PDA

View Full Version : How to start a sandbox campaign

00dlez
2013-05-09, 09:01 PM
http://tao-dnd.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-opening-module.html

The above is a blog post that I read that I thought deserve to be shared. I love sandboxes with no strict agenda - this is a great way to start them and set the right tone.

Totally Guy
2013-05-10, 03:30 AM
That's a pretty good speech. I don't like that the characters would be free of setting ties to that degree, I really like being oppressed by a character's background in some way.

It's part of the conversation I'd have before the game so we could choose the game that's best support the concepts that we prioritise.

Amphetryon
2013-05-10, 09:33 AM
http://tao-dnd.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-opening-module.html

The above is a blog post that I read that I thought deserve to be shared. I love sandboxes with no strict agenda - this is a great way to start them and set the right tone.

And, four hours later, the group is still undecided and debating amongst themselves, as it's time to wrap up the session.

. . . at least, that's been my experience more than once.

JusticeZero
2013-05-10, 02:42 PM
My recipe is to hurl them into a pit lined with poorly defined hooks, then start writing based on whatever they grab.

TheThan
2013-05-10, 06:45 PM
TheThan’s guide to running a sandbox game: the abridged version

Part one: the world
It’s important that you have a richly detailed world at your disposal for your characters to explore (that’s the point). If you don’t then you’ll be stuck coming up with blanks when the players decide to go west when you thought they were going to go east. You can build this setting from scratch or just borrow a preexisting one (Forgotten realms, iron kingdoms, Ebberon, star wars universe etc).

Part two: the NPCs
Have a group of NPCs handy for when the players encounter people. They need not be highly detailed yet. But they need to have a basic role in society and a basic personality. Make sure to catalog who you used when and where as well as any important information relevant to them.

Part three: the player characters
Each player has to have a backstory that the Dm can use to drop plot hooks and get the players interested in the goings on in the world. Bob the fighter simply doesn’t cut the mustard, but Lord Roberto Santiago of España does. Additionally the players have to be invested and interested in their characters and the stories they are trying to form. This means some types of players aren’t suited for sandbox playing.

Part four: the beginning
In my honest opinion the best way to start off a sandbox game is to give the players a short opening quest. Something they need to accomplish, such as acquiring their ship in a sea voyaging (or space) game. This quest needs to be something to tie the party together and give them a reason to adventure together. Once they accomplish this mission, they are free to explore the sandbox world.

Part five: the log
Have one of your players write out a campaign log. In fact, convince them to write it out in character as an actual log. THis helps the players get immersed in the game, and into their characters. This helps you as the DM keep track of what’s going in the plot, but also where they’ve been, who they’ve met, what sort of items they may have etc. this is a backup to your DM’s log just in case You missed something.