PDA

View Full Version : Lifelong goal achieved!

Barsoom
2013-05-10, 12:44 PM
I have always yearned to name something after a D&D term or character. But what? I'm not an explorer, and discovering new islands was out of the question. Not a particle physicist or astronomer, and giving Gygax's name to an element or asteroid was also out. I am but a humble engineer. And yet, my time has come... At work, I have been tasked with designing a certain communication interface for internal purposes. It's all very niche, not much was done in this area, and I had to develop things from scratch, including the protocol itself. Two months later, the monumental work was done.

One of the benefits of doing things for the first time is that you have the priviledge of naming them. I have called the interface Internally Generated Generic Wired Interface for Linking Vectors, and the protocol it implements I called Guaranteed Redundant Access Zero-Toggle. The acronyms for that would be, of course, IGGWILV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iggwilv) and GRAZT*. None of the reviewers batted an eyelid. This is the way it going to go into the corporate database, and possibly into a patent application ...

* I know it's supposed to be GRAZ'ZT. Alas, an acronym with two Z's, let alone an apostrophe, was too tall of an order.

ShadowFireLance
2013-05-10, 12:46 PM
DUDE, Awesome! Smart thinking on your part! :smallbiggrin:
*Claps*

Karoht
2013-05-10, 01:43 PM
Rearrange the second one and it's GRATZ!
Which is my reply to your awesome naming conventions being accepted.

GolemsVoice
2013-05-10, 05:12 PM
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED.

Congratulation on your Drive & Determination

Temotei
2013-05-10, 05:21 PM
HOOOOOOOOOOO JEEEEUUHHHHHH

Nice job, man. :smallsmile:

Ebon_Drake
2013-05-10, 05:55 PM
Wow, I just thought you were going to have named a cat or something. That's considerably more impressive.

Mauve Shirt
2013-05-10, 06:01 PM
Wow. Being a pioneer in any field is an amazing accomplishment! There are not enough words to express how impressed I am by you! :smallbiggrin: Congratulations!

Remmirath
2013-05-10, 09:44 PM
That's pretty cool. Congratulations!

BWR
2013-05-11, 08:59 AM
That is frickin' awesome. Congratulations.

angrymudcrab
2013-05-11, 09:13 AM
So what you are saying is that your interface, and the protocol it implements are both chaotic evil? I'm glad I don't have to use it. :smalltongue:

Just kidding, this is awesome!:smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2013-05-13, 09:31 AM
I'm afraid your acronyms are just not egregious enough. Take a look at some military acronyms to get inspired by the truly vile lengths people go to just to get an acronym to match up.

Killer Angel
2013-05-13, 10:31 AM
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :smallsmile:

None of the reviewers batted an eyelid.

Well, if any of them did it, you probably would have found a new player... :smallwink:

Ebon_Drake
2013-05-13, 02:47 PM
I'm afraid your acronyms are just not egregious enough. Take a look at some military acronyms to get inspired by the truly vile lengths people go to just to get an acronym to match up.

Indeed. My personal favourite is the UK police's Home Office Large Major Enquiry System: either "large" or "major" is blatantly redundant in that name, but otherwise they wouldn't have spelt HOLMES.

Karoht
2013-05-13, 03:11 PM
Indeed. My personal favourite is the UK police's Home Office Large Major Enquiry System: either "large" or "major" is blatantly redundant in that name, but otherwise they wouldn't have spelt HOLMES.

Had they dropped both it would be HOES, I don't see that going over well.

Question, what sort of enquiries go through the HOLMES system?

Barsoom
2013-05-13, 03:14 PM
Indeed. My personal favourite is the UK police's Home Office Large Major Enquiry System: either "large" or "major" is blatantly redundant in that name, but otherwise they wouldn't have spelt HOLMES.Not redundant. The system is large. The enquiries are major.

And thanks for all the kind words, guys!

Mono Vertigo
2013-05-13, 03:16 PM

Elementary ones.

Karoht
2013-05-13, 03:24 PM
Elementary ones.
I heard this in my head.
"Elementary ones dear Karoht. Elementary."

A most excellent response.

Ebon_Drake
2013-05-13, 03:37 PM
Not redundant. The system is large. The enquiries are major.

And thanks for all the kind words, guys!
Theresa May* can tell me that until she's blue in the face, I'm still not buying it.:smalltongue:

Had they dropped both it would be HOES, I don't see that going over well.

"Elementary ones" is clearly a brilliant answer, but if you're genuinely curious Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOLMES_2) has whole article about it. Short answer: crime.

*British Home Secretary, for all the non-UK playgrounders** who rightly don't pay attention to British domestic politics.

**UK ones too

Eldan
2013-05-13, 04:04 PM
So, when will we see the Overarching Regulatory Circuit Update Switch and Decentralized External Matrix Of Generalized Overhead Reduction Grades Of Notation?

Aedilred
2013-05-14, 10:13 AM
Theresa May* can tell me that until she's blue in the face, I'm still not buying it.:smalltongue:
Well, if you remove "major", it's HOLES, which doesn't inspire confidence. If you take out the "large", it's HOMES, which sounds intrusive.

Mauve Shirt
2013-05-14, 08:59 PM
So, when will we see the Overarching Regulatory Circuit Update Switch and Decentralized External Matrix Of Generalized Overhead Reduction Grades Of Notation?

Oh, the ORCUS DEMOGORGON? I'm already building it.