PDA

View Full Version : Net and Trident Fighter

LanSlyde
2013-05-10, 02:32 AM
So, next week we may end up in a low magic islandworld campaign where the largest landmass is about the size of Australia. A friend of mine wanted to play a Darfellan Fighter. So I sat down and helped her out with a build. We are starting at level 2 and use a feat progression of 1st,2nd, and every other level.

In this setting Darfellans have Powerful Build and are LA +1. We ignore LA unless its 2 or more.

No magic (including items), no ToB.

Class Progression:

(1) EWP: Net (Required for Net and Trident)

(F1) TWF (Same as EWP)

(2) WF: Trident (Same as EWP)

(F2, 6) Dungeoncrasher (Bursting through the bottom of someones boat is hilarious)

(3 (F3)) Skill Focus Intimidate; Zentarium varient

(4) Net and Trident (Main point of this build)

(F4) Resolute (Low magic, but boosting the fighters will is a good thing)

(F5) Extended Intimidation (Zentarium goodness)

(6) Combat Expertise (Required for feats)

(8) Imperious command (Swift Demoralization is right round the corner)

(8 (F8)) Improved Disarm (To help control the netted opponent)

(10) Blindfight (Because why not?)

(10 (F10)) Improved trip (See improved disarm)

(12) Combat Reflexes (for all those tasty AoO they will be provoking from trying to stand, pick up their weapon, and escaping the net)

(12 (F12)) Power Attack (Comes in late, but its at this point in the game where you can really get some good dmg out of it)

(14) Knife Fighter (I know about the restrictions, we don't care. I chose this one on the off chance something big and nasty eats her)

(14 (F14)) Improved Bullrush (Required feat)

(16) Steadfast Determination (We pretend Endurance does not exist, also Con to Will saves is a good thing.)

(18) Knockback (For those days she can't net someone, trip them, disarm them, then stab them repeatedly)

(18 (F18)) Cometary Collision (Really just for playing pinball with the bad guys)

(20) Diehard (I ran out of ideas, endurance is not needed, and in our games you die when your -hp is >= one half your full normal hp total)

(20 (F20)) Shock Trooper (Because why not?)

My general idea when creating this thing was make one that would be effective regardless of the situation or environment she would be in.

Assuming she is on land she can fight with her net and trident and effectively lock down and drop targets with a combination of trip, disarm, entanglement, and scaring the piss out of them. If she losses her net thats perfectly fine, as she can then wield her trident with both hands and dish out more damage overall, but the net and trident idea was to help minimize risking her character.

Assuming she is on a boat at sea its roughly the same idea, with the exception of dragging her netted target overboard and letting them drown :smallamused:

Underwater combat means she would have to eschew the net entirely, but that isn't as bad as it might seem as she has the feats to end combat quickly if needed, but it is risky.

It's like 2:30 right now, so my brain hurts. Feel free to pick apart my ideas.

Darrin
2013-05-10, 08:55 AM
"HAIL TO THE WHALE!"

You may need Quickdraw in there to get more nets out, unless you can get a bunch of Lesser Crystals of Return (500 GP, MIC).

I'd consider putting in some Knock-Down (SRD version), assuming your DM is clear on whether or not it works with Improved Trip. If so, then consider adding Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 for Improved Trip without having to waste a feat on Combat Expertise. If your DM is amenable, you can also add Spirit Lion Totem for Pounce and Whirling Frenzy. Add Curling Wave Strike for more tripping.

There's another quirk to Net & Trident Style... you can take a 5' step, and then another 5' step after you throw your net to trigger skirmish damage on a Swift Hunter build. Add Quickdraw + Oversize TWF and you can then unload some TWF whoopass double-trident-style. Not quite sure it works with Darfellen, though:

TWF Net-and-Trident
Race: Human, Azurin, Strongheart Halfing, Frostblood Orc/Half-Orc
Worship Istus, Sotillion or Marduk for Favored Weapon: Net
Use UA Planar Ranger variant for Knowledge: the Planes
1) Ranger 1. Feat: Travel Devotion, Bonus: Weapon Focus Trident, Bonus: Track
2) Ranger 2. Bonus: TWF
3) Scout 1. Feat: Quickdraw. Skirmish 1d6
4) Scout 2. Skirmish 1d6.
5) Scout 3. Skirmish 1d6AC+1
6) Scout 4. Feat: Swift Hunter. Bonus: Planar Touchstone -> War Domain (Net). Skirmish 2d6AC+1.
7) Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance. Skirmish 2d6AC+2
8) Exotic Weapon Master 1. Close-Quarters Ranged Combat.
9) Ranger 4. Feat: Net and Trident Style
10) Ranger 5. Skirmish 3d6AC+2
11) Ranger 6. Bonus: Imp. TWF
12) Highland Stalker 1. Feat: Oversize TWF
13) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish 4d6AC+2
14) Ranger 7. Skirmish 4d6AC+3
15) Ranger 8. Feat: Improved Skirmish
16) Ranger 9. Skirmish 5d6AC+3/7d6AC+5
17) Ranger 10.
18) Ranger 11. Feat: Travel Devotion. Bonus: Gr. TWF. Skirmish 6d6AC+4/8d6AC+6
19) Ranger 12.
20) Ranger 13. Skirmish 7d6AC+4/9d6AC+6

There is a way to get Skirmish into a full BAB build, though... if you have 1d6 sneak attack (most likely via Ronin, since Sneak Attack Fighter is probably out, and Nightsong Enforcer requires evasion), you can take 4 levels of Highland Stalker, pick up Swift Hunter, and then finish off with Ranger.

LanSlyde
2013-05-10, 01:00 PM
"HAIL TO THE WHALE!"

You may need Quickdraw in there to get more nets out, unless you can get a bunch of Lesser Crystals of Return (500 GP, MIC).

I'd consider putting in some Knock-Down (SRD version), assuming your DM is clear on whether or not it works with Improved Trip. If so, then consider adding Wolf Totem Barbarian 2 for Improved Trip without having to waste a feat on Combat Expertise. If your DM is amenable, you can also add Spirit Lion Totem for Pounce and Whirling Frenzy. Add Curling Wave Strike for more tripping.

There's another quirk to Net & Trident Style... you can take a 5' step, and then another 5' step after you throw your net to trigger skirmish damage on a Swift Hunter build. Add Quickdraw + Oversize TWF and you can then unload some TWF whoopass double-trident-style. Not quite sure it works with Darfellen, though:

TWF Net-and-Trident
Race: Human, Azurin, Strongheart Halfing, Frostblood Orc/Half-Orc
Worship Istus, Sotillion or Marduk for Favored Weapon: Net
Use UA Planar Ranger variant for Knowledge: the Planes
1) Ranger 1. Feat: Travel Devotion, Bonus: Weapon Focus Trident, Bonus: Track
2) Ranger 2. Bonus: TWF
3) Scout 1. Feat: Quickdraw. Skirmish 1d6
4) Scout 2. Skirmish 1d6.
5) Scout 3. Skirmish 1d6AC+1
6) Scout 4. Feat: Swift Hunter. Bonus: Planar Touchstone -> War Domain (Net). Skirmish 2d6AC+1.
7) Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance. Skirmish 2d6AC+2
8) Exotic Weapon Master 1. Close-Quarters Ranged Combat.
9) Ranger 4. Feat: Net and Trident Style
10) Ranger 5. Skirmish 3d6AC+2
11) Ranger 6. Bonus: Imp. TWF
12) Highland Stalker 1. Feat: Oversize TWF
13) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish 4d6AC+2
14) Ranger 7. Skirmish 4d6AC+3
15) Ranger 8. Feat: Improved Skirmish
16) Ranger 9. Skirmish 5d6AC+3/7d6AC+5
17) Ranger 10.
18) Ranger 11. Feat: Travel Devotion. Bonus: Gr. TWF. Skirmish 6d6AC+4/8d6AC+6
19) Ranger 12.
20) Ranger 13. Skirmish 7d6AC+4/9d6AC+6

There is a way to get Skirmish into a full BAB build, though... if you have 1d6 sneak attack (most likely via Ronin, since Sneak Attack Fighter is probably out, and Nightsong Enforcer requires evasion), you can take 4 levels of Highland Stalker, pick up Swift Hunter, and then finish off with Ranger.

Interesting ideas, but she did not want any barbarian, and ranger has casting so its out. I thought about quickdraw, but so long as she holds the trailing rope she can reuse the same net until thing manages to break it. I might shift some things around. See what she thinks.

Darrin
2013-05-10, 01:22 PM
Interesting ideas, but she did not want any barbarian, and ranger has casting so its out. I thought about quickdraw, but so long as she holds the trailing rope she can reuse the same net until thing manages to break it.

There are two ACFs that swap out the Ranger's spellcasting, one in Complete Warrior (gets fast movement and a few other trinkets), and one in Complete Champion called Champion of the Wild. This last one, whenever you would get a new level of spells, you can pick up a bonus feat instead. Unfortunately, the list of available feats is lousy... but you could pick up some Trip/Disarm feats that way.

As for the net, once it's thrown and you miss, you have to refold it or you get a -4 penalty to throw it again. The PHB says it takes a proficient user 2 rounds to fold the net, but unfortunately it doesn't specify the type of action required. Standard? Full? Not sure.

LanSlyde
2013-05-10, 04:00 PM
There are two ACFs that swap out the Ranger's spellcasting, one in Complete Warrior (gets fast movement and a few other trinkets), and one in Complete Champion called Champion of the Wild. This last one, whenever you would get a new level of spells, you can pick up a bonus feat instead. Unfortunately, the list of available feats is lousy... but you could pick up some Trip/Disarm feats that way.

As for the net, once it's thrown and you miss, you have to refold it or you get a -4 penalty to throw it again. The PHB says it takes a proficient user 2 rounds to fold the net, but unfortunately it doesn't specify the type of action required. Standard? Full? Not sure.

I know about the ranger ACFs, but honestly I think they are both completely silly and really not all that good for this particular character archetype.

As for the net, I understand that using it unfolded incures a -4 to hit. But seeing as how she will be targeting Touch AC I'm not worried about it. That said, I assumed it took two full round actions to refold a net properly.

I appreciate the thoughts on where to go with this thing, but she is really not too keen on TWF or Skirmish. She's not a completely new player, just one that doesn't know the system very well. So I'm trying to keep it simple and effective without too many shenanigans.