PDA

View Full Version : Into the darkness [IC]

thethird
2013-05-10, 02:46 PM
Into the darkness

Episode 1: Crossing the treshold

Lucian and Tegalad make a strange couple. They met a couple days ago, in the Gentle Ogre tavern. Both of them listened with gleeful greed to the stories of an old prospector, who assured that the undercity was so full of riches that a man would need two lives to carry them out and ten lives to expend them. He told them of the old tower of Mother Saw, one of the temples of the old Alensia, which had the steps paved in gold and the windows of pure diamond. He even showed them a small golden tile, that he had recovered from there.

Haggling, cajoling and drinking the old man in a drunken stupor they got their hands in a map. Each wanting the treasure for himself the map ended torn and wet with spilled beer. After some time trying to get the best of one another they agreed to work together as partners. For there is enough gold in the Mother Saw for both of them, and probably enough danger too.

So here they are now. In one of the main entrances to the undercity. Around it a market has sprout to life. Several stalls and stands offer goods for the prospective spelunker. Ropes, torches, picks, lanterns, poles, anything imaginable can be bought here.

Several children, and halflings disguised as such, try to get the best of the pockets of anyone fool enough not to check them. They tend to gravitate around both adventures, recognizing them for what they are, crazy hobos with a dream of gold.

In frond of the gates to the undercity there are a couple of guards, a fat dwarf with his head shaved clean except for a mohawk and a towering goliath whose face is inked with tribal designs. Both of them wear the colors of the Reclaimers. Besides them there is a clerk sitting on a desk and scribbling on some long parchments. He too is wearing a reclaimer uniform.

Lexin
2013-05-10, 03:21 PM
Tegalad looks around the stalls, seeing some more or less useful pieces of equipment. He already has everything he needs, though. He turns to Lucian, noticing in the corner of an eye one of the halflings reaching to his pocket, but doesn't react, this one is filled with caltrops anyway...

"Do you need anything?" He asks in quiet, hoarse voice, pointing at the stalls "Or can we begin?" He adds, turning to look at the entrance to undercity, a little bit of greed shining in his eyes.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-10, 05:17 PM
Fingering at a semi-hidden pocket near his chest, containing a couple of platinum pieces and a few gold coins, the majority of his coinage inside his pack, Lucian thinks for a moment. "I don't have any torches, I think I'll pick up one of those everburning ones." he pauses. "We're likely to come across a fair amount of treasure, correct? I think it might be wise to invest in a chest and secure lock. Do you think it might fit in your haversack?"

thethird
2013-05-10, 05:31 PM
-Everburning... yes... yes...

A black Imp wearing a red fez hat and a waistcoat of the same scarlet color flies toward you. As he does the small kids and halflings dust away, getting some ground between themselves and the tiny devil.

-I'm Rosebell of Rosebell and associates. May I offer you some Everburning torches? Adamantine hooks? Graspling crossbows? Flint bars? Granola bars? Chests? Cogs? Coffins? A live insurance? A tiny impling? A packmate? Anything?

Rosebell rubs his hands with a malicious smile in his face. His eyes shine with diminute green fires.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-10, 06:30 PM
Lucian doesn't look at the imp."Begone or be run through Imp."

Lexin
2013-05-11, 04:17 AM
"Never liked his kind, you never know what is the real price when dealing with them..."
'A tiny impling? ... maybe later...'
"As long as you don't choose the largest one, I think we can still fit a chest here. Although I don't really see a point. If we buy a chest there will be less space for treasure and if anyone steals the haversack the lock won't stop them."

He says as he walks closer to some less devil-infested stalls and looks for the fancy torch. 'Who needs these things... I bought mine only in case I need to burn something...'

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-11, 07:24 AM
"I'm thinking about a small-ish metal one, to protect more valuable artefacts and the like. And you'd be surprised, the lock will give us more than enough time to find the thief and kill them." Streching his wings, Lucian walks around to find the right place. "Hello. I'm looking for a chest, metal and portable. I'd like the lock to be extremely good, money no object within reason. The lock opening and corresponding key should be small, the key should be no larger than a vial."

OOC
Lucian is trying to buy a chest with an Amazing Lock. 152gp total.

thethird
2013-05-11, 10:11 AM
Poor Rosebell leaves, he seems quite depressed, going back to a stall in which another Imp wearing a pink suit and a blonde wig starts shouting at him.

As Lucian approaches another stall an old gnome looks back at him, he is completely bald, and compensates it with a long white beard that extends to the ground. In his table there are several chests and keys. He scrambles them, looking under the table, and finally produces a chest that would fit Lucian's demands.

Once the chest is ready he pats his beard, finally finding a thin brass key. He tests the lock with it carefully, making sure it is the one.

-This will be one hundred fifty two gold pieces, you might want an extra key good sir? That would be three extra gold pieces if needed.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-11, 12:01 PM
Taking a couple of platinum pieces from his half-hidden pocket, he gives them to the gnome. "No thank you, my good fellow. One will do just fine. Huh. I've got to ask, how can people stand that Imp, Rosebell I think he said his name was, I've never known devils to be particularly trustworthy."

thethird
2013-05-11, 04:14 PM
The gnome takes both coins with careful hands and levels them to his eyes, squinting to check them. Finally he bites them and considers them good enough. He opens a small pouch hidden below his beard and starts to count some change.

-Perhaps you would like a ruby? It is worth forty gold pieces here in Alensia, and perhaps you might be lucky on your travelings. If not I can give you exact change.

He then looks at Rosebell far down the market. The Imp's wife is profusely beating the poor fellow with a pink umbrella.

-Poor man. He got himself in a lot of trouble when he had the young ones... I guess you aren't from around here. Imps are normally fair enough, adjusting to the law. If they didn't they would not be tolerated inside Alensia of course. Rosebell is a good fellow, he keeps to his business and as long as you don't buy a life insurance from him you will be alright, his deals are fair and square. His wife instead... she is a demon, and it won't surprise me in the least if she somehow skins him a live and boils him for soup. If you know what I mean.

The old man winks at Lucian. It might be a gnome idiom, because it doesn't make much sense.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-11, 04:36 PM
"I'd prefer coins, thank you. And no, I'm not. I didn't realise that Imps were fair traders, I never had much reason to trust Devils. I consorted with a Eyrines a while back, if you catch my meaning. I should probably go apologise, I threatened to run the poor guy through if he didn't leave me alone." After collecting his change and chest, Lucian walks over to Rosebell's stall.

"Hello, Rosebell was it? I must apologise for what I said before, I'm not from around here, so I wasn't aware that you were a legitamate merchant. Never had much reason to trust Devils, a legacy of a Eyrines', ah, company, if you know what I mean. Here, perhaps this might help smooth our rough start." Reaching into a small side pocket of his pack, Lucian pulls out a small silver spike-shaped object, about four inches in length. "It's a dragon bone, technicaly. You could probably have it fashioned into something for your wife. Now, what have you got for sale? And before you ask, no. I won't buy the Life Insurance."

thethird
2013-05-11, 04:47 PM
The gnome smiles, nods, and produces the coins.

When Lucian approaches Rosebell the imp smiles and rubs his hands once again. He nods slightly and hushes his woman aside, which before leaving hits him with the umbrella.

-Yes... yes... outsiders. Unlucky. Understandable. - He takes the silvered bone and bites it, looks at it with curiosity - Dragon bone? Yeah I could do something with this. Some providers will pay much for this. Good for animating some golems, yes. Dragons aren't handy around here. You probably could get two hundred fifty coins for this on the market. Wan't me to sell it for you? Small commission, small fee, yes... yes... Ten per cent. Deal?

He then waves one hand an a long piece of parchment appears on his hand. It has tiny inscriptions, with very fine red print. He also produces a pair of golden spectacles and starts reading.

-Want me to read full inventory? Many, many things here. Good crafters, yes, yes... Neogi's good for business. Perhaps some granola bars? What do you need?

He seems to be lost on the inventory of the store.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-11, 05:30 PM
"It's only technicaly a dragon bone, insorfar as a Dragon was required for the creation of that bone. And, no. Keep it, my way of apology. If you could just produce a list of your inventory, one that I can read, that would be most welcome."

Lexin
2013-05-12, 11:41 AM
'I should have stayed quiet. Now we entered a shopping spree...'

Tegalad rolls his eyes as he sees his new teammate walking around the stalls. He packs the new chest in his haversack and follows back to the imp. Bored, as he is with the conversation he looks around, checking if there are trowing knives to buy. He doesn't really need any... but if they are already shopping...

thethird
2013-05-12, 12:44 PM
Rosebell produces a book out of thin air, with a lot of pages, inside it there are several drawings of items, accompanied by names and inscriptions. It basically contains an ample collection of alchemical items, nothing costing more than two hundred fifty gold pieces.

On another stall a Darfellan has a lot of knives available, in case the snow elf decides he wants anything.

Lexin
2013-05-12, 01:27 PM
Tegalad's eyes open a little wider as he looks at the collection. He spends a long while comparing them and finally, seeing that Lucian is still talking with the Imp, he asks the vendor.

"How much for a set of these?"

http://www.heavenlyswords.com/images/T/WG-8665BK.jpg

thethird
2013-05-13, 04:20 PM
The darfellan offer fair prices. He also has some knives that aren't guarded with thin blades, perfect for throwing but that would be harder to reuse after being thrown. He also has some longer knives. After giving the elf a look, and checking around making sure that there aren't any undead guards around, he opens a small box showing some alchemically treated daggers, he assures that they can be a worthy investment against any non living creature.

Why don't we wrap up the buying spree? The market was there but wasn't really intended to have you going from shop to shop.

The darfellan has daggers, masterwork daggers, "shuriken" (throwing daggers), masterwork "shurikens", long knife (races of eberron), masterwork long knifes (again races of eberron) and alchemical flare stakes (expedition to castle ravenloft)

Lexin
2013-05-13, 04:25 PM
I checked the shops to post something... anyway.

Tegalad, who was just about to buy a set of knives is now discouraged by the merchant who talks way too much about his merchandise.
"Ready now?" he asks Lucian and without waiting for the answer he starts walking towards the entrance to undercity.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-14, 10:12 AM
After purchasing an Everburning torch from Rosebell, Lucian joins Tegalad at the undercity entrance. "Heh, heh. Alright, let's go get rich." Despite the seemingly carefree manner of speaking, there was certainly a note of apprehension in Lucian's voice.

Since I forgot to do so earlier, here are Lucian's prepared spells:

1st:
Wizard:
Dispel Ward (Spell Comp)
Benign Transposition (Spell Comp)
Spirit Worm (Spell Comp)

Cleric:
Obscuring Mist
Comprehend Languages
Omen of Peril (Spell Comp)

2nd:
Wizard:
Heroics (Spell Comp)
Rope Trick

Cleric:
Spell Immunity (Lesser) (Spell Comp)
Dark Way (Spell Comp)

thethird
2013-05-14, 11:03 AM
Once the couple is finally ready they advance towards the gate and are interrupted by the guards there. With some grunts the goliath stops the elf while the dwarf checks the human. The clerk on the table finishes whatever he is scribbling and looks up at both of them.

-Please, state your name and business.

After a quick glance he returns to the paper in his desk.

Lexin
2013-05-14, 11:45 AM
"Tegalad Faeron. Treasure hunting." Tegalad answers simply.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-14, 02:56 PM
"Lucian. Same reason." he said in an off hand manner. "How far into the Undercity are we likely to encounter anything that will be a threat to our continued well being?"

thethird
2013-05-14, 03:15 PM
The clerk looks above his papers. And gives a quick glance to the odd couple.

-You are carrying weapons. And seem capable of using them. Unless you are extremely unlucky, you will have to venture pretty far, or risk the hole, to stumble into a threat against your continuous well being.

He passes a form to Lucian and Tegalad, their names are inscribed in there.

-By signing this you agree to pay back a ten per cent of your exploits, and you compromise to sell back to the city any item of artistic or historic value before considering any other buyer. In exchange...

He produces a pair of thin wands and a couple of pins.

-Keep this pin on your person, identifying yourselves as reclaimer affiliated, that will ease your continuous well being. And in case it is threatened further, wave this wands, someone will go and investigate.

Without any other consideration the guards open the doors to the undercity. For now it just looks as a normal dungeon, as a noble would have in its manor, the entryway is well lit by torches.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-14, 03:33 PM
Signing the letter, Lucian looks at the man "The hole? I'm guessing that's some sort of shortcut or the like?"

Lexin
2013-05-14, 03:42 PM
Tegalad signs the document and asks only:
"A lot of competition today?"

thethird
2013-05-14, 04:20 PM
The clerk gives a short negative.

-Not a lot of movement, a group wiped at the south sector, and this night some greenies might give it a try.

He raises an eyebrow at Lucian.

-You aren't from here are you lad? The hole is what is below the undercity. The undercity is mostly safe, as long as you leave the mime city alone, or don't venture in some of the closed buildings. If you see a red and a white line marking a wall one above the other, it is a safe route, if they are crossed in an "X" shape is not safe. Of course, anything valuable that wasn't bolted to the floor has already been taken. And everything that could be taken wasn't properly bolted on the first place.

He smiles and goes back to his papers.

Venturing in the undercity not a lot of things change. It is a long corridor of stone, with torches embedded into it, there is enough light to see around. The corridor leads to another one, more ample that runs perpendicular to it. It is big, you can see more torches in the other side of the wall and what appears to be a commemorative wall, in it several names are scribbled, in front of it there are several candles, flowers and small offerings. On the ground there are a lot of lines, drawn in red and white, and after a quick glance one can see that it is indeed a map, probably of the explored areas of the undercity.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-14, 04:32 PM
After checking around to make sure nobody else was there, Lucian lifts up his left foot and unscrews the heel. Inside it is a small pearl-like object, which he quickly stows in his pack. He then takes the key for the chest he purchased from the gnome, places it inside the hollow heel and screws it back on.

"Let's be off then, shall we?"

Lexin
2013-05-14, 04:56 PM
"Just a moment." says Tegalad and compares the map on the wall with the one they got, trying to find the best way to find their treasure.

"...It should be somewhere there..." he says "Let's go."

Lexin
2013-05-15, 11:25 AM
"On a second thought, wait a moment..."
Says Tegalad turning back to the map on the wall. He takes out from his haversack a piece of paper and a pencil and copies the map.

"Better to be prepared." he says with a shrug as he starts walking in the direction he pointed earlier.

thethird
2013-05-18, 10:28 AM
With the map properly scribbled both of them start navigating the underdark. Soon torches start to be less frequent as they go deeper. It doesn't take long till the recently acquired everburning torch pays off, as they have to rely on it to see.

The corridors are clear, empty, wide and long. Some tiles are broken in the floor, there are roots here and there, and some mushrooms spring on corners. The walls are also straight and without decoration. There are some old holes and passages, as if long time ago there were doors on those corridors. It is like it is a city under the city, or perhaps a city that was buried under the ground.

After perhaps two hours walking a flickering torch can bee seen in the depths. It is moving, along the corridor in the same direction as both adventurers are going. It is not moving really fast, and if the human and elf decide to press march they will catch it up in no time.

I hope there is no problem with seeing the torch from afar, even if it is surrounded by darkness and theoretically it can't be seen

Lexin
2013-05-19, 03:59 PM
Sounds reasonable.

"It could be another group. Do we chase after them to see who they are, or do we avoid them?" asks Tegalad in a hushed voice.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-20, 03:39 PM
Lucian shrugs. "They aren't bothering us. Why should we bother them?"

Lexin
2013-05-20, 03:45 PM
"They could know something more about this place... they even might have the same map, if the old man is more sneaky than we thought... but as you wish, I am not too inclined to talk to them, if they are going to the same place maybe they would... disarm... some traps for us..." says Tagalad in his usual quiet voice and slows down (if necessary) so they don't catch up to the other group.

thethird
2013-05-20, 03:59 PM
The torch keeps going, undisturbed by the conversation behind it. Be it by luck or by chance it seems to be going on the same direction that the elf and the human need to follow to get close to the Mother Saw. After perhaps half an hour a moan is heard deep in the corridor.

The light in the front disappears suddenly. Sounds of people moving can be heard, the sound of swords being drawn rings in the room before it is eclipsed by hurried steps and baleful moans.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-20, 04:04 PM
Lucian draws his sword and prepares Spirit Worm for casting. "Do we wait here, or go in?"

Lexin
2013-05-20, 04:11 PM
Tegalad unwraps the heavy chain from his arms (equivalent of drawing weapon) and stops to think for a briefest moment.
"I go in, your choice if I sneak there alone, or you come with me... say, you don't see in the dark too well, right?" normally his tone would be mocking, but now it is more like 'I should have asked about this much earlier'.

thethird
2013-05-20, 04:29 PM
The sound of battle grows loud, it is mostly metal cleaving into flesh, but there are also the prevalent moans. Neither the elf nor the human were able to see anyone carrying a torch, and if there is someone it is not speaking, leaving its weapon do the talking.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-20, 04:39 PM
"Unfortunately, no. I can bring people from the brink of death, summon mighty creatures to my side and am in possession of more magical variety than the oldest lich. But I cannot see in the dark."

Lexin
2013-05-20, 05:05 PM
Tegalad thinks for a second if it wasn't sarcasm... but then decided that it wasn't important.
"Take your torch then, if you are coming."
He says and starts walking with caution towards the sounds of battle.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-20, 05:07 PM
Tying his torch to his belt, Lucian proceeds onwards with the Elf. Sword and spell at the ready.

thethird
2013-05-21, 11:23 AM
As you advance Lucian's torch brightens the scene. In front of you there are three figures, all dressed from head to toe in black leather, their features are hidden with a full mask. Glass spectacles reflect the light of the torch eerily. Another one also covered in the leather armor is on the ground bleeding profusely, the wooden shaft of a torch is protruding from its head.

Fending the others of is a woman. She has an inherent grace, but is not as fine as an elf. The half elf's body is covered with a scale armor and a long white tunic over it. She seems to be dancing around with a sword, eyes closed, every hit maintaining her assailants off.

Lexin
2013-05-21, 12:07 PM
"Stop! What's going on here?" asks Tegalad, his voice slightly louder than the sounds of battle. He takes a step closer to the other group and prepares to attack, if they don't stop themselves.

thethird
2013-05-22, 04:23 AM
The woman looks back distracted by the intrusion, her eyes were closed and as she opens them there is a glint of surprise and fear in her face. It doesn't last long though, one of the covered men hits her head with a closed fist. Breath seems to escape from the woman's lungs as she falls to the ground.

The three figures stand there looking at Tegalad, examining him from the distance. After a moment one of them takes a step towards the elf and human.

Lexin
2013-05-22, 06:26 AM
Tegalad's eyes open a little wider when he sees the half-elf fall.

He looks at the masked figures, his weapon ready to attack."Could you explain this? The faster the better."

thethird
2013-05-25, 04:00 AM
The men look confused at one another, and then the one in the center moans. After that they advance a step towards the couple walking over the fallen body of the half elf woman.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-25, 05:52 AM
Preparing for an attack, Lucian drops concentration on Spirit Worm to cast Detect Magic.

Lexin
2013-05-25, 09:08 AM
Tegalad is slowly getting irritated.
"Any idea what's going on?" he asks Lucian.

thethird
2013-05-26, 03:36 PM
Lucian's spell reveals auras, there are auras in the sword of the fallen half elf and in small recipients at the back of the masked men that move towards them. The auras in the masked creatures look the same, while the sword is different, but he would need to concentrate further to make out the auras.

For their part the three men advance, standing in front of Tegalad. The one closest to him moans before trying to headbutt him. When he misses his steps seem to fail, leaving him stumbling. The other two seem to ignore him on their advancement.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-26, 04:04 PM
"There's magic, the Half-Elf's sword and at the back of these masked men. I think they're undead, I'll check."

Dropping his Detect Magic, Lucian dismisses his Comprehend Languages spell and casts Deathwatch.

thethird
2013-05-26, 04:09 PM
The downed half elf woman shines with a pale light, indicating that she is fragile, almost dead. The three masked men give weird results, the mark of undead overlaps with that of fragile, as if they were indead alive, but undeath fueled them; or perhaps there were six creatures instead of three, half of them fragile and the other half undead.

Lexin
2013-05-26, 04:10 PM
"They don't look too aggressive, but there are already few dead bodies further ahead. Also... they don't smell... what kind of creature doesn't smell at all? You sure they are not some kind of illusion?"

Tegalad moves a step back and prepares to smack masked people on the heads if they get closer.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-26, 04:14 PM
"These things are alive, barely, but undeath seems to be driving them on. As if they were made undead at the brink of death. I don't know what to make of it. Still, if we hit them enough, they should go down."

thethird
2013-05-26, 04:15 PM
As Tegalad steps back the three masked men turn around at once, standing over the body of the half elf woman, kicking and punching her with brute force. The hits are rhythmic, none of the men touches the others, as if they were perfectly coordinated despite their craziness. Once they are done with the woman, Lucian can clearly see that she is dead, they turn back again, looking at the elf and at once they emit a long moan.

Lexin
2013-05-26, 04:19 PM
"Okay. That's enough for me." says Tegalad and starts attacking.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-31, 12:09 PM
Deciding not to try Spirit Worm, Lucian dismissed its energies, and quickly reformed them into a more powerful spell, blasting the closest, thing, with a burning ray.

thethird
2013-06-01, 01:22 PM
The maneuver catches the masked man by surprise, rushing towards a blind spot, almost hitting it before it can react. Surprisingly just before the weapon hits his partner the other two masked men moan loudly. Lucian spell also connects, it blackens the chest of the creature, hitting it strongly. The creature falls to the ground as a weird looking mist pours out of it taking a spherical form. After an instant it rushes towards the closest masked men, disappearing upon contact. Once the mist is absorbed the creature launches a straight punch towards the elf's jaw connecting with force. The other one tries to hit him, but fails miserably.

Lexin
2013-06-03, 09:06 AM
"Ouch! ...Not fun." says Tegalad and swing the chain with fury, attacking back the 'zombie' who injured him.
He swings wide, missing him entirely.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-06-08, 05:15 PM
Refusing to give quarter, Lucian again reforms a spell into Scorching Ray, targeted at another beast.

thethird
2013-06-08, 05:47 PM
The creature in front of Tegalad looks a bit scared and disoriented when his companion ignites in flames. The burning one falls to the ground and the other one wails wildly at the air before turning around and trying to run away.

Lexin
2013-06-17, 04:22 AM
Tegalad smacks the last enemy when he tries to run away. He checks if he is down for good and goes to check if the elf can still be saved... if not- oh, well. Looting procedure in progress.

thethird
2013-06-17, 06:11 PM
I lost my DM notes and can't remember atm how much experience do you get, I'll recalculate that in the morrow

The last foe hits the ground, it is not utterly dead, but it is in such a catatonic state that it doesn't really matter. It moans from time to time, but seems to be contempt lying in the ground. There are some valuable items around, the sword of the half elf woman pinged as magic in the first place when Lucian checked it. The masked men suits seem really expensive and finely crafted, they are almost one piece. The fallen dwarf, who was beaten to death too, carries a pair of golden bracelet that look expensive.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-06-18, 12:59 PM
Luican walks over to the masked men, and removes the mask.

thethird
2013-06-18, 01:44 PM
As Lucian unmasks one of the creatures its body raises, still connected to the mask. After a light struggle the thing comes off. When it does, swirls of mists emerge from it, condensing in a small ball, that somehow seems to run away from the man and the elf. Under the mask there is a gaunt face. It is a woman's face, its skin is thin and brittle, really pale. Clearly it hasn't seen the light of the sun in a long time. Its eyes are pitch black, like two small orbs of onix. Its mouth is stitched close, holding a thin tube through its lips.

Lexin
2013-06-21, 09:52 AM
Tegalad picks up the sword and straps it to his back, then goes to get the bracelets and puts them in backpack. When Lucian takes of the weird man's mask and some kind of mist flies away, he only stares uncomprehending.

"What exactly was that?" he asks after a while.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-06-21, 10:05 AM
"If I had to guess? Negative Energy. These things pinged on me when I checked for magical auras and remember what I said? It's like they were made undead at the moment of death. See the eyes? Looks like onyx. I wonder..."

Lucian pokes the onyx-looking eye.

thethird
2013-06-21, 12:49 PM
When Lucian pokes the eyes, the skin gives in slightly, some small particles of dusts are raised as the black sphere moves inwardly. A sweet and thick smell like that of ripe grapes fills the human nostrils. Applying some more pressure to the stone ends breaking the body, which suddenly turns to dusts, filling the leather suit with thin amorphous mist. After an instant small tendrils start to swarm in it, like a viper's nest it vibrates and swirls with motion, before dissipating slowly. Soon the only thing that remains is an empty suit and two hard onix stones.

Lexin
2013-06-21, 12:52 PM
"That was creepy." says Tegalad in a neutral voice.

"So what, you get the black stones and we resume the treasure hunting trip, or do we try to follow the piece of mist which was running away?

... not sure which one sounds more crazy..." he adds after a moment.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-06-21, 01:08 PM
"Onyx. And yes, we collect it all. After that, it's up to you."

Lexin
2013-06-21, 01:11 PM
"I say we continue treasure hunting, it's way more rewarding than tracking creepy monsters." *pause* "Unless creepy monsters lead to the treasure...

Anyway, let's follow the map..."

And after they finish collecting valuables he does resume travelling.

thethird
2013-06-21, 01:41 PM
According to the map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An-ekJi9St5odF9adWotVk15RWpKVzRKUUZqay1hWWc#gid=0) you need to continue ahead and then there are two options, you can turn right or turn left. The left turn is longer having to go back a little before being able to continue. The right turn instead is more direct, but it passes through an entrance to the hole, the level below the undercity, and that might prove dangerous.

As you continue walking forward there is a slight change in the undercity. The floor is more unkempt, some vines and roots spring from it. In some corners are in fact mushrooms, filling their small areas with colored spores. A cursory glance at the walls reveals some messages inscribed by it. Tegalad can read them clearly, as if he was reading them in full light. Any attempt of Lucian to read those would require close examination. The ink seems to be made of some sort of fungus, residing in the darkness below and used by the reclaimers to scribble secret messages, only visible to those with dark vision. Most messages are names, dates, and other trivial things, but as the group approaches the crossroad Tegalad can clearly see a warning.

"Security room breached."

There is also a date marked, three days ago. Strangely the intersection ahead is lighted, and some voices come from it. There are people there, talking.

Lexin
2013-06-21, 01:49 PM
"Security room breached... I wonder what it means... You think about it and I will go check who is there." says Tegalad quietly and points where the voices come from.

He then, without further delays sneaks closer.

thethird
2013-06-22, 10:37 AM
Tegalad can hear the voices, as he approaches they become clearer and easier to understand. One is grave and gruff, like stones in a sack. It speaks with a spiced accent, probably Terran. There is another one, but it keeps its tone calm and hushed, its voice is almost a whisper when compared to the loudness of the other.

-Boss, admit it we are lost.

-Have you checked the tunnels ahead?

-I have done it, Boss. We evaded the last group but the stone brims with mistlings. Sticks and Stones...

-What?

-Something is stirring below, Boss.

With that there is a loud noise, as of earth moving, and then just silence.

Lexin
2013-06-22, 10:42 AM
Tagalad walks back to Lucian not trying to sneak around this time and says in a falsely cheerful tone.
"It seems there was yet another group there... and the floor ate them, from the sound of it..."

Sgt. Cookie
2013-06-22, 11:03 AM
"I see. Might have been an earth elemental. Did you hear anything that sounded like Terran?"

Lexin
2013-06-22, 11:05 AM
"You mean the language? ... one of the group spoke with the accent, but no no Terran, as far as I can tell"