PDA

View Full Version : Fear Enough to Sap the Limbs [3.5, Minor Artifact, PEACH]

Amechra
2013-05-09, 10:54 PM
Dread

Dread is an empty scabbard. At least, that's what an outside observer could tell you. To the one wearing it, they know that there is some terrifying thing inside it. They can draw it out and wield it as a knife.

Dread may be "drawn" and "sheathed" as if it were a dagger; attacks made with it are melee touch attacks. However, attacks made with Dread don't cause any physical harm; each successful attack instead causes the victim to become Shaken and Fatigued until they next sleep in a safe place, with DC 25 Will save negating one of the conditions, their choice. These conditions stack; a creature struck unconscious by Dread is not helpless, however, as they thrash and scream in the midst of a nightmare.

As each attack finds its way home, the victim starts to see a black forest appear at the edges of their vision; in it is that horrible thing in the scabbard. It is the worst thing in the world. Each blow brings it closer, and closer, until they feel its nightmare breath kissing the back of their neck.

They try to run, but they can't...

The conditions inflicted by Dread cannot be removed by any means except for a full night of sleep in a place that the creature knows is absolutely safe, or a Wish-equivalent spell. Until the conditions are removed, each night they are targeted by a Nightmare effect (DC 25 negates); if they fail a save, they no longer consider wherever they were sleeping as safe, because that thing found them.

Finally, as long as Dread has been "drawn", any divination effect cast that targets the wielder or which asks a question about the wielder fails to return an answer, instead affecting the inquisitive caster as if they had been struck successfully by Dread.

If anyone cares to look inside Dread, they'll find only a pervasive feeling of fear and a small inscription, reading "what are you really afraid of?"

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 12:44 AM
OOoooh, I like!

Is there anyway it could kill or is it just a PTSD creation device?

Amechra
2013-05-10, 01:04 AM
All it does it create PTSD.

The thing is, it is amazing at creating PTSD.

And, well, you can always use it with martial maneuvers, thus stabbing them with PTSD.

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 01:18 AM
I LIKE IT! Totally yoinked. I may have to write up a PTSD mechanic now. (Template maybe?)

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 04:56 AM
Just as a quick knock-together of the PTSD template that this weapon desperately requires.

Traumatized
The target is shaken when facing the source of his trauma but gains a +4 to Strength and Dexterity as well as a 10ft speed increase to all forms of movement when facing the trauma.

If the Target has acquired the Traumatized template more than once, sources of fear and bonuses stack if more than one is present.

May come back and refine it.

Eurus
2013-05-10, 04:58 AM
I love this thing as a sort of setpiece item. It's interesting that wielding this... thing... doesn't have any negative effects on the wielder, though.

inuyasha
2013-05-10, 09:19 AM
Amechra, keep making more artifacts! Please please please! Im going to use your meat hook as the bbeg in my next adventure :D. I like your necromantic artifacts :smallbiggrin:.

Amechra
2013-05-10, 10:08 AM
I'm actually thinking of nerfing this a bit, by having the Fatigue not stack with itself.

Because this is supposed to make them run for the rest of their days, an unspoken horror always dogging their steps, eventually collapsing in exhaustion after going weeks without restful sleep.

As it is, there are going into a nightmare coma in one combat round.

Thoughts?

Yitzi
2013-05-10, 10:13 AM
I'm actually thinking of nerfing this a bit, by having the Fatigue not stack with itself.

Because this is supposed to make them run for the rest of their days, an unspoken horror always dogging their steps, eventually collapsing in exhaustion after going weeks without restful sleep.

As it is, there are going into a nightmare coma in one combat round.

Thoughts?

Say that anyone who is struck with it (whether they make the save or not, or remove it or not) is immune to its effects for 24 hours. So repeated use against an enemy over time can make them panicked and unconscious, but not a single encounter.

Amechra
2013-05-10, 10:16 AM
That works, though if I do that, I'll probably have it deal 1 point of nonlethal damage.

Because it does slow you down, after all. Not by much, and not until you are struck many times, but, well...

If you aren't using this thing with Sneak Attack/Maneuvers, I don't know what to say.