PDA

View Full Version : the prodigy

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 09:32 PM
ok, a while ago i came up with the idea for this class, and i made it before i even heard the term homebrew i'm not an experienced player, so there's probably lots of balance issues
it's my first ever homebrew class, and since it i've made a few more, but i still like this the most

so without further adieu

Prodigy
Born to aspire to great feats of magic, a prodigy easily over powers any other arcane or divine spell caster, however since they cannot be taught and are usually from a very non-magical area they learn very little spells as opposed to any other spell casters, but because of their extreme magical prowess they have no limit to how many times they can cast the same spell over and over again

Adventures
Many prodigies become adventurers just for the sheer thrill of it, many sorcerers claim to be descendent from dragons and if that is true then a prodigy is the descendent of multiple dragons and a couple of demigods. Prodigies can be any race and any alignment however characters from the savage races are less likely to be prodigies

Characteristics
Prodigies have an unlimited magical reservoir within them and will often learn to use weapons from other classes to make up for the small amount of spells they do know. they will listen to any story of great magical feats and then think of how to achieve them with the spells they know.

Alignment
Prodigies are usually chaotic, for the simple fact that if they are lawful then they have to obey every law that they know, they are also usually neutral because if they are good then they must be kind to most people, but if they are evil the must be cruel instead

Religion
Prodigies believe that they were blessed by the gods so they will often choose one or two but still pray to many more simply because they think that if they pray to more than one god then obviously they cant miss the one that blessed them with their powers

Background
Prodigies are born not made, they are descendants of either; powerful spell casters, dragons, demigods, people blessed by gods or all of the above. As well as being blessed themselves.

Races
A prodigy can be any race as long as they were from powerful ancestry, their parents were extremely devout or the family was just smiled upon by a god. Half-orcs are uncommon unless they were raised by humans but some still exist within orcish settlements.

Other classes
The prodigy is usually the youngest in a travelling party and will have been told to respect their elders, so they look up to and learn from any people older than them in the group, although this proves problematic for elves, who, no mater how young, will probably still be older than most of the others. They don’t care what class someone is because they realise that all classes have their purpose, however they prefer rogues, bards, rangers and druids because of what they can tell them.

Role
A prodigy serves much the same roll in an adventuring party as a sorcerer or wizard would. they are much more limited in their abilities compared to the spell selection of other spell casters, and must rely on the fact that they can just keep casting the same spells with out running out of uses for it. Like a bard, they often fit best in a party that already has another spell caster or two, since their unique abilities provide them with very little diversity in magic to use for their companions benefit.

Game rule information
Prodigies have the following game statistics:
Abilities: a high charisma score makes a prodigies thirst for knowledge easier to satisfy. A prodigy also benefits from a high dexterity and constitution scores
Alignment: any
Hit die: D4

Class skills
The prodigies class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are bluff (cha), concentration (con), disguise (cha), intimidate (cha) knowledge (arcana) (int) knowledge (divine) (int) sense motive (wis) diplomacy (con) and use magical device (cha)
Skill points at 1st level: (6+int modifier) X 4
Skill points at each additional level 6 + int modifier

Class features
All the following are class features of the prodigy

Weapon and armour proficiency: prodigies are proficient with up to five simple weapons, up to three martial weapons (of the players choice) and up to one exotic weapon (of the players choice) however they cannot become proficient in any other weapons unless they multiclass. they are proficient with light armour but not with shields.
Because of their inquisitive nature prodigies figure out how to by pass the spell failure while wearing light armour (usually before adventuring) but not medium or heavy armour

Metamagic feats: a prodigy cannot get any metamagic feats until at least level 10

Spells: a prodigy has no spells per day, instead they have a small amount of spells that they can use infinitely, they can swap one spell for another but only when they level up and the spell they swapped from is forgotten, they can only have a maximum of 3 damaging spells and 3 healing spells

Sneak attack: if a prodigy can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from the prodigies attack, the prodigy can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Basically, the prodigies attack deals extra damage any time their target would be denied a dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target has a dexterity bonus or not), or when the prodigy flanks their target. This extra damage 1d6 at 1st level and an extra d6 at ever level divisible by four thereafter. Should the prodigy score a critical hit with a sneak attack this extra damage is not multiplied
Ranged attacks can count as a sneak attack only if the target is within 30 feet. A prodigy cant strike with deadly accuracy from beyond that range.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a prodigy can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage. They cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty, because they must make optimal use of her weapon in order to execute a sneak attack
A prodigy can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies- undead, constructs, oozes, plants and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The prodigy must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

eschew materials: a prodigy needs no material components for a spell

Multi-class: you cannot multi-class into any thing except a prodigy prestige class

i dont know how to insert a table, so this might not look as neat as it could ><

level , base attack bonus, Fort save, Ref save, Will save, special

1, +0, +0, +2, +0, Learn 3 tier 1 spells, Sneak attack +1d6, spell shape, spell coating, still spell and silent spell

2, +1, +0, +3, +0, Learn 2 tier 1 spells, sticky spell

3, +2, +1, +3, +1, Learn 1 tier 1 spell, tongues

4, +3, +1, +4, +1, Learn 2 tier 1 spells, Sneak attack +2d6

5, +3, +1, +4, +1, Learn 1 tier 2 or lower spell

6, +4, +2, +5, +2, Learn 1 tier 2 or lower spells

7, +5, +2, +5, +2, Learn 1 tier 2 or lower spell

8, +6/+1, +2, +6, +2, Learn 2 tier 2 or lower spells, Sneak attack +3d6

9, +6/+1, +3, +6, +3, Learn 2 tier 2 or lower spell

10, +7/+2, +3, +7, +3, Learn 1 tier 3 or lower spells, learn limited wish

11, +8/+3, +3, +7, +3, Learn 1 tier 3 0r lower spell

12, +9/+4, +4, +8, +4, Learn 1 tier 3 or lower spells, Sneak attack +4d6

13, +9/+4, +4, +8, +4, Learn 1 tier 3 or lower spell

14, +10/+5, +4, +9, +4, Learn 2 tier 3 or lower spells

15, +11/+6/+1, +5, +9, +5, Learn 2 tier 3 or lower spells, tracker spell

16, +12/+7/+2, +5, +10, +5, Learn 2 tier 3 or lower spells, Sneak attack +5d6

17, +12/+7/+2, +5, +10, +5, Learn 1 tier 4 spell

18, +13/+8/+3, +6, +11, +6, Learn 1 tier 4 spells

19, +14/+9/+4, +6, +11, +6, Learn 1 tier 4 spell

20, +15/+10/+5, +6, +12, +6, Learn 2 spells of 5th tier, learn wish/miracle, Sneak attack +6d6,

Tier spells
There are 5 tiers of spell, they are from the sorcerer/wizard and cleric spell set
1st tier has 0-2nd lvl spells
2nd tier has 3-4 lvl spells
3rd tier has 5-6 lvl spells
4th tier has 7-8 lvl spells
5th tier has 9 lvl spels
wish, limited wish, and miracle are not include inside these tiers, and when a prodigy learns one of them they can cast it once, but can then never learn it again

Sticky spell:
Special ability: if a prodigy touches a surface they can implant a spell on to the surface and activate it at any time they want, lasts up to 24 hours, if they use an unarmed strike against an opponent they may use sticky spell even if they did not roll armour class

Spell shape:
Special ability: a prodigy may make a spell take any shape they choose, for example a prodigy might turn a fire ball into a fire sword so they can add their base attack bonus to the attack.

Spell coating:
Special ability: a prodigy may coat a weapon with a spell which activates when it makes contact with an object or creature

tracker spell:
Special ability: as sticky spell but does not have to touch object, however object must be within line of sight

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 09:37 PM
I think what you have done here is make a Teir OMG version of the Warlock.

I like the idea, but the balance needs a lot of work that I'd be more than willing to help you with if you like, but seriously look at the Warlock, maybe homebrew some invocations. I think it will suit your purpose divinely.

Edit: Warlock is in Complete Arcane by the way.

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 09:45 PM
yeah, but i think i made about 20 different prestige classes for it, for a maximum level without becoming epic in any of them of around 230..
i can post some of the prestiges too, if people want

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 10:17 PM
I like the idea, but the balance needs a lot of work that I'd be more than willing to help you with if you like, but seriously look at the Warlock, maybe homebrew some invocations. I think it will suit your purpose divinely.

i'd love some help with the balance, since it's probably the part i have the most difficulty with i tend to go a bit overboard

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-10, 10:30 PM
First off, obligatory table link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205677)

Alright, let's have a look.

Alignment

Let me stop you right here.

Prodigies are usually chaotic, for the simple fact that if they are lawful then they have to obey every law that they know,

Hell no. Lawful is about having a code and sticking to it. It has very little to do with actual Law. Rename it to Order and you're half-way there.

they are also usually neutral because if they are good then they must be kind to most people, but if they are evil the must be cruel instead

Again. No. You can have an utter arse that is generaly reviled, who nonetheless will be the first to take up arms against injustice, just as much as you can have a guy who's well liked and the soul of courtesy who is planning to brutaly enslave your entire town.

Game rule information
Abilities: a high charisma score makes a prodigies thirst for knowledge easier to satisfy. A prodigy also benefits from a high dexterity and constitution scores

Looks fine here.

Class skills
The prodigies class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are bluff (cha), concentration (con), disguise (cha), intimidate (cha) knowledge (arcana) (int) knowledge (divine) (int) sense motive (wis) diplomacy (con) and use magical device (cha)

No, doesn't look right. Give them all the Knowledges and it'll look better.

Class features

Weapon and armour proficiency: prodigies are proficient with up to five simple weapons, up to three martial weapons (of the players choice) and up to one exotic weapon (of the players choice) however they cannot become proficient in any other weapons unless they multiclass. they are proficient with light armour but not with shields.
Because of their inquisitive nature prodigies figure out how to by pass the spell failure while wearing light armour (usually before adventuring) but not medium or heavy armour

Give them all simple weapons Cut the multiclass thing and Exotic weapon.

Metamagic feats: a prodigy cannot get any metamagic feats until at least level 10

Superflous, they have no spell slots, thus cannot make use of Metamatic.

Spells: a prodigy has no spells per day, instead they have a small amount of spells that they can use infinitely, they can swap one spell for another but only when they level up and the spell they swapped from is forgotten, they can only have a maximum of 3 damaging spells and 3 healing spells

Um. What can I say? This is broken. So broken that god himself cannot put it back together. The fact that you consider damage and healing to be worth limiting is... laughable. I'm sorry but it is, there are way better things to do with unlimited spells. Polymorph, Summon, Planar Binding, just to name a few.

Sneak attack: if a prodigy can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from the prodigies attack, the prodigy can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Basically, the prodigies attack deals extra damage any time their target would be denied a dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target has a dexterity bonus or not), or when the prodigy flanks their target. This extra damage 1d6 at 1st level and an extra d6 at ever level divisible by four thereafter. Should the prodigy score a critical hit with a sneak attack this extra damage is not multiplied
Ranged attacks can count as a sneak attack only if the target is within 30 feet. A prodigy cant strike with deadly accuracy from beyond that range.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a prodigy can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage. They cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty, because they must make optimal use of her weapon in order to execute a sneak attack
A prodigy can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies- undead, constructs, oozes, plants and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The prodigy must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

This seems... tacked on.

I really hope you mean they just get it as a bonus feat.

Multi-class: you cannot multi-class into any thing except a prodigy prestige class

Possibly the first good limiter you've had so far. But, it shouldn't exist.

Tier spells
There are 5 tiers of spell, they are from the sorcerer/wizard and cleric spell set
5th tier has 9 lvl spels
wish, limited wish, and miracle are not include inside these tiers, and when a prodigy learns one of them they can cast it once, but can then never learn it again

Only one Miracle? Yet we have unlimited Gate?

Sticky spell:
Special ability: if a prodigy touches a surface they can implant a spell on to the surface and activate it at any time they want, lasts up to 24 hours, if they use an unarmed strike against an opponent they may use sticky spell even if they did not roll armour class

Spell shape:
Special ability: a prodigy may make a spell take any shape they choose, for example a prodigy might turn a fire ball into a fire sword so they can add their base attack bonus to the attack.

Spell coating:
Special ability: a prodigy may coat a weapon with a spell which activates when it makes contact with an object or creature

tracker spell:
Special ability: as sticky spell but does not have to touch object, however object must be within line of sight

...Yeah, gonna have to explain these.

My final verdict? Poor. Very poor. Far too much power in play, like a Warlock on Super Soldier serum. If I'm honest, this is unsalvageable. A nice idea, but in practice it just falls apart.

But, don't be disheartened. Use this experience to tell you what not to do for a Homebrew. All you have to do I try again. It's how we all learn.

The Mentalist
2013-05-10, 10:40 PM
-snip-

Fluffy bits are fluffy.

Game rule information

All is well here

Class skills

All classes get Craft and Profession as class skills, unless there is some reason to break that tradition it's really best not to. Even Barbarians get those skills.

Class features

Free Exotic weapons on a casting class is probably unneeded clutter.

And cast in light armor from level one, with the power level you're currently working at this is not at all something that they need. Though we'll stick a pin in it for later use when we bring this to playable.

A Prodigy should probably never get metamagic feats considering they'd use them freely and Twin and Repeat rear their ugly heads very quickly.

Spells: a prodigy has no spells per day, instead they have a small amount of spells that they can use infinitely, they can swap one spell for another but only when they level up and the spell they swapped from is forgotten,

It may be best to standardize the unlearning of spells and use the language from the Bard class on it.

they can only have a maximum of 3 damaging spells and 3 healing spells

These will not be at all your problems in the casting world. Don't limit them, there's no point.

Sneak attack:

This probably does not belong here either with the theme of the class (such as it is)

No components at all? That's getting into the touchy territory that I will explain in the coming moments. Perhaps this as a bonus feat and not just "no material components at all" although it does fit the flavor of the class so maybe we can bring it into line too.

How about burn 1xp for every gp of the component?

Earlier you said they could multiclass and gain new proficiencies?

level , base attack bonus, Fort save, Ref save, Will save, special

Why a low will and high reflex? High will is traditional for casters.

Tier spells
5th tier has 9 lvl spels

And this is where you broke balance over your knee. Any spell from the two best spell lists in the game?

Lvl 1: Sleep, Grease, and Colorspray, you have won the next 4 levels with just that.

Then comes the Glitterdust, the Disintegrate, the Forcecage, the Evard's Black Tentacles, the list goes on. This needs a reduced spell list or it is unstoppably good.

Sticky spell:

The best way to do this is "You may deliver any spell as a touch attack"

Spell shape:

As phrased this does nothing at all. I think the way you want to do this (It's not very clear) is to say that "you may shape any spell into the form of a melee weapon and deal it's effect on attack for 1 round per 2 Prodigy levels

Spell coating:

This needs a daily limit or you're going to have every character in your party throwing Shurikens two handed to drop massive spells per round. This breaks the action economy, maybe make this a once per day per 6 levels sort of thing or make it only on magic weapons.

tracker spell:

This is basically just "Reach Spell" and not as broken as a lot of stuff here.

Where would you like to go from here. Maybe it'd be easier to convert the PrCs into Warlock PrCs than to rebuild this (though it can be mostly fixed by daily limits and a reduced spell list)

Somensjev
2013-05-10, 11:21 PM
firstly, i wrote the fluff to please my dm he's not the brightest of people, and those were his descriptions of lawful, good, evil, etc

i know it's overpowered, so i want to make it less so, although, i never noticed the spell combinations, so i may have to change that around a bit, somehow

with sicky spell, think of it like a delayed touch spell that can be activated a will

i didnt notice craft and profession

the exotic weapon can go if needed, i just liked the extra variety it gives people

with metamagic feats, i was thinking of using it with only one metamagic feat per every few hours or something, and it takes longer to cast the spell

sneak attack is possible to remove, it's not really important

the xp burn for material components sounds like a good idea

with the multiclass wording problems, they can only get levels in prodigy classes (1 base class and around 20 or so prestige)

"you may shape any spell into the form of a melee weapon and deal it's effect on attack for 1 round per 2 Prodigy levels" that sounds like what i wanted to do with spell shape

and a daily limit to spell coating sound just fine

Somensjev
2013-05-11, 03:37 AM
ok, just as a warning, there are exactly 19 prestige classes for this class

they are; combat prodigy, mounted prodigy, weapon prodigy, wild prodigy, unarmed prodigy, artificer prodigy, arcane prodigy, divine prodigy, ranged prodigy, silent prodigy, wayward prodigy, dragon prodigy, extraplanar prodigy, musical prodigy, winged prodigy
then there's also prodigious novice, prodigious adept, prodigious expert and finally prodigious master

why did i make so many ><

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 08:36 AM
If it's not too much trouble post them for me, in this thread so we don't overpopulate the forums... I'm seeing a way to balance this shape up quite nicely.

Somensjev
2013-05-11, 09:04 AM
i'll post them one by one

combat prodigy

A master of offensive magic, the combat prodigy is a warrior with no weapons, instead using spells as weapons for the same effect. Instead of just being a prodigy in all areas they have now become more skilled at using damaging spells. One combat prodigy could take down numerous fighters of the same or lesser level, because they could cut down one enemy with a cone of fire axe and then remove the axe shaping from the spell and release the cone of fire upon his unsuspecting enemies.
NPC combat prodigies often lead a group of elite fighters and one alone would be a problem for any adventuring party.

Hit die:
D8

Requirements:
To become a combat prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Class: prodigy
BAB +3
feats: weapon finesse (magic), two weapon fighting
spells ability to cast at least tier 2 spells
special must have spent at least one week in the company of a wizard/ sorcerer

level BAB, Fort save, Ref save, Will save, special
1 +1, +0, +2, +0, Plus 7 offensive spells of any known tier
2 +2, +0, +3, +0, Double spell power
3 +3, +1, +3, +1, Improved two weapon fighting
4 +4, +1, +4, +1, Two weapon defence
5 +5, +1, +4, +1, Enlarge spell
6 +6, +2, +5, +2, Triple spell power
7 +7, +2, +5, +2, Greater two weapon fighting
8 +8, +2, +6, +2, Bonus feat
9 +9, +3, +6, +3, Bonus feat
10 +10, +3, +7, +3, Quadruple spell power

Somensjev
2013-05-11, 09:08 AM
with the double, triple and quadruple spellpower, treat it like a normal spell shape has no critical, and once you gain double spell power it becomes a 19-20/x2crit, triple power is 19-20/x3crit, quadruple power is 19-20/x4crit

a prodigies spell can only take the shape of a weapon they're proficient with, and is treated exactly like a weapon of that type, except for criticals, and the spell damage

Moonwolf727
2013-05-11, 03:03 PM
The Prodigy
Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Learn 3 tier 1 spells, Sneak attack +1d6, spell shape, spell coating, still spell and silent spell
2|+1|+0|+3|+0|Learn 2 tier 1 spells, sticky spell
3|+2|+1|+3|+1|Learn 1 tier 1 spell, tongues
4|+3|+1|+4|+1|Learn 2 tier 1 spells, Sneak attack +2d6
5|+3|+1|+4|+1|Learn 1 tier 2 or lower spell
6|+4|+2|+5|+2|Learn 1 tier 2 or lower spells
7|+5|+2|+5|+2|Learn 1 tier 2 or lower spell
8|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Learn 2 tier 2 or lower spells, Sneak attack +3d6
9|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Learn 2 tier 2 or lower spell
10|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Learn 1 tier 3 or lower spells, learn limited wish
11|+8/+3|+3|+7|+3|Learn 1 tier 3 0r lower spell
12|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Learn 1 tier 3 or lower spells, Sneak attack +4d6
13|+9/+4|+4|+8|+4|Learn 1 tier 3 or lower spell
14|+10/+5|+4|+9|+4|Learn 2 tier 3 or lower spells
15|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+5|Learn 2 tier 3 or lower spells, tracker spell
16|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Learn 2 tier 3 or lower spells, Sneak attack +5d6
17|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|Learn 1 tier 4 spell
18|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|Learn 1 tier 4 spells
19|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Learn 1 tier 4 spell
20|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Learn 2 spells of 5th tier, learn wish/miracle, Sneak attack +6d6

Combat Prodigy
{table]level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|special
1|+1|+0|+2|+0|Plus 7 offensive spells of any known tier
2|+2|+0|+3|+0|Double spell power
3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Improved two weapon fighting
4|+4|+1|+4|+1|Two weapon defence
5|+5|+1|+4|+1|Enlarge spell
6|+6|+2|+5|+2|Triple spell power
7|+7|+2|+5|+2|Greater two weapon fighting
8|+8|+2|+6|+2|Bonus feat
9|+9|+3|+6|+3|Bonus feat
10|+10|+3|+7|+3|Quadruple spell power
[/table]

Weapon Prodigy

{table]level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+0|+1|+0|Two weapon defence, proficiency with all weapons
2|+2|+0|+2|+0|Bonus feat
3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Bonus feat
4|+4|+1|+4|+1|Improved two weapon fighting
5|+5|+1|+5|+1|Bonus feat
6|+6|+2|+6|+2|Bonus feat
7|+7|+2|+7|+2|Greater two weapon fighting
8|+8|+2|+8|+2|Bonus feat
9|+9|+3|+9|+3|Bonus feat
10|+10|+3|+10|+3|Bonus feat
[/table]

Mounted Prodigy

{table]level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+0|+1|+0|Special mount
2|+2|+0|+2|+0|Ride by attack
3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Bonus spell
4|+4|+1|+4|+1|Bonus spell
5|+5|+1|+5|+1|Spirited charge
6|+6|+2|+6|+2|Bonus feat
7|+7|+2|+7|+2|Bonus spell
8|+8|+2|+8|+2|Bonus spell
9|+9|+3|+9|+3|trample
10|+10|+3|+10|+3|Bonus spell
[/table]

the wild prodigy

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|special
1|+1|+0|+1|+0|Animal companion
2|+2|+0|+2|+0|Bonus feat
3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Bonus spell
4|+4|+1|+4|+1|Bonus spell
5|+5|+1|+5|+1|Second animal companion
6|+6|+2|+6|+2|Bonus spell
7|+7|+2|+7|+2|Bonus spell
8|+8|+2|+8|+2|Bonus spell
9|+9|+3|+9|+3|Bonus spell
10|+10|+3|+10|+3|Third animal companion
[/table]

unarmed prodigy

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+0|+1|+0|improved sticky spell
2|+2|+0|+2|+0|Improved unarmed strike
3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Improved grapple, purity of the body, diamond body, diamond soul
4|+4|+1|+4|+1|Greater sticky spell
5|+5|+1|+5|+1|Deflect arrows, quivering palm
6|+6|+2|+6|+2|Timeless body
7|+7|+2|+7|+2|Snatch arrows
8|+8|+2|+8|+2|Empty body
9|+9|+3|+9|+3|Stunning fist
10|+10|+3|+10|+3|Perfect body
[/table]

I made those two paragraphs of text into tables for you :D
If you add any more that aren't tables yet I'll convert them and add them to this post when I get the chance. Have fun and good luck with the classes :smallwink:

Somensjev
2013-05-11, 08:42 PM
I made those two paragraphs of text into tables for you :D
If you add any more that aren't tables yet I'll convert them and add them to this post when I get the chance. Have fun and good luck with the classes :smallwink:

thank you so much :smallbiggrin:

i'll start posting up more, i just cant be bothered trying to make the table :smalltongue:

Somensjev
2013-05-11, 08:58 PM
ok, the next one is the weapon prodigy

Weapon prodigies have learnt more from fighters and guards then anyone would want them to know, they have become efficient killing machines that can coat their weapons and armour in spells to make them more powerful than ever, they are often hired out as bodyguards because of their effectiveness in keeping out unwanted people, however they cannot be paid in gold, they must be paid in knowledge.

Hit die:
D12

Requirements:
To become a weapon prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Base attack bonus: +3
Feats: weapon finesse (magic), two weapon fighting
Spells: ability to cast tier 2 spells
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a fighter

level, BAB, Fort save, Ref save, Will save, special
1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Two weapon defence, proficiency with all weapons
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Bonus feat
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Bonus feat
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Improved two weapon fighting
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Bonus feat
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, Bonus feat
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Greater two weapon fighting
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, Bonus feat
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, Bonus feat
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Bonus feat

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 09:11 PM
Hit die:
D12

Okay... Barbarian HD, better be a good reason.

Feats: weapon finesse (magic),
This feat does not exist.

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Two weapon defence, proficiency with all weapons
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Bonus feat
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Improved two weapon fighting
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Bonus feat
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Greater two weapon fighting
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, Bonus feat
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, Bonus feat

God no. All weapons? Including Exotics? Too many bonus feats. Reduce it to one every third level, Reflex Save increases too quickly, You might consider doing multiple combat paths (if this is salvageable)

You take a basis of infinite spellcasting and abandon that for more bonus feats than a Fighter gets in 20 levels. This does not work at all. Though this actually would be a reduction in power over the base class (which it needs to be)

Go look at the Warlock before you come back to this project, it's exactly what you're trying to make here but at levels of power that don't give me a headache.

Also read This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150609)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 09:20 PM
Yikes. Where to begin.

Class skills
Skill points at each additional level 6 + int modifier [quote]

I'd scale back those skill points a bit, but it isn't a major thing. I suppose that having fewer knowledge skills sort of makes sense, if these are "Instinctual" casters.

[QUOTE]

...I actually like this way of doing things more than the 3.5 standard, but it isn't a change you should tack on to a single class - either get your DM to house-rule in Weapon Group Proficiencies, or live with things they way they are.

Why?

a prodigy has no spells per day, instead they have a small amount of spells that they can use infinitely, they can swap one spell for another but only when they level up and the spell they swapped from is forgotten, they can only have a maximum of 3 damaging spells and 3 healing spells

Way, way, way too powerful. For comparison, see my current (fairly related) home brew project, The Spellmaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283005) - he gets something similar, but only at later levels, only for 1st to 3rd level spells, and he only gets to learn one spell of each level - and he's still wicked strong for it. If you're going to have "Unlimited Uses", you need a *serious* drawback - no access to high-level spells at all, multi-turn casting times, something, cause as is... well, as is this guy could Time Stop every turn. Just no.

First - just a general word of advice - you can just say "Sneak Attack Xd6," everyone will be fine with it. Second... why is this even here?

If this does not apply to costly material components, it's kinda meh. If it does apply to costly material components, it's broken - I'm pretty sure there's a way you could use this to generate infinite gold or items, even if I don't know it off the top of my head.

...a little clumsy, but okay. Really, you want to make things work so that (ideally) the class balances fine with prestige classes, or (less ideally) there just isn't worth prestiging out of - for instance, the aforementioned Spellmaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283005) gets what is actually a very crappy spell progression - all of his powerful stuff (including unlimited castings) are in class features. So, he isn't great PrC bait.
For this, I'd actually consider allowing prestiging, but make it clear that "+1 Spellcasting Level" does not give you everything this gives you.

i dont know how to insert a table, so this might not look as neat as it could ><

Do what I did - find a post with a table in it, quote it, and copy the formatting until you memorize how to do it yourself.

Tier spells
5th tier has 9 lvl spels

...why did you do things this way, and not just say "X Spells of Y level?"

Sticky spell:

...Roll Armour Class? Do you mean they don't have to make an attack roll? Also, you really need to clarify the language here - for instance, with ranged spells, to they go off as if they were targeted at that wall, can the prodigy specify a target when they apply to spell, or can they specify a target when the spell goes off?

Also, given the unlimited nature of their casting, this is kinda borked (especially as you didn't define an action type for "Setting it Off." So, there's nothing in the world to stop them from filling every square of a dungeon with fireballs. Or Summon Monster Xs. Or whatever.

Spell shape:

...fireball doesn't have an attack roll in the first place; if it did (a ranged touch attack), the mage could already add their BAB. You need to define these a lot more clearly - I have no idea how this one would actually play out. Would the fireball-sword target touch AC? Would it explode on a hit? What about not-attack spells?

Spell coating:
A little better, but you still need to define it more. What sort of targets are allowed? Does it hit the targeted creature? What if it's an AoE spell? Summoning? Does this only work with certain spells? What if the spell has special parameters (Like Teleport - you can't just say "I teleport," you have to say "Where to?"); if it affects the targeted creature, what happens if you use a range of "Personal"?

tracker spell:

This one isn't poorly defined in and of itself, but it's just as confusing as the thing it references.

Not trying to be supremely critical, but I think your issues here go a bit deeper than balance - especially for a class this ambitious, you need to be very familiar with the rules themselves before you can effectively home brew, and I don't think you're there yet (I may not even be there yet, for that matter.) I think you're describing things that make intuitive sense to you (add BAB to fireballs attack, for instance) when that isn't something that's at all defined within 3.5.

Somensjev
2013-05-11, 09:23 PM
ok, it takes too long to post one-by-one, so i'm gonna post a small group of them

i didnt even have one line of fluff for this one ><
oh well, this is the mounted prodigy

Hit die:
D10

Requirements:
To become a mounted prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Feats: mounted combat, mounted archery, animal affinity
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a paladin

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Special mount
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Ride by attack
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Bonus spell
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Bonus spell
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Spirited charge
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Bonus spell
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, Bonus spell
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, trample
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Bonus spell

--------------------

the wild prodigy

The wild prodigy has become so attuned with nature that he has gotten an animal companion, however he could not just stop at one so he got another animal companion and although that satisfied him for a bit he later had to get a third, because the more the merrier

Hit die:
D6

Requirements:
To become a wild prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Feats: animal affinity
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a ranger

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Animal companion
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Second animal companion
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, Bonus spell
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, Bonus spell
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Third animal companion

-------------

unarmed prodigy

An unarmed prodigy has spent so much time with monks that they have thrown down their weapons, and focused on their fists (and sticky spell), at least, for the moment

Hit die:
d10

Requirements:
To become an unarmed prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Base attack bonus: +6
Spells: ability to cast spells of 2nd tier
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a monk

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, improved sticky spell
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Improved unarmed strike
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Improved grapple, purity of the body, diamond body, diamond soul
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Greater sticky spell
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Deflect arrows, quivering palm
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, Timeless body
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Snatch arrows
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, Empty body
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, Stunning fist
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Perfect body

improved sticky spell: using improved sticky spell a prodigy can have up to three sticky spells active at any one time
greater sticky spell: using greater sticky spell a prodigy can have up to five sticky spells active at one time

Somensjev
2013-05-11, 09:43 PM
I'd scale back those skill points a bit, but it isn't a major thing. I suppose that having fewer knowledge skills sort of makes sense, if these are "Instinctual" casters.
for the skill points i wasnt sure how many i should give them, since they're meant to pretty much be a sponge when it comes to knowledge

...I actually like this way of doing things more than the 3.5 standard, but it isn't a change you should tack on to a single class - either get your DM to house-rule in Weapon Group Proficiencies, or live with things they way they are.

Why?
i did i that way because i believed it would be even more broken with metamagic feats

Way, way, way too powerful. For comparison, see my current (fairly related) home brew project, The Spellmaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283005) - he gets something similar, but only at later levels, only for 1st to 3rd level spells, and he only gets to learn one spell of each level - and he's still wicked strong for it. If you're going to have "Unlimited Uses", you need a *serious* drawback - no access to high-level spells at all, multi-turn casting times, something, cause as is... well, as is this guy could Time Stop every turn. Just no.
i might make it that every spell can only be used x times/per y

First - just a general word of advice - you can just say "Sneak Attack Xd6," everyone will be fine with it. Second... why is this even here?
i put it there to make the class feel a bit more like it picks up random knowledge from those around it

If this does not apply to costly material components, it's kinda meh. If it does apply to costly material components, it's broken - I'm pretty sure there's a way you could use this to generate infinite gold or items, even if I don't know it off the top of my head.
well, as we've discussed earlier in the thread, i might put an xp burn on the eschew materials, and it's an optional use, so they can decide to either use components or lose xp

...a little clumsy, but okay. Really, you want to make things work so that (ideally) the class balances fine with prestige classes, or (less ideally) there just isn't worth prestiging out of - for instance, the aforementioned Spellmaster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283005) gets what is actually a very crappy spell progression - all of his powerful stuff (including unlimited castings) are in class features. So, he isn't great PrC bait.
For this, I'd actually consider allowing prestiging, but make it clear that "+1 Spellcasting Level" does not give you everything this gives you.
that could work too, but with all the prestige classes and options avaliable i dont think many people would bother multiclassing anyway

Do what I did - find a post with a table in it, quote it, and copy the formatting until you memorize how to do it yourself.
ok, i'll do that

...why did you do things this way, and not just say "X Spells of Y level?"
i've got no idea, this is just what i thought of, so i wrote it down

...Roll Armour Class? Do you mean they don't have to make an attack roll? Also, you really need to clarify the language here - for instance, with ranged spells, to they go off as if they were targeted at that wall, can the prodigy specify a target when they apply to spell, or can they specify a target when the spell goes off?
ok, i'm no longer sure what i meant about the roll armour class.. i think it was even if the attack fails, as long as it's within a certain amount from the targets armour class it'll activate
think of sticky spell sort of like c4, where the prodigy has a remote detonator, it might help understand a bit, if not i'll try to explain better
and they specify the target when they apply the spell

Also, given the unlimited nature of their casting, this is kinda borked (especially as you didn't define an action type for "Setting it Off." So, there's nothing in the world to stop them from filling every square of a dungeon with fireballs. Or Summon Monster Xs. Or whatever.
setting off a sticky spell would be an instant action out of combat, and a standard action in combat, requires concentration check DC15, invokes attacks of opportunity
ok, that's true, i think i wanted them to only have one sticky spell active at a time, except when they become an unarmed prodigy

...fireball doesn't have an attack roll in the first place; if it did (a ranged touch attack), the mage could already add their BAB. You need to define these a lot more clearly - I have no idea how this one would actually play out. Would the fireball-sword target touch AC? Would it explode on a hit? What about not-attack spells?
when the sword hits, you roll the damage of the sword, then apply damage from the fireball, i might limit it to only offensive spells, so as to stop things like teleporting and summon monster x

A little better, but you still need to define it more. What sort of targets are allowed? Does it hit the targeted creature? What if it's an AoE spell? Summoning? Does this only work with certain spells? What if the spell has special parameters (Like Teleport - you can't just say "I teleport," you have to say "Where to?"); if it affects the targeted creature, what happens if you use a range of "Personal"?
ok, i'll make it only offensive spells, and if it's AoE then treat it just like if the prodigy had cast an AoE spell normally

This one isn't poorly defined in and of itself, but it's just as confusing as the thing it references.

Not trying to be supremely critical, but I think your issues here go a bit deeper than balance - especially for a class this ambitious, you need to be very familiar with the rules themselves before you can effectively home brew, and I don't think you're there yet (I may not even be there yet, for that matter.) I think you're describing things that make intuitive sense to you (add BAB to fireballs attack, for instance) when that isn't something that's at all defined within 3.5.

i appreciate the criticism, coz not only am i getting good ideas, but i'm also realising just how broken most of the class is

Somensjev
2013-05-12, 02:57 AM
@the mentalist

i can change the hit die, i just thought d12 was better for combat

i completely forgot about the weapon finesse thing, i was gonna change it to something else once i found a feat that could work (i'm thinking spell penetration or something)

can easily change to all simple weapons and up to five martial weapons

and bonus feats can be reduced, i just dont like it when there's a level where you dont get anything even remotely noteworthy

i wasnt sure of the progression for saves, can easily be modified

Somensjev
2013-05-12, 03:45 AM
Artificer prodigies have heard that artificers tinker with magic that does not conform to arcane or divine classifications, and then become obsessed with learning this new form of magic, they will immediately try to find an artificer willing to teach them.

Hit die:
d6

Requirements:
To become an artificer prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Feats: craft item, craft magic arms and armour
Spells: ability to cast spells of tier 2
Special: must have spent a week in the presence of an artificer

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Item creation, scribe scroll, artificer knowledge, artisan bonus, disable trap
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Brew potion
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Craft wondrous item
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Craft homunculus, retain essence
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Metamagic spell trigger, craft wand, craft rod
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, Metamagic spell completion, craft staff
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Skill mastery
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, Craft ring

------------------------

An arcane prodigy has decided to focus more on the arcane side of his gift. He has gone to learn with a sorcerer or wizard, and has come back much more powerful

Hit die:
d4

Requirements:
To become a arcane prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Feats: any 2 metamagic feats
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a sorcerer/ wizard

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Summon familiar(if they learnt under a sorcerer), Read magic (if they learnt under a wizard)
2, +2, +0, +2, +0,
4, +4, +1, +4, +1
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Bonus spell
6, +6, +2, +6, +2
8, +8, +2, +8, +2
10, +10, +3, +10, +3

-----------------------

for the basic prodigy they're meant to choose two domains for their divine spells, i forgot that
no fluff for this one

Hit die:
d10

Requirements:
To become a divine prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a cleric

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Choose 2 domains
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Turn/ rebuke undead
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Bonus spell of any known domain
4, +4, +1, +4, +1
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Bonus spell of any known domain
6, +6, +2, +6, +2
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Bonus spell of any known domain
8, +8, +2, +8, +2
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, Bonus spell of any known domain
10, +10, +3, +10, +3

----------------------------------------

A ranged prodigy will use any ranged weapon at their disposal, and will obviously use magic to enhance its power, speed and accuracy

Hit die:
d10

Requirements:
To become a ranged prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Base attack bonus: +4
Feats: point blank shot, dodge, mobility, Far shot
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a ranger

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Proficiency with all bows/crossbows
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Track, wild empathy
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Precise shot, rapid shot
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Many shot
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Woodland stride
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, Shot on the run
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Swift tracker
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, camouflage
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, Improved precise shot
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Hide in plain sight

----------------

Silent prodigies have figured out the stealthy capabilities of unlimited spells. And they asked the rogue to teach them a couple tricks of the trade, such as trap finding and better sneak attacks

Hit die:
d6

Requirements:
To become a silent prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Base attack bonus: +1
Skills: 4 ranks in move silently, 4 ranks in hide
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a rogue

level, BAB, fort save, Ref save, Will save, special
1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Sneak attack+7d6, Trap finding
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, evasion
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Sneak attack +8d6 Trap sense +1
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Uncanny dodge
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Trap sense +2
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, Improved uncanny dodge
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Sneak attack +9d6, trap sense +3
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, Trap sense +4
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Sneak attack +10d6

---------------------

Ever watched the birds in the sky and wondered what it would be like to have so much freedom, well the winged prodigy has taken this one step further and grown wings through sheer will power alone

Hit die:
D4

Requirements:
To become a combat prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a flock of any birds

1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Wings
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Speak with birds
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, Hollow bones
4, +4, +1, +4, +1,
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, Bonus spell
6, +6, +2, +6, +2,
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, Sleep flight
9, +9, +3, +9, +3,
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Bonus spell

Wings: a winged prodigy has large bird wings of any colours. They have a base fly speed of 30ft and can glide/ fly indefinitely, they have an average manoeuvrability

Speak with birds: a winged prodigy knows the bird song of every species of bird, and can speak with any type of bird

Hollow bones: a winged prodigy takes a -2 to armour class, however their flight speed increases by 50%

Sleep flight: a winged prodigy can fly while sleeping with no worries of crashing, however they fly 50% slower when sleeping

i deleted about two or three of the classes, and will post the remaining five soon

Somensjev
2013-05-12, 05:27 AM
Dragon prodigies have found a dragon of the closest alignment to them and ask if the dragon will train them. They learn many things from dragons but they never stop learning

Hit die:
d8

Requirements:
To become a dragon prodigy a character must meet the following criteria
Base attack bonus: +6
Feats: animal affinity
Special: must have spent at least one week in the company of a dragon of the selected colour

You can only get this class once

I'm going to use a couple of dragon as examples but you can play any colour dragon prodigy

When making a dragon prodigy follow these guidelines
dragon prodigy level = Age of dragon
1 = Wyrmling, very young, young
2 = juvenile
3 = Young adult
4 = Adult
5 = Mature adult
6 = old
7 = Very old
8 = ancient
9 = wyrm
10 = Great wyrm
And just take their abilities from the appropriate age
Any time they don’t learn any thing at that age just learn a bonus spell
They get the breath weapons at level 1, the strength of a breath weapon is 2d4 per dragon prodigy level if they have two breath weapons
But if they only have one breath weapon its power is 2d10 per dragon prodigy level

You get the abilities by going into the monster manual and finding the dragon you want, then by using the level to age conversion chart to find the abilities you gain at each level

copper dragon prodigyy
level, Base attack bonus, Fort save, Ref save, Will save, special
1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Immunity to acid, spider climb
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Bonus spell
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, DR 5/magic
4, +4, +1, +4, +1, Stone shape
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, DR 10/magic
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, Transmute rock to mud/ mud to rock
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, DR 15/magic
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, Wall of stone
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, DR 20/magic
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Move earth

red dragon prodigy
level, Base attack bonus, Fort save, Ref save, Will save, special
1, +1, +0, +1, +0, Immunity to fire, Vulnerability to cold
2, +2, +0, +2, +0, Locate object
3, +3, +1, +3, +1, DR 5/magic
5, +5, +1, +5, +1, DR 10/magic
6, +6, +2, +6, +2, suggestion
7, +7, +2, +7, +2, DR 15/magic
8, +8, +2, +8, +2, Find the path
9, +9, +3, +9, +3, DR 20/magic
10, +10, +3, +10, +3, Discern location

anacalgion
2013-05-12, 06:28 PM
Alright at this point, I think the most important thing you can do is explain why you're making this class. What do you envision it doing and how does it differ from other classes? That should help me and other help you better than posting prestige classes will.

Somensjev
2013-05-13, 03:04 AM
Alright at this point, I think the most important thing you can do is explain why you're making this class. What do you envision it doing and how does it differ from other classes? That should help me and other help you better than posting prestige classes will.

well, the whole point of it is the prestige classes, they give it the potential to be a one-man party