PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac Kenshido

Razanir
2013-05-10, 07:52 PM
Get ready for the single most brillient weapon idea EVAR!!!!!11!11!

That's right, folks. I've decided to stat up Fighter McWarrior's insanlee awsum signature weapon, the SWORDCHUCK!

The blue text is supposed to be a parody of when some posters (myself included) will purposely use red text in conspiracy-type threads to make it look like the mods are hiding something.

SWORDCHUCK
Exotic One-Handed Weapon
Cost: 40 gp
Dmg (S): 1d4
Dmg (M): 1d6
Critical: Special
Range: –
Weight: 5 lbs
Damage Type: S

Special rules: Seeing as these are nunchucks made of swords, they are exceedingly dangerous weapons to use. Their threat range is 16-20 (x3 damage). Yes, that IS a 25% chance to threaten even before feats. There's a catch, though. If your attack roll is a natural 1, 2 or 3, you deal 1d6 damage to yourself instead. Even more dangerous is the fact that if you roll that low on a critical confirmation roll, you deal critical damage to yourself (although only x2).

FEATS
Swordchuck Dexterity
Prerequisite: Weapon Focus (Swordchuck), Dex 15
Benefit: You no longer risk landing a critical hit on yourself when wielding swordchucks. You still take normal damage if you fumble on the critical confirmation roll

Greater Swordchuck Dexterity
Prerequisite: Swordchuck Dexterity, Weapon Specialization (Swordchuck), Dex 20
Benefit: You (somehow) no longer risk injuring yourself when wielding swordchucks

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 10:06 PM
Their threat range is 16-20 (x3 damage). Yes, that IS a 25% chance to threaten even before feats.

Keen Everything Burst Swordchucks have just become tasty

There's a catch, though. If your attack roll is a natural 1, 2 or 3, you deal 1d6 damage to yourself instead.

Weapon damage to yourself would be better here, especially since I will be making Keen Everything Burst Swordchucks

Even more dangerous is the fact that if you roll that low on a critical confirmation roll, you deal critical damage to yourself (although only x2).

Fail a critical confirmation roll is better phrasing for this, also, why not full crit damage?

FEATS
Swordchuck Dexterity
Prerequisite: Weapon Focus (Swordchuck), Dex 15
Benefit: You no longer risk landing a critical hit on yourself when wielding swordchucks. You still take normal damage if you fumble on the critical confirmation roll

Greater Swordchuck Dexterity
Prerequisite: Swordchuck Dexterity, Weapon Specialization (Swordchuck), Dex 20
Benefit: You (somehow) no longer risk injuring yourself when wielding swordchucks

So for 5 Feats you have a 16-20 weapon that you no longer damage yourself with.

I fail to see that these feats are ever worth taking, accept the damage risk, 5 feats of Improved Toughness would be more effective at preventing this damage, you need to make the benefit bigger or the detrimental effects more severe as it is there is literally no reason for a critfisher not to take this with an Exotic feat and ignore the damage. (Especially if he takes the Vampiric Enchantment.)

Edit: In hindsight I am now aware that this is mostly a joke... I still maintain my statements about balance, even for a joke item.

Razanir
2013-05-10, 11:32 PM
So for 5 Feats you have a 16-20 weapon that you no longer damage yourself with.

I fail to see that these feats are ever worth taking, accept the damage risk, 5 feats of Improved Toughness would be more effective at preventing this damage, you need to make the benefit bigger or the detrimental effects more severe as it is there is literally no reason for a critfisher not to take this with an Exotic feat and ignore the damage. (Especially if he takes the Vampiric Enchantment.)

Edit: In hindsight I am now aware that this is mostly a joke... I still maintain my statements about balance, even for a joke item.

It's semi-joke, semi-serious. I was trying to make an item that you very likely will injure yourself by using. In hindsight, I went about that all wrong. It's probably just bump up the damage a bit with a large crit range, but just have it damage the user. Meh. I'll just write up a more serious, more balanced version in the morning