PDA

View Full Version : Strange pets in the Playground!

Killer Angel
2013-05-10, 09:02 AM
Many of us take care of domestic animals, usually dogs and cats.
But I'm pretty sure that there is some bizarre Playgrounder with more unusual beasts (aquarium with piranhas, and so on)

I, for example, keep some Phasmids, aka stick insect (http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/stick-insect/).

Share your unusual pets!

Traab
2013-05-10, 07:34 PM
I briefly had a prairie dog. Cute and friendly little critter. Basically needed a larger hamster cage for it.

Togath
2013-05-10, 08:34 PM
I have a tank that only has a Pleco/Suckerfish in it.
And if it counts, I have three(well, two adults and a kitten) pigmy cats, two of which are the kittens of a female pigmy feral cat I found under my house as a kitten several years ago.

Mauve Shirt
2013-05-10, 08:45 PM
I used to update Cyrus' twitter account, when I spent time at home during the day and got to hear him speak. But now that I've moved out, I'm not sure it will ever be updated. However, you get the gist.

https://twitter.com/littlegreyguy

warty goblin
2013-05-10, 09:22 PM
You haven't lived until you've owned a llama.

Coidzor
2013-05-10, 10:15 PM
We had a gopher tortoise once that decided to take up residence in our backyard's sandpit so we played host and gave it prickly pears from the beach and it stayed for about a month or so before moseying on.

Erloas
2013-05-10, 10:18 PM
At this point the most unusual pet I have is shrimp. Small freshwater shrimp. Also have quite a few other fish but they are pretty common.
When I get to it I'm going to build a very large wooden tank (lined with fiberglass, with glass insets into the front and side) with the bottom having dirt and plants on one side and fish on the other side, and the top is going to either have tree frogs and geckos or a chameleon, I haven't exactly decided yet. The chameleon I want to get is a panther, which are exceptionally colorful, but also very expensive and fairly timid.

Killer Angel
2013-05-11, 02:20 AM
Chamaleons are cool! :smallcool:

No one still mentioned tarantulas? we are less weird than what i believed.

Elemental
2013-05-11, 03:49 AM
You haven't lived until you've owned a llama.

Nonsense. Part of living is the anticipation of one day owning a llama.

Anyway... Do silkworms count as strange? I kept a couple in school.

TuggyNE
2013-05-11, 06:02 AM
My folks have kept rabbits, chickens, and ducks*, and I'd take care of them a fair bit. Don't have any right now, though.

Sister owns a horse. :smalltongue:

*In particular, despite intending the ducks for eggs and/or meat, my dad had a tremendously soft heart for them, so they really were pets.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-05-11, 06:26 AM
PRETEND THIS POST WAS SIGNED IS AS VACANT I'M TOO DUMB TO SIGN IN(shut up all you smart-alec hookers)

I have a pet scorpion. I went one this road trip, right, with my kinda-girlfriend and this Rasta kid she was friends with. So, she packs like eleven pairs of shoes, because apparently my life in high school was designed to retroactively justify '90s stand-up, and he's, well, he's more Master of Reality than Paranoia. So, he and decide this Scorpion we find in our tend is tiny, so it can't be that harmful, right? Well, no, not right. Totally wrong, smaller is worse, but she was still our bro, because apparently Kingston and I are the Scorpion-whisperers. Now, she's dead, and he and I have half her kids. The scorpion, not my ex. (She lives in Nebraska and it's taking all of my gentlemanly reserve not to make a joke about that.) Apparently, I'll like lose a finger if it stings my hand. If they molt, they might kill themselves from excess poison, but if you can get them drunk, they'll eject it, so we strap foil to their backs and make them watch Casablanca on repeat with Tom Waits blasting until they drin once a year. It's a fun reunion.

Asta Kask
2013-05-11, 06:59 AM
I've had rats and gerbils - not so unusual perhaps. I also briefly bred snails.

The Tyler
2013-05-11, 08:37 AM
I have young children. There are days when it feels like I have strange pets.

Also, not exactly a pet, but we have barn swallows who have nested in the corner of our front porch. They built their first nest last year in the other corner, but that's being used by a finch this year. It's so accustomed to us that I can walk up to the nest and give it a crust of bread, which is how I know it's the same pair of swallows. We have a second pair of swallows this year nesting in the corner of our carport. They freak out and swoop over our heads when we go near them.

That's the closest I've ever gotten to a strange variety of pet. Some of my normal pets have been strange. And some of my desired pets certainly aren't normal.

warty goblin
2013-05-11, 12:57 PM
Nonsense. Part of living is the anticipation of one day owning a llama.

A valid point; llama longing can also lend meaning to our otherwise callow, cameloid devoid lives.

I also at one point had lesbian ducks. I'm not sure the animal kingdom contains anything so completely devoted to innocent perversion as the saphic duck. The things they got up to in the waterdish of a morning were as improbably balanced as they were inventive.

Silverbit
2013-05-11, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure if they count, but I've got two ferrets. And I've trained them not to bite like manics! (Either that or they're trying to instil a false sense of security. All ferrets are Chaotic Evil.)

valadil
2013-05-11, 10:04 PM
We had a hedgehog named Jeffie but had to put him down due to snout cancer.

Killer Angel
2013-05-12, 03:51 AM
I'm not sure if they count, but I've got two ferrets. And I've trained them not to bite like manics! (Either that or they're trying to instil a false sense of security. All ferrets are Chaotic Evil.)

Oh, my cousin had one! nasty beast, indeed...

Also, not exactly a pet, but we have barn swallows who have nested in the corner of our front porch.

almost 10 years ago, a couple decided to make their nest into my garage (at the time, it was empty, so i was used to leave it open when I was at work).
I leaved it open for all the season...

wxdruid
2013-05-12, 12:30 PM
We have 2 cats, 1 elderly rat (his buddy had to be put to sleep), a leopard gecko (and a bunch of soon to be munched crickets), a recently molted hermit crab and hopefully soon, a lot of toad eggs/tadpoles (when the toads finally decide to lay their eggs).