PDA

View Full Version : The Spellmaster (WIP, PEACH)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-10, 07:08 PM
The Spellmaster is an implementation of an idea that I've been playing with for a while - essentially, a casting class with very powerful options surrounding a very limited set of spells, so much so that their choice of spells is as or more significant than a fighter's choice of feats.

In terms of fluff, I imagine the Spellmaster as being somewhere between an obsessive wizard who seeks to learn every detail of the spells he knows, and a martial caster who practices his spells over and over until they're almost as familiar to him as swinging a sword is to a warrior.

The Spellmaster gets only one spell per spell level.

The Spellmaster
{table]Level | BAB | Fort | Reflex | Will | Special
1 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 2 | Irresistible Spell +1, Metamagic Pool, Rapid Metamagic
2 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 3 | Reliable Caster
3 | 2 | 1 | 1 | 3 | Practiced Caster +1
4 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 4 | Bonus Metamagic
5 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 4 | Easy Metamagic -1
6 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 5 | Practiced +2, Endless Casting (1st)
7 | 5 | 2 | 2 | 5 | Irresistible Spell +2
8 | 6/1 | 2 | 2 | 6 | Bonus Metamagic
9 | 6/1 | 3 | 3 | 6 | Practiced Caster + 3
10 | 7/2 | 3 | 3 | 7 | Easy Metamagic -2
11 | 8/3 | 3 | 3 | 7 | Master of Counterspelling
12 | 9/4 | 4 | 4 | 8 | Bonus Metamagic, Practiced Caster + 4, Endless Casting (2nd)
13 | 9/4 | 4 | 4 | 8 | Efficient Casting
14 | 10/5 | 4 | 4 | 9 | Irresistible Spell +3
15 | 11/6/1 | 5 | 5 | 9 | Practiced Caster +6, Easy Metamagic -3
16 | 12/7/2 | 5 | 5 | 10 | Bonus Metamagic
17 | 12/7/2 | 5 | 5 | 10 | Unimpeachable Magic
18 | 13/8/3 | 6 | 6 | 11 | Practiced Caster +6, Endless Casting (3rd)
19 | 14/9/4 | 6 | 6 | 11 | Immediate Spell
20 | 15/10/5 | 6 | 6 | 12 | Bonus Metamagic, Easy Metamagic -4 [/table]
Hit Points: D8
Skills: 4 + Int, X4 at First Level
Class Skills: Spellcraft, Concentration, Knowledge: Arcana, Religion, Nature and the Planes, all Craft Skills, Decipher Script.

Spells
Over the course of his career, the Spellmaster learns fewer spells than any other full casting class; in fact, at any given point the Spellmaster will only have access to a single spell of each level. At all odd levels (except 19th), the Spellmaster learns a single new spell of the highest level he can cast; at all even levels (as well as 19th), the Spellmaster may trade a spell he already knows for another of the same level. The Spellmaster may learn any spell from the Wizard, Sorcerer, Cleric or Druid lists, except for spells whose function is to replicate the effects of other spells - thus, a Spellmaster may not take Shadow Conjuration/Evocation or Anyspell. In the case of spells that have a range of options including replicating other spells - such as Miracle and Wish - the Spellmaster may take them, but is denied those particular options.

The Spellmaster may not learn additional spells, beyond those he gets from Spellmaster class levels, in any way - this includes expanded lists from PrCs or feats that grant additional spells known.

What the Spellmaster lacks in variety, he makes up in ability; through endless practice and study of the tiny number of spells he knows, the Spellmaster perfects his technique and becomes able to cast those few spells more often and easily than any other class.

The DC of a Spellmaster's Spells is equal to 10 + Spell Level + INT

Spellmaster Spells Per Day
{table] Level | 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th
1 | 5| - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
2 | 6| - | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
3 | 7| 5 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
4 | 8| 6 | - | - | - | - | - | - | -
5 | 9| 7 | 5 | - | - | - | - | - | -
6 | - | 8 | 6 | - | - | - | - | - | -
7 | - | 9 | 7 | 5 | - | - | - | - | -
8 | - | 9 | 8 | 6 | - | - | - | - | -
9 | - | 9 | 9 | 7 | 5 | - | - | - | -
10 | - | 9 | 9 | 8 | 6 | - | - | - | -
11 | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 7 | 5 | - | - | -
12 | - | - | 9 | 9 | 8 | 6 | - | - | -
13 | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 7 | 5 | - | -
14 | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 8 | 6 | - | -
15 | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 7 | 5 | -
16 | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 8 | 6 | -
17 | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 7 | 5
18 | - | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 8 | 6
19 | - | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 7
20 | - | - | - | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 9 | 8 [/table]

Class Abilities

Irresistible Spell
The Spellmaster is adept at ensuring that his spells take effect; the DC of all his spells increases by one. At level 7, this increase goes up to two, and at 14, it goes up to 3.

Metamagic Pool
The Spellmaster is adept at the use and manipulation of metamagic; at first level, he gains access to a pool of energy he can use to improve the power of spells he casts. The size of the metamagic pool is equal to twice the Spellmaster's Intelligence Modifier (Minimum 0) - he may use this pool to apply metamagic effects to spells he casts as a Spellmaster, instead of raising the effective level.

This Metamagic Pool refills when the Spellmaster rests, and may be used to cast spells whose effective level is higher than that the Spellmaster can cast.

Rapid Metamagic
The Spellmaster may apply metamagic effects as a free action; it does not increase the casting time of the spell or require advanced preparation.

Reliable Caster
Spellmasters are adept at ensuring that they get their spells off correctly, regardless of circumstance or distraction; Spellmasters may ignore Arcane Spell Failure from wearing armour, and receive a +4 bonus on checks to cast defensively, or to avoid losing a spell if they take damage.

Practiced Caster
The Spellmaster has focused considerable study and resources into every spell he has learned; at level three, and every three levels thereafter, his effective caster level increased by one with all spells he can cast.

Bonus Metamagic
At fourth level, and every four levels thereafter, the Spellmaster receives a bonus metamagic feat of his choosing.

Easy Metamagic
By fifth level, the Spellmaster has become adept at the use of metamagic. Whenever using one or more metamagic feat on a spell he casts as a Spellmaster, the Spellmaster may reduce the total level adjustment of the spell by one, to a minimum of 0. This reduction increases at 10th, 15th and 20th level.

Endless Casting
Ceaseless practice has made the casting of low-level spells an insignificant task; at sixth level, the Spellmaster may cast his 1st level spells at will. At Twelfth level, he may do the same for 2nd-level spells, and at Eighteenth level, he may do the same for 3rd-level spells.

Master of Counterspelling
By 11th Level, the Spellmaster is so familiar with the few spells he has studied that it becomes easier for him to detect or disrupt those same spells when cast by others. This has several effects: First, the Spellmaster is instantly aware whenever a spell he knows is cast (or a spell effect is active) within 100ft of his current position. Secondly, the Spellmaster may attempt to Counterspell as an immediate action, without the need to ready an action the turn before. Finally, the Spellmaster receives a +4 on the relevant check, and the DC of counterspelling a spell cast by the spellmaster is 4 higher.

This ability only applies when using the same spell being cast as the counterspell - the Spellmaster functions normally when using Dispel Magic to counterspell.

Efficient Casting
At 13th level, the Spellmaster learns to cast those spells that require additional input or energy more efficiently; when casting spells that require material or XP components, the Spellmaster pays only half the cost.

Unimpeachable Spell
By Seventeenth, the Spellmaster is learning arts of spellcraft that are beyond even the most powerful of Wizards; he gains access to Unimpeachable Spell, a unique metamagic feat not available to other casters. An Unimpeachable Spell is immune to the effects of counter-spelling or dispelling, even by Disjunction. Furthermore, an Unimpeachable Spell may be cast within an Antimagic Field. An Unimpeachable Spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than normal.

Immediate Spell
At 19th level, the Spellmaster gains access to a unique metamagic feat not available to other casters: Immediate Spell. An Immediate Spell may be any spell with a normal casting time of up to 1 full action; once applied, it is instead cast as an immediate action. An Immediate Spell uses a slot ten levels higher than normal.

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 10:53 PM
With poor spell choice Tier 5, with good spell choice it could be beyond Tier 1

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-10, 11:41 PM
With poor spell choice Tier 5, with good spell choice it could be beyond Tier 1

I figured poor spell choice would cripple it, but I'm curious how you get it beyond Tier 1 (unless you're using spells to emulate other spells. Which I should probably add a clause nixing.)

Also - what would you consider to be good spell choices? (i.e., what would you choose?)

Coidzor
2013-05-10, 11:55 PM
Mid-level to high-level Summon Monster X, Planar Binding/Ally, Lesser Wish.

Might be a decent enough necromancer master due to the bonus to caster level with animate dead.

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 12:06 AM
Either go with a power-buff line and Gish up or become a planar bind monstrosity

A focused Battlefield controller could work too.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 12:09 AM
*Nods*

I may tighten up the heightened caster level, at least to a degree.

Also, considering some more "No one can stop you from casting" stuffs - maybe some way to cast within antimagic fields, even.

EDIT: Ability by ability, are there any that seem particularly useless or overpowered?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 12:14 AM
Either go with a power-buff line and Gish up or become a planar bind monstrosity

A focused Battlefield controller could work too.

*Nods* I wanted this to be a good class for Gishes.

I'm not nearly so familiar with Planar binding.

But... by my understanding of the Tier system... none of those would be tear 1 (They'd still just be doing one thing, however well they did it.)

Which abilities seem particularly useful? Obviously the Easy Metamagic (though, I hope I worded it in such a way that it isn't *that* powerful - it applies to all of them together, not each individually, so you can't pile on eight different metamagic effects for free) and the Metamagic Pool... which others strike you as really powerful?

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 12:19 AM
But... by my understanding of the Tier system... none of those would be tear 1 (They'd still just be doing one thing, however well they did it.)

Binding can call in other full casters, and with your Easy Metamagic you can twin them for free and pull in bigger mobs with your CL increase.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 01:01 AM
Binding can call in other full casters, and with your Easy Metamagic you can twin them for free and pull in bigger mobs with your CL increase.

Eh... by that reasoning, anything with access to Planar Binding (or heaven forbid, Gate) is Tier 1. This guy can do so more easily, but it's not like that stuff (metamagic reducers, caster level increasers) aren't available to other classes.

I'm curious what you think of the other class abilities - whether the "Perfect Counterspelling" thing is at all useful, whether Endless Casting is too much (or if it's irrelevant by the time you get it), whether Unimpeachable Spell and Immediate Magic go too far, and whether Efficient Casting needs to be taken out back and shot.

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 01:41 AM
Eh... by that reasoning, anything with access to Planar Binding (or heaven forbid, Gate) is Tier 1.

You'll notice that everything that has it is. (Sorcerers excepted but with a Binding Sorcerer you can be Tier 1 if it plays differently than most people think of Sorcerers)

This guy can do so more easily, but it's not like that stuff (metamagic reducers, caster level increasers) aren't available to other classes.

This is true but they don't have so many built in (also, please don't think I'm trying to say this class is bad. I rather like it I'm just pointing out what others may see as possible problems. I fully plan on making a Binder one of these as an NPC in my games) and I really do think that it's a playable class in the right sort of games, but anyway on to other fun things (also looking that Easy Metamagic is at level 20 I do think that a potentially free Twin Spell is fair for sticking in a Casting Class all the way to 20 and not PrCing out)

I'm curious what you think of the other class abilities

I notice that Metamagic pool does not have anything saying how often it recharges, it also fails to state if you can cast spells beyond your normal maximum level.

whether the "Perfect Counterspelling" thing is at all useful

Not really. For as few spells as you get and how rarely counterspelling is a viable action it's pointless, keep it in though, it fills table space nicely and surely someone will use it.

whether Endless Casting is too much (or if it's irrelevant by the time you get it),

This one I'm actually quite sure of. That is a remarkably useful (but not broken) ability, say for example when you get it for level one you start throwing Metamagic Orbs of Fire around whenever you happen to not be casting something better, at level 2 with DC upgrades drop some Glitterdust, at level 3 the entire party has haste ALL THE TIME!

whether Unimpeachable Spell

I worry about Forcecage but other than that I can't really think of anything.

and Immediate Magic

Let's assume you take Arcane Thesis for your 4th level spell (we'll call it...wait do you get a Wall Spell by 4th level, that'd be EPIC!) that's at most a 4th level spell you're casting as an immediate. Again you Didn't PrC out, you've kind of earned this. I would worry about some combos (Wall of Ice for instance, though I do think that Wall of Ice actually occupies space so it can only be used as a charge stopper...) but all in all no worse than abrupt jaunt and you're casting that 4th level wall of ice spell that you spent a feat on out of precious 9th level slots.

and whether Efficient Casting needs to be taken out back and shot.

Nope. I mean the worst someone can do is take Wish and start granting 2500xp Wishes for... actually strike that. Ignore the Sage Advive that says you can Wish for Experience and it's all good.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 10:40 AM
You'll notice that everything that has it is. (Sorcerers excepted but with a Binding Sorcerer you can be Tier 1 if it plays differently than most people think of Sorcerers)

Is Planar Ally substanatively worse than Planar Binding? Because if not, that adds Favoured Soul to the list - and if we count Gate, Healer and True Namer as well.

I notice that Metamagic pool does not have anything saying how often it recharges, it also fails to state if you can cast spells beyond your normal maximum level.
I'll clarify that.

Not really. For as few spells as you get and how rarely counterspelling is a viable action it's pointless, keep it in though, it fills table space nicely and surely someone will use it.
I may also give an "Innately sense if the spell is cast near you" option, or somesuch.

I worry about Forcecage but other than that I can't really think of anything.

...why Forcecage? It's already immune to dispelling.

Nope. I mean the worst someone can do is take Wish and start granting 2500xp Wishes for... actually strike that. Ignore the Sage Advive that says you can Wish for Experience and it's all good.

IS a 50% reduction enough to make Wishing for magic items worthwhile?

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 06:59 PM
Edited a few things:

CL Increases halved.
Added ability to cast in Anti-Magic Fields
Clarified the Metamagic Pool
Added bonuses to casting defensively/concentration checks against damage.
Removed "Auto-success Counterspelling" - replaced it with "Auto-sense casting of spells you know, and Counterspell without having readied an action."
Prohibited Spell-Replication spells (Anyspell, Shadow Conjuration, etc)
Added rule that spell list cannot be exapanded by any means (Feats, PrCs, etc.)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-13, 01:32 PM
Figured I'd bump this one more time to see if it gets any attention, then let it fade off into the mists.

Added a description of what I have in mind, and listed the class skills.

So. Reviews. Overpowered? Underpowered? Just Plain Dumb? Are any parts poorly written or confusing?

Analytica
2013-05-13, 03:50 PM
To be honest, this list of spells is more restricted than the capacities of the warlock, which are at-will, or than the wilder. Only the Divine Crusader is this restricted. I would feel odd playing one - it's a magical scholar, who no matter how long they work for it, still never will be able to do "standard" stuff like dispelling or detecting magic.

I would take a leaf from classes like the Beguiler: make up a small list of "must-have" spells that all magic users should have regardless of theme, then add one unique spell per level like this. Your mileage can and will vary though. :smallsmile:

I do think you should playtest it on the forums though. Make a character, then see how it solves some standard set of challenges, chosen with no particular bias towards or away from your set of chosen spells.

I also think the "cannot gain more spells known" thing is inelegant, there aren't really any other classes with such a blanket mechanic. If anything, I would instead specify this class can take feats to gain extra spells known.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-13, 06:08 PM
To be honest, this list of spells is more restricted than the capacities of the warlock, which are at-will, or than the wilder. Only the Divine Crusader is this restricted. I would feel odd playing one - it's a magical scholar, who no matter how long they work for it, still never will be able to do "standard" stuff like dispelling or detecting magic.

Huh- I actually figured that Dispel Magic is something this class might go for, just as it's such a useful spell. They don't get huge bonuses to it, though.

I would take a leaf from classes like the Beguiler: make up a small list of "must-have" spells that all magic users should have regardless of theme, then add one unique spell per level like this. Your mileage can and will vary though. :smallsmile:

That makes sense - any suggestions for what such spells would be?

I do think you should playtest it on the forums though. Make a character, then see how it solves some standard set of challenges, chosen with no particular bias towards or away from your set of chosen spells.
Hmm... I'd like to do that, but I feel like it might be difficult to organize, especially with the games I'm already running.

I also think the "cannot gain more spells known" thing is inelegant, there aren't really any other classes with such a blanket mechanic. If anything, I would instead specify this class can take feats to gain extra spells known.

So, my worry on that was this:

This class gets a *lot* to the spells it already has - after 20 levels, as written, he's casing 3rd level spells at +3 caster level, +5 save DCs, that can't be dispelled and function inside antimagic fields, with 4 free levels of metamagic, and no limit on usages per day.

...actually, when I list it, it sounds like too much already. >_>

Anyway, given those benefits, spending a single feat for an extra spell is suddenly a huge advantage, far beyond what a feat would normally be.

Worse yet, look at PrCs. A single level of Sand Shaper would lose this guy a little bit - he'd only get 3 levels of free metamagic and +4 saves. But, in exchange, he'd get five times as many spells known, thus breaking the only real limiting factor on this class.

Analytica
2013-05-14, 03:06 PM
Huh- I actually figured that Dispel Magic is something this class might go for, just as it's such a useful spell. They don't get huge bonuses to it, though.
That makes sense - any suggestions for what such spells would be?

From the SRD, I would probably do something like:

0 - detect magic, read magic, message, arcane mark, prestidigitation
1 - alarm, identify, magic aura
2 - obscure object, misdirection, whispering wind
3 - dispel magic, nondetection, arcane sight
4 - remove curse, detect scrying, scrying
5 - break enchantment, sending, permanency
6 - greater dispel magic, analyze dweomer, contingency
7 - greater arcane sight, greater scrying, spell turning
8 - protection from spells
9 - disjunction

i.e. things that involve manipulating magic, defending against and understanding/interpreting the magic of others, ways to undo the spells of others, and some basic communication and divination magic. Maybe drop the scrying and communication spells though.

This class gets a *lot* to the spells it already has - after 20 levels, as written, he's casing 3rd level spells at +3 caster level, +5 save DCs, that can't be dispelled and function inside antimagic fields, with 4 free levels of metamagic, and no limit on usages per day.

...actually, when I list it, it sounds like too much already. >_>

Anyway, given those benefits, spending a single feat for an extra spell is suddenly a huge advantage, far beyond what a feat would normally be.

Worse yet, look at PrCs. A single level of Sand Shaper would lose this guy a little bit - he'd only get 3 levels of free metamagic and +4 saves. But, in exchange, he'd get five times as many spells known, thus breaking the only real limiting factor on this class.

I guess, though for a lot of spells, none of those bonuses really have any effect. They play a part in spells you use against others or in combat, or where you really need duration to last, but for a lot of utility magic, this might matter less. I see your point though. :smallsmile:

Zaydos
2013-05-14, 05:08 PM
I'd definitely give them Detect Magic as an at-will ability, either as a spell or spell-like ability. I'd say be careful about giving them too many free spells though, or else you end up with more spells known than a sorcerer.

I'd also worry a little about giving them the ability to cast in Antimagic. Mostly because that means that come 17th level they could just start casting Antimagic and be in full buffs in a place where no one else could have any. I'd rather give them a CL check to dispel the Antimagic as part of casting a spell. Give them a way around Antimagic without just saying no.

I'd also say that +6 to save DCs is probably stronger than +6 to CL. What are you trying to do with the save DC increase? Keep your low level SoL applicable? In that case I'd suggest a smaller bonus to save DCs (maybe only +1) and a free heighten spell effect that applies to your spells to bring them up to your highest level or near it. Another suggestion would be to switch them to +3 to DCs and +6 to CL. I know I for one only really look for CL boosts after I've ran out of DC boosts or if I'm using spells where I don't care much if they make the save (either because there isn't one or because it's Reflex halves and at high levels Reflex tends to be the low save).

Other than that it's a little sad they don't get the ability to swap spells like a sorcerer, but fits with the fluff and would help mitigate the AMF thing except that most games that get to 17th level start at 15+.

One idea, though, is that you might give them (scaling) bonuses to saves/SR or even flat-out immunity against spells they know meaning that other casters couldn't use those specific spells on them, as a means of showing their absolute mastery of that spell. Just an idea.

Finally maybe let them learn Sorcerer only spells. Some of those are flavor based (Wings of X) some are mechanics (the ones that let you cast 2 lower level spells known as one action). Not sure if this is too much (look at Wings of Cover and Flurry now think about how the first works as at-will and the 2nd works with metamagic reducers) but I know my first thought for 4th level spell was Wings of Flurry.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-14, 07:33 PM
I'd also worry a little about giving them the ability to cast in Antimagic. Mostly because that means that come 17th level they could just start casting Antimagic and be in full buffs in a place where no one else could have any. I'd rather give them a CL check to dispel the Antimagic as part of casting a spell. Give them a way around Antimagic without just saying no.

Rewrote that one as another unique metamagic feat, with a +3 spell level increase. Think that works, or does it really need to go all the way to "You or the AMF, not both?"

I'd also say that +6 to save DCs is probably stronger than +6 to CL. What are you trying to do with the save DC increase? Keep your low level SoL applicable? In that case I'd suggest a smaller bonus to save DCs (maybe only +1) and a free heighten spell effect that applies to your spells to bring them up to your highest level or near it. Another suggestion would be to switch them to +3 to DCs and +6 to CL. I know I for one only really look for CL boosts after I've ran out of DC boosts or if I'm using spells where I don't care much if they make the save (either because there isn't one or because it's Reflex halves and at high levels Reflex tends to be the low save).

...actually, yeah, I'd made that decision in kind of a stupid way. (First I wanted them to function at first level, and I thought a caster level boost might be good; then I realized that +2 caster level at first level meant that a lot of things wouldn't survive a single spell from them, so I nerfed it.) I wanted them to have something that increased DCs because I figure they generally won't have the versatility to always be targeting weak saves. Anyway, I just swapped the numbers on those for now.

Other than that it's a little sad they don't get the ability to swap spells like a sorcerer, but fits with the fluff and would help mitigate the AMF thing except that most games that get to 17th level start at 15+.

...where'd you get that idea? They can swap spells at even levels (and maybe 19th.)

One idea, though, is that you might give them (scaling) bonuses to saves/SR or even flat-out immunity against spells they know meaning that other casters couldn't use those specific spells on them, as a means of showing their absolute mastery of that spell. Just an idea.

I figured that was covered by their counterspelling abilities, but I might add something like that, too.

Finally maybe let them learn Sorcerer only spells. Some of those are flavor based (Wings of X) some are mechanics (the ones that let you cast 2 lower level spells known as one action). Not sure if this is too much (look at Wings of Cover and Flurry now think about how the first works as at-will and the 2nd works with metamagic reducers) but I know my first thought for 4th level spell was Wings of Flurry.

Right now they can learn any Wizard, Sorcerer, Cleric or Druid spell; I basically wanted to give them total spell access, without all the tricks of "Well, bards/rangers/paladins can cast that at as a 3rd level spell because they won't get it until 12th level anyways."