PDA

View Full Version : Common boat speed?

Balor01
2013-05-10, 09:40 AM
Hey guys,

So, we have a common rowing boat which can accomodate six medium humanoids (rowers). Is there a way to calculate boat's speed?

Also, if a character has swim speed 20, jumps into a water, grabs the rope with his mouth and swims, is it reasonable to conclude he is moving the boat with speed of 40 feet per round?

thanks

only1doug
2013-05-10, 09:55 AM
well, the srd says that a rowboat can move at 15 miles / day (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#tableMountsAndVehicles), which almost equates to a person with a 20' move being able to walk 16 mile a day so I'd give a rowboat a 20' move without any hesitation.

Towing: only if he is immensly strong can someone drag a rowboat at full speed, I'd give him 5' / round at max unless he was strong enough that the rowboat and contents could be carried around by him. (even then I'd penalise his movement unless it was within his light carrying capacity threshhold).

ksbsnowowl
2013-05-10, 10:18 AM
Don't know about rowboats, but the PHB speeds listed for Longships is utter crap. I forget the exact numbers, but Longships should run 1.5 to 2 times faster than the speed listed in the PHB.

Just FYI.