PDA

View Full Version : What to buy and do with a ECL 12 Ambush Drake?

CyberThread
2013-05-10, 11:43 PM
So looking to make a monster stronger as it is a mix of a a PC and NPC.

I am looking into what may be needed for a "12th" level Ambush drake

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060728a *look at the bottom for character levels*

It has fly, natural attacks , dragon stats, breath attacks, poison bite, but the one big down side is it has a -4 to INT and no magic or SLAs besides a breath that does slow.

I am looking at doing a TOB class, crusader or sword sage as the INT is hit hard on a warblade, just wondering if should do a solid full 5 swordsage/crusader, or look into some sort of PRC as I have a full 7 BAB and Health to work from due to the monster levels. I am NEEDING to make this a sort of front line battle tank.

Also would like some suggestions on items to get this creation?

Akal Saris
2013-05-11, 12:07 AM
I think swordsage might fit the style better - it continues your 6 skills/level and gives a lot more flexibility to make up for few class features.

Well, you have 2 good choices for neck items:

1) amulet of mighty fists +1 - expensive but applies to all natural weapons

2) Necklace of Natural attacks (savage species) - good if you have a single attack that you want to buff up with various +1 or +2 abilities

Some other stuff I'd look at:
-a melee weapon to grip in a claw, so you can use iterative attacks before your natural attacks
- cloak of resistance, str/dex/con boosts, some barding
- Maybe check my poisons guide for some ideas on boosting the effectiveness of the bite's natural poison

Yogibear41
2013-05-11, 12:50 AM
You could go swift hunter and use flyby attack and bite for skirmish damage, but that might not be so great since you are going to be 7 levels behind.

I will watch this thread with anticipation because I now have an interest in playing one of these guys lol.

EDIT: I'd recommned buying a ring of feather fall its pretty cheap and theres nothing worse than plummeting to your death after being paralyzed mid air by a spell.

Also you should take at least 1 class that gives your armor proficiency before jumping into a prestige class since not all of them do, and then I'd try to pick up a mithril breast plate or a mithril chain shirt depending on how high your dex is. Will probably have to be custom made since your not exactly the average customer, might want to take ranks in craft so you can do it yourself if your int isn't to horrible after that -4, since you do have +6 skill ranks.

CyberThread
2013-05-11, 01:30 AM
Hmm , am thinking of also maybe getting that perceptual collar of attendance, by the april fools book,as I will need to use a hand sometimes.

Also something I have edited in

I am NEEDING to make this a sort of front line battle tank.

Darrin
2013-05-11, 07:58 AM
I am NEEDING to make this a sort of front line battle tank.

Ambush Drake 7/Soldier of Light 1/Crusader 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10.

(Soldier of Light is from Deities & Demigods. You'll need a "gimme" from the DM to reconcile the Elishar/Wee-Jas deity stuff, but add nightsticks = win button.)

Ambush Drake 7/Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Highland Stalker 4/Ranger 8.

Take Swift Hunter at ECL 12. TWF with Improved Unarmed Strike -2/armor spikes -2/bite -5/claw -5/claw -5, Travel Devotion x3. 5d6 skirmish damage with Improved Skirmish.

Ambush Drake 7/War Mind 5/Crusader 8.

Sweeping Strike + ToB strikes. Expansion + Thicket of Blades for AoO/Stand Still/Improved Trip/etc.

Ambush Drake 7/Hellreaver 5/Crusader 8.

Between Devoted Spirit stances/strikes and Divine Succor, you can keep your allies topped off at nearly full HP for most of the battle. If you start to run low on holy fury points, you can replenish by giving yourself 2 Con damage.

Yogibear41
2013-05-11, 11:24 AM
Well if you want to be a tank, and your allowed flaws you can take 2 flaws to start level 1 with 3 feats so you can pick up toughness then take roll with it twice to give you damage reduction 4/- at level 1 then take it again every 3rd level to keep giving yourself damage reduction.

CyberThread
2013-05-11, 11:55 AM
That is some nice things , can hellreaver build survive doing only 4 levels of the class, so you can take a one level dip of crusader?

The soilder of light is a little to abusive but ty :P

Swift hunters out of the question as it is more mobile based, and while I love the warmind idea, I have no experience with PSI.