PDA

View Full Version : Help making this item

tim01300
2013-05-09, 09:30 PM
One of my players wants to have a quarterstaff that casts entangle each time it strikes an enemy, or has a percentage to cast it. Not an item with charges or spell storing, just that's its ability.

How does this work cost wise figure out how much to charge him?

Gildedragon
2013-05-09, 09:56 PM
So a use activated (which is x2000gp) level 1 spell at minimum caster level?
That's about 2000 gp per side of quarterstaff by srd guidelines.
Less if you add some restrictions.
Now the reflex save would be 11. to boost it boost the price accordingly

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-09, 11:57 PM
Uh... wouldn't it just be better to cast entangling staff on it?

If not, then I guess that either entangle or entangling staff could be used as a basis. My guess is something of that power (at-will, infinite no charges no action) would be of what the previous poster said (+2000) although I'd say that a power like that would probably be more of a +1 or +2 weapon enhancement. That seems to be more in terms with the power of the +1 and +2 weapons.

Matticussama
2013-05-10, 02:18 AM
So a use activated (which is x2000gp) level 1 spell at minimum caster level?
That's about 2000 gp per side of quarterstaff by srd guidelines.
Less if you add some restrictions.
Now the reflex save would be 11. to boost it boost the price accordingly

It would be 4,000; since Entangle only has a duration of 1 minute/level, you multiply the cost by 2. Other than that, though, that is probably the best way of having a chance on every hit.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-05-10, 02:26 AM
It would be 4,000; since Entangle only has a duration of 1 minute/level, you multiply the cost by 2. Other than that, though, that is probably the best way of having a chance on every hit.

"If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2...."

Do note however that the minimum caster level of an item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel) is that which is needed to meet its prerequisites. A given magic weapon will have Craft Magic Arms/Armor as a prerequisite, which requires a caster level of 5th, so the minimum caster level for a custom magic weapon is also 5th. That means spell level 1 x caster level 5 x 2,000 gp = 10,000 gp minimum, in addition to the minimum +1 enhancement of the weapon.

ahenobarbi
2013-05-10, 02:34 AM
"If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2...."

Do note however that the minimum caster level of an item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel) is that which is needed to meet its prerequisites. A given magic weapon will have Craft Magic Arms/Armor as a prerequisite, which requires a caster level of 5th, so the minimum caster level for a custom magic weapon is also 5th. That means spell level 1 x caster level 5 x 2,000 gp = 10,000 gp minimum, in addition to the minimum +1 enhancement of the weapon.

Not true. +1 weapon has caster level 3 (3 * enhancement bonus), demonstrating that it is possible to create magic weapons with caster level lower than 5 (required to take the feat). (source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm)).

SilverLeaf167
2013-05-10, 03:47 AM
Casting Entangle in melee range might not be such an awesome idea. :smallamused:

MrLemon
2013-05-10, 04:36 AM
Uh... wouldn't it just be better to cast entangling staff on it?
Exactly!
Entangle just does not do what is intended with this item.
What was requested was a continuous entangling staff staff, which comes out at a whopping 3*5*2000*4=120000g
Obviously, this is ridiculously high.
If you change it to, let's say use-activated, twice per day (for 5 rounds each), the factor of 4 would vanish and a new factor of 2/5 appears, which makes it 12000g
Or 6000g for once per day, which is quite reasonable for that kind of weapon.

tim01300
2013-05-10, 05:09 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. :smallsmile:

Telonius
2013-05-10, 07:17 AM
Not true. +1 weapon has caster level 3 (3 * enhancement bonus), demonstrating that it is possible to create magic weapons with caster level lower than 5 (required to take the feat). (source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm)).

Just to expand on this a bit - the caster level of an item, and the minimum caster level required to create the item, are not the same thing.

Ahenobarbi is right that while the creator would have to be at least 5th level (unless it's an Artificer or some other weird circumstance), for a regular magic weapon (jut enhancement, no other bonuses) the item's CL is 3. But if there are any custom abilities, the higher of the two item CL's required by the prerequisites would apply. If the special ability's minimum CL is higher than 3, you would use that.

Just in general - I'm with Mr. Lemon. The at-will ability reminds me of that mythical item of continuous True Strike. It's really more powerful than the rules are designed to handle. Uses per day is much more reasonable.

Eslin
2013-05-10, 08:28 AM
People are aware that the durations for continuous items are only relevant for continuous items, yes? Not command word items?