PDA

View Full Version : odd blink dog as a mount idea

CyberThread
2013-05-09, 03:24 PM
I googled this...

The majority of thought is that, a rider can not use a blink dog as a mount, to teleport everywhere.

So i did some research..

Then I did some more research.

Besides a ring of blinking, I think I may have found something.

PRC HellBreaker from codex II

Stowaway (Su): From 4th level on, you can hitch a ride on a conjuration (teleportation) spell or spell-like ability cast or used within 30 feet of you. If the target is unwilling, you must succeed on a level check with a DC of 10 + the caster level of the effect as an immediate action. If the target is willing, this ability functions automatically. When the spell is cast, you appear wherever the caster appears, in the same position you were at the time of the spell's casting. If this would force you to appear in a solid object, you appear in the nearest open available space. If the conjuration spell has variable results, such as teleport, you suffer the same effect as the caster.

I know it is not much, and the build would be weird, but I thought it should be brought up.

soveliss24
2013-05-09, 03:28 PM
Blink is a Transmutation. You can Stowaway on their Dimension Door, but would not be carried with the mount when it Blinked.

CyberThread
2013-05-09, 11:30 PM
arrgg hmm...so wait ring of blinking would solve that no?

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-09, 11:36 PM
Regular blinking is supposed to be kinda random. I would rule that you need greater blinking for it to work.

soveliss24
2013-05-09, 11:56 PM
I hadn't actually heard of Greater Blinking, but I think Silva's right upon a cursory reading. Even if it's not quite RAW, I'd let a player use it to ride a Blink Dog for Rule of Cool.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-05-10, 04:33 AM
Arms and Equipment guide has this to say:

If a blink dog’s rider wears a ring of blinking, the dog and ring attune to each other through a sympathetic magical effect so that dog and rider blink in unison. No effect has been discovered that allows a blink dog to teleport with its rider using dimension door

So not very helpful there.

Eslin
2013-05-10, 08:32 AM
That's incredibly helpful. 3.0 is still legal, so it's RAW and RAI that someone can ride a blink dog with a ring of blinking, and if you combine that with hellbreaker you can both blink and teleport in unison.

soveliss24
2013-05-10, 09:45 AM
Indeed. I even own the Arms and Equipment Guide, but I didn't think to check there. Good catch, supermonkeyjoe. Hellbreaker + Ring of Blinking is the solution.

GutterFace
2013-05-10, 10:28 AM
You could always Shape Soulmeld and Open Chakra and get a Blink Shirt :)

CyberThread
2013-05-10, 11:48 PM
I did think it was an awesome find :), even if unweidly .