patches later, and I'm staring at a giant, golden link to the Sims 3 online store. How is that an offline experience?

Then, putting icing on the cake, the one expansion I wanted required an Origin account.

EA keeps screaming about how they're going to go DRM-free (more or less), but they seem never to stick to those sentiments for more than one or two releases. They're the most bipolar bunch of profiteers ever.

JadedDM
2013-05-09, 02:53 PM
EA frequently attempts to redefine the term DRM. Remember, as far as they are concerned, the always-online aspect of SimCity wasn't DRM, it was an online feature!

Anyway, I'm actually really excited about the Sims 4. I don't have any intention of playing it, mind you. I'm just excited because I can't wait to see what kind of PR trainwreck it causes. Come on, EA! Let's see you top the SimCity fiasco!

TamerBill
2013-05-09, 04:01 PM
Bah. They're liars.

The Sims 3 was also supposed to go under a similar DRM scheme (i.e. CD key only). Several patches later, and I'm staring at a giant, golden link to the Sims 3 online store. How is that an offline experience?

Then, putting icing on the cake, the one expansion I wanted required an Origin account.

I'm... pretty sure this isn't true? All the expansions had disc releases, and the launcher has no actual connection to Origin. A link to the store's not DRM, it's advertising. Just don't click it.

Grinner
2013-05-09, 04:16 PM
I'm... pretty sure this isn't true? All the expansions had disc releases, and the launcher has no actual connection to Origin. A link to the store's not DRM, it's advertising. Just don't click it.

Every version of The Sims 3: Supernatural I saw listed an Origin account and an Internet connection as requirements. Even the main website (www.thesims.com/en_US/the-sims-3-supernatural).

And you know, there's a reason why I use AdBlock. I especially dislike the idea of paying to be advertised at.

TamerBill
2013-05-09, 04:31 PM
Every version of The Sims 3: Supernatural I saw listed an Origin account and an Internet connection as requirements. Even the main website (www.thesims.com/en_US/the-sims-3-supernatural).

Nope, sorry, not true. The only thing on that page that even mentions Origin is the terms and conditions for the download copy of the game. You know, the digital distribution version they're selling through their digital distribution service. The disc versions require only a CD key and a disc-in-drive, whatever the expansion.

Squark
2013-05-09, 04:54 PM
I believe that, for a while at least, Origin was required for patching. They seem to have realized that was a mistake, though, as that wasn't the case when they released the latest patch, if memory serves.

Also, the store links go away when you're not connected to the internet, for the most part.

Plus, the connection's not permanently required even for the download- I can access all the online features of TS3 with origin shut off. I'd only need it if I felt the desire to buy an expansion pack off it, and even then, I could turn it on for an hour or two, let the game download, and then shut the program off.

TamerBill
2013-05-09, 05:00 PM
I believe that, for a while at least, Origin was required for patching.

I don't think so, since they have the Sims 3 Launcher for that. I know I've never patched the game through Origin.

Squark
2013-05-09, 05:03 PM
It was a few years ago, and it's quite possible I misread what the instructions said. Like I said, I know they don't require that anymore.

EDIT: Checked the site; I think an origin acount is required for registering the game, but then, everyone of EA's services that I know of uses the same acount, so I'd have an Origin acount even if my only contact with EA had been activating the cerberus network code in my Xbox copy of ME2.

JadedDM
2013-05-09, 06:51 PM
I had heard Origin was required for any new expansion pack after September of 2012. But now that I try and look it up, I'm getting conflicting information. Some sources say yes, it is required, others say no, only if you download it.

Can someone possibly provide some reputable sources to which is true? Because recently my girlfriend wanted to play one of the new EPs (I think it was Seasons) but the game won't run on her PC, only mine. And I told her there was no way I would allow Origin to touch my computer. But if Origin is truly not required, that changes things quite a bit.

Avilan the Grey
2013-05-10, 01:57 AM
I think what happened is that Origin is not required as much as Steam is no longer possible to use. The original game and the first expansions can be bought on Steam, but from mid 2012 no EA games (new ones) are aviable on Steam, making Origin mandatory as download source for the newer expansions (physical copies do not require origin other than for downloading and if you want to use the online features, like excanging artist sims in showtime).

Squark
2013-05-11, 12:41 AM
Actually... EA is still releasing Expansion packs for steam copies of TS3, strangely enough. Also, at least some of the online features will function without Origin. Not sure exactly what does and what doesn't, though.

Castaras
2013-05-13, 05:47 AM
EA released a load of packs on steam all at once, I'm guessing after they stopped having their argument with Valve.

Lamech
2013-05-13, 02:57 PM
I would be pre-ordering it if not for the simcity screw up. I'll probably still buy it eventually. Although with how nice sims 3 is with all the expansions it might be a while...

horngeek
2013-05-16, 10:26 PM
If they fix the bloody 102 save issues, I might give it a try.