PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Casting spells while holding breath.

laeZ1
2013-05-10, 12:19 PM
Simply put, my questions is: can a spell be cast while one is holding their breath?

I haven't tried the following stunt in the game I'm in yet, but here's what I'm thinking:

Aboleth's Lung
School transmutation; Level cleric 2, druid 2, sorcerer/wizard 2, witch 2

Casting Time 1 standard action

Components V, S, M/DF (piece of seaweed)

Range touch

Target living creatures touched

Duration 1 hour/level; see text

Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes

The targets are able to breathe water, freely. However, they can no longer breathe air. Divide the duration evenly among all the creatures you touch. This spell has no effect on creatures that can already breathe water.

As best I can tell, if you use this offensively, (ie, a touched target with no source of water nearby), the target would be subject to pathfinder's drowning rules.

Drowning Rules (for referance)
Any character can hold her breath for a number of rounds equal to twice her Constitution score. If a character takes a standard or full-round action, the remaining duration that the character can hold her breath is reduced by 1 round. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check every round in order to continue holding her breath. Each round, the DC increases by 1.

When the character finally fails her Constitution check, she begins to drown. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hp). In the following round, she drops to –1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she drowns.

Unconscious characters must begin making Constitution checks immediately upon being submerged (or upon becoming unconscious if the character was conscious when submerged). Once she fails one of these checks, she immediately drops to –1 (or loses 1 additional hit point, if her total is below –1). On the following round, she drowns.

It is possible to drown in substances other than water, such as sand, quicksand, fine dust, and silos full of grain.

The drowning rules don't specifically say anything about spellcasting, but I did find a paragraph with rules on spellcasting underwater.

Spellcasting Underwater (for referance)
Casting spells while submerged can be difficult for those who cannot breathe underwater. A creature that cannot breathe water must make a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) to cast a spell underwater (this is in addition to the caster level check to successfully cast a fire spell underwater). Creatures that can breathe water are unaffected and can cast spells normally. Some spells might function differently underwater, subject to GM discretion.

The Verbal discriptor under the Magic section of the Core rulebook doesn't mention anything about casting spells (with verbal components) while holding breath, either.

I haven't found any rules aside from the ones I have listed that say, deffinatively, whether or not a person could speak in the example I provided (and therefore cast spells with verbal components). Does anybody know where I could find a rule in pathfinder that states it explicitly? And if not, where I could find one in 3.5?

Arbane
2013-05-10, 12:56 PM
Simply put, my questions is: can a spell be cast while one is holding their breath?

If you've got Silent Spell, sure. Otherwise, I'm thinking no.

Aboleth's Lung

As best I can tell, if you use this offensively, (ie, a touched target with no source of water nearby), the target would be subject to pathfinder's drowning rules.

Yep, a second-level Save Or Die spell. Nice going, designers.

Psyren
2013-05-10, 01:13 PM
The Verbal discriptor under the Magic section of the Core rulebook doesn't mention anything about casting spells (with verbal components) while holding breath, either.

A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice.

If you're holding your breath (underwater or otherwise) you can't speak in a strong voice and therefore cannot provide a verbal component.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-10, 01:54 PM
Yep, a second-level Save Or Die spell. Nice going, designers.

Well, it doesn't really kill the creature in combat, he's got plenty of time to beat the caster into the dirt before his breath runs out. Also, Create Water (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-water) is a cantrip, casting Dispel Magic works, and breathing his water supplies (waterskins and other beverages like alcohol) would buy him some time to get to a water source.

What happens if you drink/inhale a bunch of water into your lungs while the spell is cast? How long can you breathe that? Can you inhale water into your lungs, cough it up, and re-inhale it like breathing into a bag?

laeZ1
2013-05-10, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all of the responses, and I've thought of another question: Range Touch spells. Mechanically (correct me if I'm wrong), I need to make an attack roll against my opponent's touch AC.

I know that some spells (teleport, for instance), are range touch, but meant to be targeted on multiple people, usually allies. (I believe Aboleth's Lung is another example, since it explicitly states that you "Divide the duration evenly among all the creatures you touch.")

My question is two-parted: First, are there any rules dictating how to target multiple opponents with a spell with a range of touch?
Second, if there isn't, that would imply people touching you can recieve the benefit of the spell, without you needing to make an attack roll vs their touch AC. If that is the case, while grappled, could the spellcaster (assuming the proper concentration checks/still spell) were made, cast the spell without rolling an attack roll vs the grappler's touch AC?