PDA

View Full Version : Build a Lvl 20 w/ diff class each lvl?

Redjar
2013-05-09, 10:31 PM
I was thinking about this earlier, how optimized can you be at lvl 20 if you take a different base class each time?

Obviously it won't be that great and I'm abysmal at builds but I thought it would be a fun experiment to propose and observe.

20 levels with a different class every time, no PrC.

Anything else goes as far as I care.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-05-09, 10:37 PM
Definitely use fractional BAB from UA, so instead of 1/2 BAB of Wizard it's 0.5 per level, 3/4 of Cleric would be 0.75 per level, and Fighter BAB would be unchanged.

You could go Rogue 1/ Spellthief 1/ Ninja 1/ Sneak Attack Fighter 1/ Psychic Rogue 1, and from there start dipping one level in any prestige class that gives +1d6 sneak attack at the first level. End up 20th level with a 20d6 sneak attack.

Callin
2013-05-09, 10:47 PM
you could add in Spellcaster, Expert, and Warrior to give you another 6d6 sneak attack. Because they get a bonus feat at first level which you can use to take the Sneak Attack feat for 2d6 (taking it multiple times though requires reading the ability of not being able to take it more than once to be as per class and not EVAR. So a small leap there). If the () is not able to be used use the Spellcaster because then you gain access to wands and such of the Cleric, Druid and Sorc/Wiz lists.

edit- ALSO farther on down the line in class levels take Swordsage with the Assassins Stance and thats another 2d6 Sneak Attack. So a theoretical SA of 13d6 by level 9 if you follow the above progression plus adding in mine.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2013-05-09, 11:42 PM
I remember we (the playground) did this with a full caster and we still ended up with 9th level casting.

Randomguy
2013-05-10, 12:07 AM
I was thinking about this earlier, how optimized can you be at lvl 20 if you take a different base class each time?

Obviously it won't be that great and I'm abysmal at builds but I thought it would be a fun experiment to propose and observe.

20 levels with a different class every time, no PrC.

Anything else goes as far as I care.

With no PrC's you're basically stuck taking levels either only in classes that give you sneak attack or only in classes that give you Full BAB. And I don't think there are enough base classes that give full BAB to make a good melee character.

Sylthia
2013-05-10, 12:14 AM
With no PrC's you're basically stuck taking levels either only in classes that give you sneak attack or only in classes that give you Full BAB. And I don't think there are enough base classes that give full BAB to make a good melee character.

There's plenty of classes with full BAB if you look at enough 3rd party material.

Draz74
2013-05-10, 12:14 AM
Hmmm, threads like this have popped up a number of times -- but the "no PrCs" restriction puts a new spin on it.

I'm thinking I'd probably go with a melee build with good Charisma, since Marshal is one of the best 1-level dips in the game ...

CN Human

Binder - Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop), Able Learner
Battle Dancer
Bard - Extra Music
Marshal
Swordsage (pick up Shadow Jaunt, Counter Charge, Cloak of Deception, etc.)
Cloistered Cleric - Doomspeak, Knowledge Devotion, Travel Devotion
Wilder (pick up Synchronicity)
Lion Spirit Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian
Crusader - Imperious Command
Thug Fighter - Power Attack
Ranger (Favored Enemy Arcanists)
Martial Rogue - Divine Might, Combat Panache
Incarnate
Duskblade
Spellthief - Staggering Strike
Warlock (probably Beguiling Influence)
Warblade (pick up Iron Heart Surge, Bounding Assault, Leading the Charge, etc.)
Psychic Warrior - Martial Stance (Shifting Defense), Favored Power Attack
Scout
Favored Soul

This makes an excellent party face, and is very mobile. Damage output is nothing to write home about, but it's at least ok vs. arcanists and/or when it can charge with Maneuver enhancements. With Fractional BAB, this just barely breaks +16 by the end of its progression (16.25, to be exact). And it's got lots of other random tricks: psionic powers, a vestige, L1 divine spells, L1 arcane blasting spells, spell stealing, Iron Heart Surge/White Raven Tactics, an aura, various debuffs, and soulmelds.

I just wish it got more Feats. There were a lot I wanted but couldn't fit on the build: Dragonfire Inspiration + Song of the White Raven, and Craven, just to name three.

EDIT: OK, this is actually sounding really fun ... I may have to do a more in-depth build.
EDIT2: It occurs to me that, if Flaws are allowed, Changeling (with the Rogue racial sub level) is probably a better choice than human. After all, it's not like this build has to worry about favored classes. :smallwink:

You could go Rogue 1/ Spellthief 1/ Ninja 1/ Sneak Attack Fighter 1/ Psychic Rogue 1, and from there start dipping one level in any prestige class that gives +1d6 sneak attack at the first level. End up 20th level with a 20d6 sneak attack.
Nitpick: Technically, I think Psychic Rogue is a variant of Rogue, and therefore can't be on the same build (just like Psion and Erudite).

you could add in Spellcaster, Expert, and Warrior to give you another 6d6 sneak attack. Because they get a bonus feat at first level which you can use to take the Sneak Attack feat for 2d6
Yeah, except for the part where those classes aren't supposed to be used alongside normal classes ...

Ryu_Bonkosi
2013-05-10, 04:14 AM

I will learn to read before I post next time. :smallredface: