PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/PF- first or second level spell for a sorcerer

Spuddles
2013-05-09, 05:57 PM
If you could add ANY 1st or 2nd level spell known, from any non-wizard/sorc list, what would it be and why?

We have a druid & (cg) cleric in the party.

I have to pay the price of the spell if it appears at a higher level, so picking up a 1st level arcane eye (for instance) would do me no good.

See page of spell knowledge for more details.

Anyway, I want to UMD them so I can gain access to other spell lists, but can only afford 4k worth (1st or 2nd level).

Fire away!

rollforeigninit
2013-05-09, 06:10 PM
BIG question real quick---- Is this PF only?

Spuddles
2013-05-09, 06:13 PM
BIG question real quick---- Is this PF only?

Both. Where rules diverge, refer to PF. So grease sucks, identify got a lot cheaper, etc.

rollforeigninit
2013-05-09, 06:21 PM
Okay then.. that's what we play so no issue there.
Open your Dungeonscape book to pg.54.
1st level spells, (you can pick 4)

Arcane Sight- meh but normally a 3rd

Clairaudience/Clairvoyance- Now your 1st level spells can avoid whole encounters.

Dispel Magic- It's a caster level check no saves :) awesome power for a 1st.

Haste- WAHOO!!!! I know you can get these as a normal sorc but damn if it doesn't feel good to burn 1st level slots on useful stuff.

Protection from Energy- If ya don't feel like Arcane Sight it's be a solid protection for a 1st level spell.

Also might want to take Lesser Vigor (Druid 1) and/ Or Lesser Restoration (Paladin 1) for a nice economical backup heal sometime.

rollforeigninit
2013-05-09, 06:24 PM
I take it we are ignoring the "if it appears on their spell list" part of the Page of Spell Knowledge description?

Spuddles
2013-05-09, 06:34 PM
Okay then.. that's what we play so no issue there.
Open your Dungeonscape book to pg.54.
1st level spells, (you can pick 4)

Arcane Sight- meh but normally a 3rd

Clairaudience/Clairvoyance- Now your 1st level spells can avoid whole encounters.

Dispel Magic- It's a caster level check no saves :) awesome power for a 1st.

Haste- WAHOO!!!! I know you can get these as a normal sorc but damn if it doesn't feel good to burn 1st level slots on useful stuff.

Protection from Energy- If ya don't feel like Arcane Sight it's be a solid protection for a 1st level spell.

Also might want to take Lesser Vigor (Druid 1) and/ Or Lesser Restoration (Paladin 1) for a nice economical backup heal sometime.

Gold is harder to come by than spell slots. So really only lesser restoration seems worthwhile. Reread OP please.

I take it we are ignoring the "if it appears on their spell list" part of the Page of Spell Knowledge description?

Use Magic Device.

rollforeigninit
2013-05-09, 06:40 PM
My bad. Lesser Resto would be out too then. it's Cleric/Druid 2. There's a reason why Sorc/Wizard spells are considered the best. If you are buffing then Sanctuary might be decent....

Spuddles
2013-05-09, 07:13 PM
I honestly can't find anything worthwhile. Goodberry or lesser vigor, maybe. Goodberry lets me turn open slots into food/heals on down time, which is useful.

Urpriest
2013-05-09, 07:17 PM
If you could add ANY 1st or 2nd level spell known, from any non-wizard/sorc list, what would it be and why?

We have a druid & (cg) cleric in the party.

I have to pay the price of the spell if it appears at a higher level, so picking up a 1st level arcane eye (for instance) would do me no good.

See page of spell knowledge for more details.

Anyway, I want to UMD them so I can gain access to other spell lists, but can only afford 4k worth (1st or 2nd level).

Fire away!

If it appears on any list at higher level, or if it appears on your list at higher level? The former seems pretty silly, lots of domains have spells listed at a higher level than most classes get them.

Spuddles
2013-05-09, 07:44 PM
If it appears on any list at higher level, or if it appears on your list at higher level? The former seems pretty silly, lots of domains have spells listed at a higher level than most classes get them.

I should have been more clear.

"This page is covered in densely-worded arcane or divine magical runes. It contains the knowledge of a single arcane or divine spell (chosen by the creator when the item is crafted). If the bearer is a spontaneous spellcaster and has that spell on her class spell list, she may use her spell slots to cast that spell as if it were one of her spells known. A page of spell knowledge is priced based on the spell's cleric or sorcerer/wizard spell level, unless the spell doesn't appear on either of those spell lists, in which case it is based on the highest spell level as it appears on any other spell list. For example, a spell that is on the 4th-level inquisitor list and the 2nd-level paladin list is priced as a 4th-level spell."

from here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/page-of-spell-knowledge