PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Spells for Battle Blessing

r2d2go
2013-05-10, 12:04 AM
So, I've been making a list of spells that my Cleric/PrC Paladin might want to use with Battle Blessing, because being able to shoot lasers out of your eyes while beating people up makes being a gish way more fun. And buffs make it easier not to die when I dump stated Con at request of my DM. Here's what I have, anything else that's good, or anything on here that's bad?

1st Level:

Resurgence: Free save! Makes getting debuffed a lot less concerning.
Bless Weapon: +1 weapon, treated as good and confirms crits. Nice bonus vrs the only creatures I'll fight - evil. Works even better with a scimitar.
Faith Healing: Like a maximized Cure Light Wounds on those of the same faith.
Rhino's Rush: Double charge damage for a round. Already swift, but still boss. Thanks to StreamoftheSky, below.

2nd Level:

Awaken Sin: 1d6/level nonlethal, stun, if KO, 1d6 wis damage, will negates. Pretty awesome damage (Even if it's nonlethal) and a decent debuff.
Benediction: +2 stacking luck bonus to saves, can reroll an attack, save or skill roll before seeing if it fails by ending spell. 100 minutes, can only be cast on allies. This is a pretty awesome buff in my opinion, even if it's only at the start of combat it's decent insurance against critical failure, probably lasts multiple encounters, and stacks.
Call Mount: Calls your mount, as the class ability, 1 hr/level. At my caster level, it's pretty nice for keeping a mount up all day, especially with all my mounted combat feats. Plus, leaping off a cliff and landing on a newly-summoned mount is awesome.
Conduit of Life: +2d10+level to next healing special ability or +3d8+level to next healing spell. Nice boost to healing compared to CMW, for in battle. Especially when quickened.
Crown of Smiting: +2 damage to one hit per minute for 1 hour/level, can expend for +8 damage to one hit. Basically a boost to damage fore when you think it matters. It's a lot better when you start multiplying your damage with Spirited Charge and a lance.
Curse of the Brute: +1/level to a physical stat, -1/level to Cha+Int, touch, fort negates. Wait, what? This can completely neutralize a caster (who have crappy fort saves) with a touch. Oh yeah, I'm a gish, so I can do this while I'm beating my way around. Oh, and it's battle blessed, so I can do it while I'm full attacking his guards.
Righteous Fury (Miniatures Handbook): x2 damage to first attack on a charge, 1 round per level. Yay for more damage multipliers! And for 1 round per level!
Righteous Fury (Magic of Faerun): 1d4 Temp HP/level, +2 natural armor, +2 enchantment str/dex, +2 sacred to Fort. Mostly here for the temp HP - it starts out weaker than, say, Conduit of Life. Actually, it stays there until 9th caster level. But it's still nice to get some THP before the fight, and it has other little buffs.
Turn Anathema: Turn chosen opposing alignment subtype as undead (can only turn, not destroy or rebuke), 10 min/level. I have a ton of turning attempts from high Cha, so this is nice. COWER, FOOLS!

3rd Level:

Diefic Bastion: +2 sacred AC, and bonus effect based on diety. If it's a good effect, this is a great spell (50% fortification against someone who has 18-20 critical is nice)
Earth Hammer: +1 size, Cold Iron for DR purposes if dwarf. Thanks to Keld Denar, below.
Find the Gap: Ignore Armor, Shield and Natural Armor for 1 attack/round, 1 round/level. As StreamoftheSky says, worse than wraithstrike but less like to get DM hammered.
Heal Mount: As Heal, but only for your mount. Make your mount the tank with this - a 5th level spell's healing but at 3rd level. And quickened!
Righteous Fury(AGAIN?!?!): +4 SACRED bonus to Str and Con, Temp hit points. Thanks to Keld Denar, below.
Undead Bane Weapon: Bane weapon vrs undead, 1 hr/level. Bane is pretty good, if you happen to be fighting undead who aren't easy to turn...

4th Level:

Holy Sword: +5 Holy Weapon and continuous Magic Circle vrs Evil, 1 round/level. Oh yeah!
Revenance: Resurrect for 1 minute/level, then they die. Still good, especially for getting someone up for Revivify or something.
Irresistible Force: Freedom of Movement, +10 to Bull Rush and Trip, only 5 feet of movement needed for a charge, 1 round/level.
Righteous Aura: +4 sacred to Cha. On death, explode, hitting all within 20 for 2d6/level (max 20d6) damage to nongood, healing that much to good, double damage to undead. The second one is awesome for grenades/healing. A use for that gray bag of tricks, finally! Though that might bend your code of conduct.

Also, maybe Sword of the Arcane Order would count for this? In that case, low-level wizard spells will be going up, like Wraithstrike and Heartache. Man, heartache is ridiculous - helpless for a round. Good thing it's a standard action... oh wait now it's swift. Might be a reason it's 3.0 and not 3.5

Thanks to all the people who respond below for suggesting spells!

Keld Denar
2013-05-10, 12:13 AM
There is another Righteous Fury in SpC or CChamp, I forget which. It's 3rd level and gives a +4 SACRED bonus to Str and I think Con along with some temp HP. The problem with the RF listed above is that it is an Enhancement bonus, which any paladin worth his salt should have covered by the time he learns a couple of 2nd level spells.

Then there is Earth Hammer in Races of Stone which increases the effective size of your weapon by 1 and making it count as Cold Iron (if you are a dorf only). Its already swift, but it's pretty kickass, ESPECIALLY if you are stacking multipliers because base weapon damage is one of the few dice sources that multiplies.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-10, 12:57 AM
Spell Compendium has Find the Gap at 3rd level. It's completely inferior to the lower level (though not on your list) Wraithstrike, but also far more balanced and infinitely less likely to get banned by your DM. One attack per round for round/level hits touch AC.

It also has Fell the Greatest Foe at 2nd level. Round/level, do +1d6 melee damage per size smaller you are than who you're attacking, can easily add up really fast.

r2d2go
2013-05-10, 01:28 AM
Spell Compendium has Find the Gap at 3rd level. It's completely inferior to the lower level (though not on your list) Wraithstrike, but also far more balanced and infinitely less likely to get banned by your DM. One attack per round for round/level hits touch AC.

It also has Fell the Greatest Foe at 2nd level. Round/level, do +1d6 melee damage per size smaller you are than who you're attacking, can easily add up really fast.

Yeah, wraithstrike is boss but it's also sorcerer/wizard or assassin, which only works if I can convince my DM to let me use Sword of the Arcane Order... and use that with Battle Blessing. Fell the Greatest Foe looks pretty nice.

Arc_knight25
2013-05-10, 07:14 AM
Divine sacrifice. Take 10 dmg to dish out 5d6. All as a swift action. Make sure you smite when swinging this spell around.

Mass resergence as well. For when the whole party is full of suck.

Battle Blessing states only paladin spells. But of course if your DM allows then your golden.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-10, 10:33 AM
Yeah, wraithstrike is boss but it's also sorcerer/wizard or assassin, which only works if I can convince my DM to let me use Sword of the Arcane Order... and use that with Battle Blessing. Fell the Greatest Foe looks pretty nice.

Well, Wraithstrike is already a swift anyway, so you don't need Battle Blessing for it. (On the topic, Rhino's Rush is an awesome level 1 Paladin spell you should probably keep prepped, even though it also does not need Battle Blessing - double charge damage!)

soveliss24
2013-05-10, 04:04 PM
Also, I think that means you can use

Righteous Fury (Miniatures Handbook): x2 damage to first attack on a charge, 1 round per level. Yay for more damage multipliers! And for 1 round per level!
either before combat or in the first round, then Rhino's Charge for x3 damage in any other round you get a charge opening. Pretty nice.

r2d2go
2013-05-10, 06:31 PM
Also, I think that means you can use

either before combat or in the first round, then Rhino's Charge for x3 damage in any other round you get a charge opening. Pretty nice.

I was thinking more:
Lance on a Charging Mount
Riding Boots
Righteous Fury (start of combat)
*Charge* total x4
Crown of Smiting +2
*Charge* Full-Round, total x4+8
Rhino's Charge
Divine Might (Feat, +1/Cha (8) to damage for 1 round, 1 turn attempt)
*Charge* Full-Round, total x5+64

Yeah. Really nice. Though the DM might get mad...

Divine sacrifice. Take 10 dmg to dish out 5d6. All as a swift action. Make sure you smite when swinging this spell around.

Mass resergence as well. For when the whole party is full of suck.

Battle Blessing states only paladin spells. But of course if your DM allows then your golden.

Divine sacrifice is great for full attacks though not charging, but with my squishy body it might be less than great. For most paladins, though, it would be awesome. That makes me want to make have a Whirling Frenzy Barbarian do that, and have DR 2/- :smallamused: Mass resurgence might be a little less likely to be used, but I'll include it anyway.

soveliss24
2013-05-10, 06:47 PM
Eep. Yeah, that'll do it. I generally stay away from mounted builds precisely BECAUSE they have a tendency to stack multipliers that way. Although swapping out my mount for Charging Smite just means I'm likely to be doing 3x (weapon + 1.5Str + 3x Power Attack + 3x Smite) on that charge. And that's still oodles of damage in a low-op game.

Coidzor
2013-05-29, 03:41 PM
Don't forget about valorous weapons if you can get 'em. :smallbiggrin: The charging build's best friend.